Sports

#1 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

What about a sports subforum.
Think about it.
Football (or like Americans name it ''soccer''), Basketball, Baseball, American Football

#2 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

Meyh, sports are boring. Oh, and American Football is called 'Gridion'.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#3 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

That's 'Gridiron' tongue.gif
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#4 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

Sports most certainly arent boring. they kick ass!!! finally a sports forum. I am a swimmer. i met a swimmer from italy this summer. he was wearing a speedo and didnt speak english.

edit: oh yah, american football is just called football over here. i dont know where you got gridiron. Im not a fan of REal Futbol but its interesting.

This post has been edited by Revan-47: 31 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#5 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Gridiron:
Refers to American or Canadian football
Is a football field

I don't care for (American) football. I enjoy hockey and basketball. I'm done talking about sports now.
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#6 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

I enjoy Football (soccer) a lot, and some others, other sports, and sports aren't boring.

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

Well, as a rule I tend to only open subforums when other forums are getting a lot of discussion about a particular topic. I don't really recall seeing any sports discussion here so I'm not sure we really need one. I don't want to open it for nothing.

That being said, if there is a demand I would definitely open a sub forum for just about anything.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#8 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

Gridiron is what we call american football. It's fun to watch. For sports, I like pro wrestling. It's not really a sport, but it's fun.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#9 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

I like to watch... um... I've forgotten. But it's the only sport I've ever watched an entire competition of.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#10 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Feb 1 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's 'Gridiron' tongue.gif

Meyh, it's a crap sport anyway. The only sport that I like is Baseball, though having years of Cricket and Aussie Rules Football forced upon me, I can sit through them for a time. Gaelic Footballs allright as well.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#11 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Feb 1 2006, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meyh, it's a crap sport anyway. The only sport that I like is Baseball, though having years of Cricket and Aussie Rules Football forced upon me, I can sit through them for a time. Gaelic Footballs allright as well.

Aussie Rules Football? Gaelic Football? Sounds interesting. What's the difference to ordinary football?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#12 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

Galeic is soccer, but you can kick the ball into your hands. After a few steps, you have to bounce the ball, then a few more you have to kick it to yourself if you haven't gotten rid of it yet. I think apart from that it's mostly the same as soccer, though you may be able to tack opponents. It's been years since I've played it. AFL(short for Australian Football League, but is also used as shorthand for Aussie Rules Football)is played with a more ovoid ball, larger then a gridiron ball, but less pointy. Players can pick the ball up and run with it, but must bounce it every ten metres or so. They can pass the ball by kicking it, or handballing it(placing it on one hand, and punching it with the other). If somebody kicks the ball and you catch it on the full, it's called a mark and you get a free kick. The goals consist of four posts, two large ones in the centre, and two smaller ones outside them. Kicking the ball between the middle posts is a goal, six points. Between the outer ones is only worth one point. You could probably get a better idea of the rules if you look up some of the official sites.
As Australia is the only country that plays AFL, and Ireland the only ones that play Gaelic(or at least play it seriously), each year we have an 'International Rules' tournament, where the two countries put forward a team each and play three games whos rules are a hybrid between the two sports. That's actually really good to watch.

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

Wow, thanks for the information. Although I'm a little disappointed, thought they'd extend the rules to allow ripping out the other's throats or something like that... well, guess you can't have anything. sleep.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:27 AM

Sadly not...and they're trying to make it less violent. Personally, I think it defeats the point.

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jan 31 2006, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, as a rule I tend to only open subforums when other forums are getting a lot of discussion about a particular topic. I don't really recall seeing any sports discussion here so I'm not sure we really need one. I don't want to open it for nothing.

That being said, if there is a demand I would definitely open a sub forum for just about anything.

damn.... well given the 2 whole responses to my A1 thread, i'm guessing a motorsport subforum's out of the question....

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size