Chefelf.com Night Life: Is 'Gusher' the Medical Term? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Is 'Gusher' the Medical Term? What is wrong with these people?

#1 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

I know I don’t post on here much… actually…this is pretty much the first time… its just that you guys always say what I’m thinking before I get to, which I thank you for - less thinking required on my part. However comma there is something that I would like address, and hopefully you can assist me. I apologize in advance if this topic has previously been covered.

My spousal unit, and my lazy sofa steeling, food mooching brother, both swear on all that is unholy, that RTS is THE BEST movie of all six, and possibly even the greatest movie of ALL FREAKING TIME, in the face of all the evidence.

My question is: has medical science classified this illness yet? If so, are their any medications/self-help books/audio cassets/dvds/ect available on the market to help combat this disorder? If not, is there some sort of Star Wars Suicide Pill for those agonizing moments when the sound of one throat choking on GLs penis becomes too unbearable?

What exactly is the number of times one can be presented with the inconsistencies, excerpts of the crappy third grade dialogue and the multitudes of recorded cases of CGI Induced Blindness (also known as Self-Inflicted Ocular Extraction), before one will finally acknowledge the fact that RTS and the entire PT are crap?

How many times do you to have to explain to someone that the overwhelming maternal instinct which most likely accompanies birthing two children simultaneously, is probably enough to make any living creature at least want to live past their ridiculous and seemingly meaningless naming ceremony. I am of the opinion that if Mrs. Amidala-Skywalker does not possess the necessary instinct to want to feed and protect her young, that she should not be passing along her genetic code to any offspring.

I’ll take that Star Wars Suicide Pill right about now.

Thank you for providing me with a safe and semi-controlled outlet for my rage and sickening disgust.

Your Pal,
Sailor Abbey

#2 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

I’ll take that Star Wars Suicide Pill right about now

I'm weeping as I type.

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

How appropriate. Lucas types, and the OT fan weeps.

#4 User is offline   Sagacity Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

I used to be one of those "Gushers". This is what snapped me out of it:

1) I backed away from the unwritten rule of "if it has STAR WARS in the title, it can't be bad!"
2) TPM soured on me the more I studied it.
3) The characters never became like old friends, like the OT characters did.
4) I finally saw it was acceptable to have criticisms of the PT and still feel like a "real fan".
5) I stopped caring about being treated like a pariah for expressing how I really felt about the PT.
6) Becoming a pariah. devil.gif

So this condition is not permanent. biggrin.gif

#5 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:54 PM

In all seriousness (and I wasn't being serious before), I don't consider myself to be either.

I like the PT overall, but know its problems.

I like the OT overall, but know its problems.

Thats the boring truth.

#6 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:11 AM

the problems with the OT are nothing like the PT's.

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:33 PM

You gotta problem with the PTs?

kidding. SagaCity, thank you for expressing that so well. I too was still a fan of SW through much of the summer of TPM, and saw it in the theater an incredible FIVE times. Even saw it in mid July.

Is there a gusher here who went to see AOTC or ROTS in the month of July? June?

The term "Gusher" works for me. And like much else, you can be cured but you have to accept the problem.

#8 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 15 2006, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a gusher here who went to see AOTC or ROTS in the month of July? June?

That would be me then. In my defence what else was I going to watch with a unlimited cinema pass?

It's odd. To me the term 'Gusher' could only be applied to the people before the films release.

The sort of person who used lot's of caps and 'OMG!'s in their posts.

Given that the prequels are aimed at a different generation, that's a natural response. I'm pretty sure that if Iwas 12 years old and watched the clone wars cartoon I'd be in a similar state.

Someone; like say Jariten can't be labeled a gusher for liking the PT. I'm happy to say that I enjoyed to PT because of the overall experience; I went out with a group of good friends, met a whole bunch of fans of the series, and had a good time afterwards. Just like when I was a kid with the OT.

If you go out to bash them you're going to bash, it's all about the attitude.

It wasn't just Lucas who spoilt this series; the fans are also partly to blame.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#9 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

Is there a [person] here who went to see AOTC or ROTS in the month of July? June?

Me. I'd go and see them again (digital projections can't be beat) if they were rereleased.

I don't know what it is about annoymous messages boards that make people become so unreasonable (perhaps the answer lies in that sentance somewhere). All I read it "its wrong for you to like the PT!", and then read (or deduce) the reason for that "because I don't like them!".

I mean

And like much else, you can be cured but you have to accept the problem.

What on earth does this mean? What's the problem exactly? That I like a film you don't? Why is that so hard to accept?

If we're talking about denial, I just got through reading another post elsewhere on this board, where for the millionth time someone lays into one of the new SW films, obvivious (accidentally? intentionally?) to the fact that the exact same thing has always existed in SW, and in some cases something that has been in intrinsic part of SW since day one (merchandising for example...there I gave away the post in question...).
I read some hack rag the other day which bashed out the line "[the PT films] are just cheesy space opera puncuated with great set pieces and special effects".
I mean holy shit! welcome to summer 1977!

D, a while ago you made an allusion to "banging your head against a wall" or something, in reference to my constant PT defence. Christ man, welcome to my world.

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:59 PM

That's a credit to your persistence, Jariten. I think most members respect where you're coming from.

"Welcome to My world?" tongue.gif

You're in a basher's forum for goodness sake. It's not my job to defend the way I feel about the prequels, but to relish in how much less SW has become- Because that's the only way we can get enjoyment out of these offerings. At least we can join together in looking to Star Wasr for entertainment. smile.gif

#11 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

I'll say it again: The OT was great because when it came out there was nothing like it. No, scratch that: by the time JEDI came out there was already ALIEN and BLADERUNNER. But there was nothing to compare with STAR WARS.

The PT is lame. Not for the reasons Jariten will refute, that it does not live up the high standards of the original nerf-herdin' "trilogy," but because it is not as good as its contemporaries, mainly the first MATRIX bad the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. Not by a damn long shot.

[Also, it rewrote the whole point of the main trilogy, reversed itself on character development, motivated plotlines on the silly antics of a cartoon comic relief character, and basically just fell so flat that it raised the question of authorship, like could this possibly be the work of the same guy who brought us the originals? The PT is to the OT what THE GODFATHER PART III is to that trilogy of films that have 'Godfather" in the title. But all of thenis is an aside. Really the PT is just not as good as the other films that the OT inspired.]
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#12 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:44 PM

Did you actually get around to actually watching the films in question then?

#13 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 15 2006, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The PT is to the OT what THE GODFATHER PART III is to that trilogy of films that have 'Godfather" in the title. ]

There's something odd that takes place between Lucas, Speilberg, and Coppola. After making a great film like Raiders, the follow-up Temple of Doom which wasn't bad, the trilogy gets derailed by the campy Last Crusade. Coppola makes GF I & II which gets ranked among the best films ever made in the entire history of film, only for GF III to come along and derail the whole trilogy. Although ROTJ isn't as campy bad as GF III or Last Crusade, the PT more than holds its own among the two for monumental wastes of film. Maybe Lucas, Speilberg, and Coppola shared the same bong converted out of a prop lightsaber and the smoke ate away their collective creative impulse centers.

#14 User is offline   Harmonica Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:44 AM

There's something odd that takes place between Lucas, Speilberg, and Coppola. After making a great film like Raiders, the follow-up Temple of Doom which wasn't bad, the trilogy gets derailed by the campy Last Crusade. Coppola makes GF I & II which gets ranked among the best films ever made in the entire history of film, only for GF III to come along and derail the whole trilogy. Although ROTJ isn't as campy bad as GF III or Last Crusade, the PT more than holds its own among the two for monumental wastes of film. Maybe Lucas, Speilberg, and Coppola shared the same bong converted out of a prop lightsaber and the smoke ate away their collective creative impulse centers.

Personally, I say middle-age and senility was responsible for all of the above.

#15 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jan 15 2006, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I read it "its wrong for you to like the PT!", and then read (or deduce) the reason for that "because I don't like them!".

I mean
What on earth does this mean? What's the problem exactly? That I like a film you don't? Why is that so hard to accept?

Its one thing to like a film - its another thing to completely deny it has any faults. I have a pretty good imagination and I am easily entertained, but I'm not an idiot despite Lucas’s attempts to mind-trick me into thinking I am. He might not remember what happened in the OT but I do, therefore I notice the big stupid plot holes that my gusher relatives and acquaintances seem to overlook - again and again and again. I would be lying if I said I hated the PT. There were parts that I love - the rest I just skip through and pretend it never happened.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size