Chefelf.com Night Life: Privatization of Space Exploration - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Privatization of Space Exploration Should our first message to extraterrestrials be "Have it Your Wa

#61 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

if they're going to try to distract us from the state of affairs that make them rich and us slaves to the system, they could at least try some quality programming... is it so much to ask for a slightly more sophisticated methode of hypnosis...

either suck me into the matrix with something that will work or get off my back...

but don't try and syphon my life away with boybands and hillbilly talkshows...

#62 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Apr 16 2006, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that's the problem. Culture is an industry designed to keep us reliant on itself. It's grinding individuality and free exp​ression into dust in favor of a homologous human herd with the power-hungry world leaders as its shepherd, while distracting us with itself so we can't see it for what it really is.

What? Individuality has grown leaps and bound ever since the inception of the internet. The ability to reach anybody anonymously has allowed people to express themselves as they see fit. Message boards, Image boards, BBCs, IRC, blogs, any medium imaginable; the ability to express one's self and tailor make their image however they desire without reprisal or consequences.

Individuality is the ability to say what is wanted to be said and be heard by those who may or may not want to listen, and we have the greatest tool for that: People speak and hear and millions of gigabytes a second.

You guys say that there is no choice anymore, that no matter what you do you you are a whore. There is choice, you don't have to live life as a hermit. You can choose to not watch crappy TV, or buy a shitty album; you can choose what or who to listen to; you have choice, you have options. Totally over reacting guys.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#63 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Kirby @ Apr 20 2006, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys say that there is no choice anymore, that no matter what you do you you are a whore. There is choice, you don't have to live life as a hermit. You can choose to not watch crappy TV, or buy a shitty album; you can choose what or who to listen to; you have choice, you have options. Totally over reacting guys.

we have options...

to be the only one listening to good music? i listen to interesting music, but the problem is the mainstream controls the majority and has overvolumed ipods on buses and cars with overbuffed stereos booming out the top 40 crap, so people like me who'se stomach is churned by popular boyband songs about date rape are forced to hear it everyday....

people defend pepsiculture... let people enjoy crap i don't care, but they fuck up things that are meaningful to us... the Crow was an awsome subcultural event of a film, but pepsico and MTV got their corrosive talons in their to exploit, assimilate, and infect. and they destroyed the goth scene, leaving a group of try hard fuckwits dressing in black and destroying the clubs...

they labled three bands who had nothing in common as grunge because they all came from seattle a rock band (pearl jam), a punk band (nirvana), a metal band (soundgarden) just so they could use to bait the youth of the early 90s... and the shit still goes on...

then you had korn adn limp biscuit built by pepsi to sell the youth addidas and make them think they were rebelling...

and now you can't trust anything 'cause it all tastes like subcultural propoganda now!

no... there's a loosing war out there for independant art and free thought... and the most dangerous thing out there is the lie that a majority of cultural slaves think they chose the things they love.

its all bullshit now... and i've accepted that... the average human REALLY uses 2% of their brain...
just enough to know the way to work, and how to buy things... mainstream opium of the masses does the rest.

#64 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

I definitely agree with the statement that the goth subculture has been destroyed. It's so very sad...
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#65 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

and not the cool 'sad' it used to be wink.gif

This post has been edited by barend: 20 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

#66 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:57 AM

The funniest example to me of what you're describing there, Barend, is snowboarding. I remember when you would see maybe a dozen boarders on a mountain. They were no different from the skiers, except that they were busting their asses trying out the new toy. Then the marketing machine kicked in, aggressively selling snowboarding as some kind of "Extreme" sport, with its own subculture and clothing. Boarding was grunge while skiing was something your parents did. It was so obvious and hillarious that even a child could make fun of it, and yet it caught on 100%.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#67 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Apr 16 2006, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, don't have sex with inanimate objects!

laugh.gif

...awesome
thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 21 2006, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The funniest example to me of what you're describing there, Barend, is snowboarding. I remember when you would see maybe a dozen boarders on a mountain. They were no different from the skiers, except that they were busting their asses trying out the new toy. Then the marketing machine kicked in, aggressively selling snowboarding as some kind of "Extreme" sport, with its own subculture and clothing. Boarding was grunge while skiing was something your parents did. It was so obvious and hillarious that even a child could make fun of it, and yet it caught on 100%.

Oh man. I broke my tailbone snowboarding a few years ago and it still hurts to this day. God Damn Snowboarding, Snowboarders (especially all those little 7yearolds who where jumping me while I writhed in pain on the side of the mountain) Snow Boards, and Grunge.

#68 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

Kirby: Sure, I can say "I don't want to watch television." and not do it, and I can look at what websites on the Internet (at least for now), but it's the last effort of dying free thought that's being rapidly replaced by the culture industry. Eventually everything gets chewed up and spit back out as just another commodity. Music, art, sub cultures - hell, there's even apparently this "geek chic" crap. Everything is flattened out and packaged for the lowest common denomenator so that the most people can identify with and purchase it. It creates an alienating atmosphere that stifles real creative exp​ression in favor of what appeals to the masses.

Saying "You can still find good stuff!" fails to address the concern, as does your statement concerning "individuality." Firstly, it has become increasingly difficult to learn about non-commercialized items in society. Sure, I can find good music, if I look really really hard, and hope that there is some small method of production, or file share and can find someone with the songs, but that's rather pitiful. Secondly, how can you call someone an individual if his freedom to say what he wants amounts to expressing what brand of clothing he wears, which is in itself dictated to him by the media? All of those "millions of gigabites" grow more uniform, and will continue to do so.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size