Chefelf.com Night Life: Did the sorcerer's apprentice ask for help? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Did the sorcerer's apprentice ask for help? calling Joseph Campbell

#1 User is offline   Remotely Despondent Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:37 AM

I'm not sure about this, but didn't GL's exwife help him pen Star Wars (the novel?)

ps- I always liked the subtitles, "from the adventures of Luke Skywalker"

or in *the art of Star Wars*, "from the journal of the whills." (what does THAT mean?)
just the notion that there was more was intriguing. "I said Just the NOTION, marge"

#2 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:03 AM

Actually, I believe it was written by Alan Dean Foster. Lucas is credited more often than not, but it was being written during the making of Star Wars. As I understand it Foster was working from the Lucas' developing script.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#3 User is offline   Remotely Despondent Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:33 AM

ADF wrote the other novelizations (and that Splinter book that fed the faithful in 1978), but the paperback copy I have has Lucas' name in bold print. you know, the book with 16 pages of photos for the upcoming movie? Maybe they are one and the same and ADF ghosted it. I just seem to recall hearing Lucas' wife helping him with the storyline and if that is the case- where the heck is she?

#4 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:07 PM

I'll try and find the source I got this from. I remember reading about it a few years ago, but am having trouble remembering where exactly it was from. I normally don't like posting responses to serious questions without some sort of evidence for my statement. I just for the life of me cannot remember where it came from. If I can find the details I'll repost.

Cheers,
Trent
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#5 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:14 AM

I don't ever remember reading anywhere that his Lucas’ wife helped GL in writing the script, though I do have vague memories that in addition to the editing, she did read early scripts.

ADF was definitely the ghost writer for the SW novelization. I liked his literary style in certain places. Later novelizations are pretty much scripts in prose form, which makes them boring to read, but enlightening in that they often do reflect the scripts and not the final cut.

I presume that GL wanted to take credit for the novel of SW in the same way that he wanted to take credit for the original film. Not a dis, but GL was very protective of his franchise early on to protect the illusion of his creation. At first he refused to let actors "step out" of their costumes and appear in public. Even to this day SW actors are restricted in what they can do publically riding on the coattails of their role in the movies. There are all sorts of rules about autograph signings, appearing in costume, etc. A friend even told me that many actors were resentful of (and downright pissed off at) the way they're treated by LFL during Celebrations II. They were in a lousy hotel far from the venue and LFL wouldn't pay for taxis - they had to take regularly scheduled busses. You'd think a big company like LFL would be more of a class act.

GL always gets the blame for these petty things, but ultimately what's happening is that lawyers or corporate big-wigs are being zealous in their jobs, which comes off as draconian to most people. It could be worse. Paramount won't let anyone do a Star Trek fan film, and Harry Potter got all sorts of flak when then sent nasty cease and desist letters to 8 and 9-year-old children.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size