Chefelf.com Night Life: Lucas announces a 5th Indiana Jones Movie - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Lucas announces a 5th Indiana Jones Movie Shia LaBeouf and the Quest for Acting?

#1 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

Another one? Why does Lucas keep doing this? It couldn't be for the money. I can only guess it's ego. He doesn't realize how crap he's become. He said he doesn't read the reviews. The only fanboys he hangs with are the sycophants at force.net who tell "George" he's wonderful. He must just see the money piling in and figure he's still cool:

Lucas said he didn't pay much attention to the reception from critics and fans to "Crystal Skull," a sci-fi adventure set in the 1950s. But he says he definitely sees a future for Dr. Jones. A fifth movie is certainly a possibility.

"The franchise really depends on me coming up with a good idea," Lucas said. "And that series is very research-intensive. So we're doing research now to see if we can't come up with another object for him to chase ... hopefully we'll come up with something."

http://www.sfgate.co...amp;type=movies
(* Credit to AP for managing to include a Spoiler in the first paragraph. Some people prefer to watch crap on DVD you know...)

The reaction on Slashdot to Lucas' announcement was savage. I only counted two comments supportive. Why haven't the force.net bedwetters rushed to his aid? You'll laugh and you'll cry at this best-of the Slashdot comments.

http://entertainment...8/08/09/0322209

"Indiana Jones and The Search for More Money"?

The franchise is DEAD. This last iteration, "Indiana Jones and the Crystal McGuffin" put a bullet in it. George, STOP LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE TELLING YOU THAT YOU'RE GOOD. They're lying to you. Your last good idea you had was hiring Irvin Kershner and Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan for Empire.

Lets face it, the guy hasn't come up with a good idea in quite some time.

It seems to me that Lucas' first movie, THX 1138 can be seen as an allegory for his career. The "American Zoetrope [wikipedia.org]" production house he formed with Francis Ford Coppola back in the revolutionary days of the late '60s in San Francisco was all about the independent thinker escaping from the machine of control and exploitation which was the "old boys'" movie studio system at the time.

You just wait for American Grafitti 2, complete with CGI exploding '57 Chevy Impalas spinning through the air...

That old fart had two really good film ideas. With the first idea he got two really good films, Star Wars and Empire, and then 4 (soon 5) crappy empty sequels. The second idea, Raiders, resulted in one really good movie and one passable movie out of 3 sequels. I feel sorry for the sad joke he's become.

Precocious, annoying children only amuse mothers in the full flush of new-kid hormones.

Because he's a hack who has nowadays completely succumb to CGI for films. He's obviously never been all that great, he's just always had other people helping him. Given free reign, he tends to make worthless crap.

Somebody stop him

He is only okay when it comes to special effects. As soon as an actor appears on screen, it turns to crap. Look at how he managed to turn each and every one of the extremely talented all-star cast of the Star Wars prequels into wooden robots. Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, each and every one of them is a brilliant actor with lots of great roles to their name (well, Natalie Portman is still young, but she'll get there), but all of them managed to give the absolute worst performance of their career in Lucas' films. That's a pretty good sign that he's not really a very good director at all.

I *hate* when people say that about movies. "Hey, it's just a fun movie. Turn your brain off and have fun!" No. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but only when a movie earns it. A good movie (even if it's just a fun movie) sucks you in and makes you to suspend your disbelief. If you have to put effort into suspending your disbelief, then the movie isn't doing its job. If you have to fight with yourself to ignore the stupidity, then it's just a bad movie.

I know that Lucas thinks that everyone 'relies on him" to come up with good ideas... but seriously, Lucus is a one trick pony. He makes exactly one good movie in a series, then he either hands it off to someone who is talented or he makes a crapfest himself.

Happy endings should never be preferred over a good "bleak" ending, especially within the dystopian genre. Sad endings stick with you, whereas happy endings are the same thing over and over again. Of course, if everyone took up this theory, sad endings would probably become the status quo and would thus be pretty lame too. tongue.gif

the franchise died with the first shot of the latest film which was a frikkin CGI gopher.

Shia LaBeouf can't act.

The roles should be switched, perhaps -- at least Lucas should stop writing because, from his own admission, he really really stinks at writing dialogue. But he's an OK director, he has an eye for imagery. I don't think I'm alone in thinking he wanted the IJ4 movie to hint at Star Wars as a plot device (aliens, right?) since, as he said (paraphrased) "I wanted it to be more far out but Steve kinda stopped me on that"

And let us never speak of kingdoms of crystal skulls again.

> "The franchise really depends on me coming up with a good idea", said Lucas.
We're f#cked!

All three of the prequels were riddled with problems and almost completely devoid of redeeming value other than some nice eye-candy. The Phantom Menace, for example, featured a cute little boy with Star Trekkian sensor-readings that claim that he's special that 'accidented' his way into being a hero in the end. Accompanying him was Jar Jar, a clumsy creature that strained the term 'comic relief', two droids, a young queen, and two Jedi who were 'charismatic' enough to put Robin Williams to sleep. They went on an adventure across the stars to ... put a stop to a trade blockade.... masterminded by creatures that were sadly unconvincing. Nothing in there about the original trilogy. It's just dull. Dull dull dull. And that's only the first of the three. Thankfully, it's also the least offensive. It's nice that you enjoyed them because it means you didn't waste your time or your money. Frankly, I envy you for that. But, dude, the prequels are bad. They're not bad because other movies were better, they're bad because they're bad.

George Lucas lost something in the mid 80's and never got it back. I wasn't sure of that until I saw Indy 4. His writing has become so sophomoric that he has to defend himself in interviews by blaming the fans and claiming that he's paying homages to other movies. Not good.

Indiana Jones and the Still Beating Heart of George Lucas. Seriously, if the franchise really depends on Lucas coming up with a good idea, they might as well call it a day right now.

We could call the new film "Indiana Jones: A Bridge Too Far".

Remember that one scene, where the crazy Arab is doing his thing, and Indy simply pulls out his gun and shoots him? That scene is all wrong, due to editing restraints, we don't get to see that in fact, the Arab shot at Indy first (but missed), so Indy shot him in self-defense.

Perhaps they could make "The Indiana Jones Holiday Special" as an interim measure.

...enough all ready. Time for something NEW, Lucas!

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:36 PM

All of that was awesome. I enjoy reading absolute carnage and destruction toward failure. It's why I'm here in the first place: The Reasons to Hate.

Bleah, I still haven't seen Indy 4 yet. Maybe I'll watch it on dvd... possibly maybe. I don't even care about new movies anymore.

This post has been edited by Vesuvius: 10 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

#3 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (Vesuvius @ Aug 11 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All of that was awesome. I enjoy reading absolute carnage and destruction toward failure. It's why I'm here in the first place: The Reasons to Hate.

Yeah. The venom surprised even me. He doesn't read the reviews, is widely reviled, yet still makes money. Google: "Results 1 - 10 of about 40,200 for george lucas raped my childhood."

QUOTE (Vesuvius @ Aug 11 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bleah, I still haven't seen Indy 4 yet. Maybe I'll watch it on dvd... possibly maybe. I don't even care about new movies anymore.

After the AP article spilled the spoilers and the Slashdot buzz, DVD. Maybe. It couldn't be as bad as Temple of Doom.

#4 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Aug 11 2008, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. The venom surprised even me. He doesn't read the reviews, is widely reviled, yet still makes money. Google: "Results 1 - 10 of about 40,200 for george lucas raped my childhood."

I guess for the real serious fans, they could claim that their childhood was "raped." Personally I see it as defication and random urinations behind the drive thru of a once repectable fast-food chain. That or either taking the best food items off the menu to introduce something new and tasteless.

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Aug 11 2008, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After the AP article spilled the spoilers and the Slashdot buzz, DVD. Maybe. It couldn't be as bad as Temple of Doom.

Heh, When I was a kid, I really liked ToD, but I now find that one the least likely to watch. I don't think it's horrible, it's just silly/fun. No where near as bad as a sitting of the PT in any way.

#5 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

I remember reading at some point George and Steve signed a 5-movie deal in the late seventies, so I expected this.

I just didn't like it.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#6 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Aug 17 2008, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember reading at some point George and Steve signed a 5-movie deal in the late seventies, so I expected this.

I just didn't like it.

What?! Did they just remember that this deal was made?! What's the point of waiting so long after Last Crusade? Or was Lucas seriously waiting for the invention of CGI so that he could later ruin films with his "new" style of direction.

#7 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

Holly crap! Lucas, Spielberg and Ford pocketed $95M *EACH* for the 4th Indiana Jones Pic.

Current worldwide box office gross: $780,106,671;
Differential to be divvied up: $380,106,671;
Quarter-stake take for Lucas, Spielberg and Ford: $95,026,667.75 *each*

http://www.rushprnew...bscene-profits/

#8 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Aug 20 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holly crap! Lucas, Spielberg and Ford pocketed $95M *EACH* for the 4th Indiana Jones Pic.

That's sick. I haven't heard too much good about this film either. I don't think it was that awesome of a film.

#9 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

They should get Spielberg to one of those MPAA commercials saying:

"Hi, I'm Steven Spielberg. I'm a Director, but I don't make very much. I only made $95 million for my last movie. It sounds a lot, but it's about average for me. So please don't copy. Oh and BTW sorry me and my best bud Tom used our celebrity status to promote the invasion of Iraq. As long as that limbless Iraqi kid remembers to keep his childhood innocence he can still enjoy the magic of my movies. LOL. Oh where was I. Yes. Don't copy. It's wrong."

This post has been edited by Toru-chan: 20 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

#10 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Aug 20 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and BTW sorry me and my best bud Tom used our celebrity status to promote the invasion of Iraq.

I had a feeling of this... especially with that obstinate kid that's supposed to be Tom's son in the film WotW. It seemed that that was the real underlying message of the film. The boy wanting to go to the army and all parents should let their kids go because Tom Cruise did it in the movie.

#11 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Well the fourth movie wasn't as bad as I expected (still a lot better than the second one), but it wasn't what I'd call good either. They really ought to put this franchise to bed (then smother it to death with a pillow).

#12 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:00 AM

Oh South Park. You've done it *AGAIN*. Yes, as in *TWICE*.

If the aim of South Park, the long-running TV cartoon, is to shock, then it succeeded in the opening episode of its 12th series, aired Thursday night in the US.

The China Problem offered a novel interpretation of the most recent Indiana Jones movie, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: rather than being an irreverent piece of old fashioned cinematic high jinks, the film was actually about the rape of Indiana by his makers, Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas.

Three scenes in the episode show the two – possibly the most powerful film-makers in Hollywood – pinning Indiana Jones to the ground, pulling down his trousers and making him "squeal like a pig".

http://www.guardian....stevenspielberg

#13 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:31 AM

laugh.gif Oh that is wrong!

#14 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

Finally saw this movie at a friends. Before I watched asked my friend, "Is it really that bad?" He replied with an enigmatic "It's best if I tell you it sucks. Keep your expectations low." I thought maybe this was reverse psychology, or is reverse-reverse psychology? Either way, watched it thinking maybe it wasn't going to be as bad as I'd heard.

Once the lame CGI prairie dog was off the screen, for the next ten minutes I thought maybe this was going to be fun after all. Then I learned what "nuked the fridge" meant. I could have forgiven that if the movie got better, but after that it went downhill and never recovered. The end, with the CGI aliens and CGI spaceship was a bad joke. The plot just didn't make sense, is full of holes and and there was never a "how will they get out of this moment". The movie lacked heart. The Karen Allen reintroduction was poorly done, and given this is a Lucas movie as soon as Shia Lebeoff said "Mary" at the start of the movie I knew it would be her. Shows how pathetically predictable Lucas has become, huh? All the faults are listed here: http://www.imdb.com/...omments?start=0

I thought they were supposed to be laying off the CGI? That's what the PR for this movie said, but the CGI was just so damned thick it was ridiculous. And Mutt Williams swinging through the trees with his CGI monkeys? The CGI prairie dog that didn't look like a prairie dog? Why didn't they just get a real prairie dog to jump out of the dirt pile? IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEAPER TO SHOOT, LOOKED BETTER ON FILM AND THEY STILL COULD DO IT WITH NO RISK TO THE CRITTER. The CGI at the end is so over the top it's absurd.

This movie is as bad as the Star Wars PT. The only difference is the Star Wars PT took itself very seriously, where as this thing treats itself as a joke. Spielberg I cannot forgive, because he can and has made good movies in the past. I dunno. What the hell happened to his guy? Is he on crack? Or is he just that full of himself?

Yet too many movie critics like Ebert gave his thing absurdly high ratings (3.5 / 4 stars). WTF? Spielberg, Lucas and Ford each pocketed $90M for making this movie. Well last we heard Lucas' Clone Wars toons were rating well anyway. Little wonder. These guys keep laying steaming turds and people keep paying to see them. And they'll keep doing it.

I recently watched a drama about a 16 year old girl playing Tennis I enjoyed infinitely more than this. What can I say? Something is very wrong with Hollywood.

#15 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Oct 30 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once the lame CGI prairie dog was off the screen, for the next ten minutes I thought maybe this was going to be fun after all. ...The Karen Allen reintroduction was poorly done,

So did I. The intro panning over the field at taking in the secenery was like Last Crusades intro, but then when I was hit with Elvis, I began to lose interest. And yes, Karen Allen should have been much frigin' cooler in this film. She was awesome in Raiders!

The CGI at the end is so over the top it's absurd.

Exactly! How come this crap isn't in history books?! Like I said in another post, the events in the other Indy films could very well be unknown mysteries that no one would know about, but the ginormous ship tearing up the country of Peru should be mentioned somewhere, even to this day.

This movie is as bad as the Star Wars PT. The only difference is the Star Wars PT took itself very seriously, where as this thing treats itself as a joke.

Yes, much like the unnecessary use of the "Wilhelms Scream" by the college student that didn't do any falling or dying. It was pointless and they actually made fun of Harrison's age, which is really Spielberg and Lucas' fault for making the film so late.

Is he [Spielberg] on crack?

Well, ...yes. He is. Didn't you know that the ability to afford crack is God's way of showing people that they make too much money?

These guys keep laying steaming turds and people keep paying to see them. And they'll keep doing it.

Okay, this one made me almost spit up my drink. Nicely worded. "Turd" heh heh heh... laugh.gif

Something is very wrong with Hollywood.

You bet there is! And people will keep paying to see ilk of this sort so long as they're entertained.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size