Chefelf.com Night Life: Any redeeming qualities of George Lucas? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Any redeeming qualities of George Lucas? Or have I turned to the Dark Side?

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Jan 19 2006, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised the Burger King with his big assed fiberglass head didn't appear popped into the cantina scene in the Special Edition of ANH on the DVD.

tongue.gif

It's more than a game... It's the chance of a lifetime.

Wizard. laugh.gif

#17 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Jan 19 2006, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In ATOC, a number of LFL video games are displayed in the bar/club where Obi Wan looks for the assassin and turns down the "Deathsticks". In ROTS, Anakin holds a PSP video game when he hears Palpatine beckoning/and senses Padme met with Obi Wan. There are others. All this proves that despite your praise fopr the PT, you don't seem like someone who watched it. And I doubt those placements were done out of the graciousness of his heart for free. I'm surprised the Burger King with his big assed fiberglass head didn't appear popped into the cantina scene in the Special Edition of ANH on the DVD.

While it looks like some handheld earth video game system, it doesn't look like a Sony PSP to me. Was the prop originally a PSP that was modified? Who knows. But see the following pictures and compare for yourself...

I looked at some pictures (that I could find) of other commercial portable game systems and didn't really see one that looked exactly like it (gameboy/advance/sp/color, neogeo pocket color, atari lynx, nec turboxpress, nokia n-gage, tiger game.com, GP-32, wonderswan, sega nomad). It probably looks the most like a cross between the game.com, gameboy advance and psp. It's silver, flat and has what looks like a white "thumb button" (or analog stick) in one corner. It has rows of grooves on both sides and a screen that is not a rectange, but the sides flare out a bit.

Honestly I don't see any product placements for anything in Episodes I-III that isn't a Lucas-created product (ie: Star Wars characters and vehicles that became toys, background characters featured in comics and novels, etc.). It's true that the Episode I video game IS featured in Episode I and in the background of Episode II as a televised version of the pod race. What we're seeing on the screen is the same thing you're seeing in the game. Of course the game was developed alongside the first movie, so that's about as close as we get to "product placement" in the traditional sense. wink.gif

I have yet to see any of the other screen images inside the AOTC bar featured in any LucasArts video games, but if you know of any, feel free to name them!

And all those of you who cite GL's kids, have you seen the size of them? They're obese despite the fact that the Skywalker Ranch had all organically grown produce.

GL's one daughter is definately plump, but his other two children (at least what little I've seen of them, and certainly what we've seen in their prequel cameos) they don't look obese to me. Eating organic food of course has nothing to do with your weight. "Organically grown" just means they used manure instead of man-made chemical fertilizer and pesticides. You can still eat too much of it and gain weight! Obesity may be partially genetic, but it generally comes from eating too much and not exercising enough. "Organic" food technically isn't any healthier for you than "non-organic" food, unless you're one of those people who doesn't believe in washing off the pesticides with vinegar and lemon juice before you bite into your fresh produce. The non-organic stuff costs less and has a longer shelf life. Proponents of organic food say that it's "more natural" and tends to support smaller businesses rather than huge corporate farms that have bought out and swallowed up the family farms for the most part in the US anyway. Of course you could argue that organic food, being more expensive and smaller scale, appeals to the snobbery of wealthier people, and environmentalists who are afraid of chemicals contaminating the environment through runoff in farming. Of course manure runoff isn't any better for you than other types of pollution, but I digress... wink.gif

This post has been edited by KurganX: 19 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

#18 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

Alright, so maybe we can agree that the PT is one big infomercial without Ron Popeil or the guy with the ugly sweaters pushing the car polish that makes scratches magically disappear.

And I brought up the organic thing because Lucas supposedly had a hard on to make the whole Skywalker Ranch environmentally friendly and all yet he didn't seem to express interest that one of his kids was dangerously large, and even had her made up for at least two scenes in ROTS.

Maybe the thing Ani is holding isn't a PSP, but on my compressed bootleg it looked like one at the time.

And then again, at the end of gthe credits you see a lot of space taken up by the firms Lucas hustled to make the PT in exchange for a larger than usual credit, so maybe that's where it was moved.

#19 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

That's fine. But a person could be "environmentally conscious" and still be fat. I knew of one guy who taught a class on environmental science full of texts that preached "sustainability" and stuff like that. I don't know if he truly believed it himself or what, but apparently he was quite obese and drove an SUV everywhere. Hypocritical, or just doing his job without buying into it himself, who knows?

Arguably, "non-organic" farming is better because it feeds the world, since you can produce a lot more food and it can sit longer than if you just do everything organically. If you care less about people and more about not polluting AS MUCH, you might go for "organically grown" products. Having fewer chemicals in your diet might be a good thing, but it won't ensure perfect health if you also overeat and don't exercise! But the great thing is we've got a choice. Anyway, my point is, eating organic food won't ensure you're skinny. I'm sure there are plenty of fat environmentalists out there too.

When I first saw the thing, I thought it looked familiar too, but whatever it is, it's not a PSP, so it can hardly be a product plug for it. wink.gif

I haven't watched the credits closely, but I'd be curious to see what firms are credited. I thought Lucas paid for everything himself, and used his own companies. I mean other than 20th Century Fox and whoever is credited with doing the soundtrack of course... I'll check that next time I watch the movie!

This post has been edited by KurganX: 19 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

#20 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

I haven't watched the credits closely, but I'd be curious to see what firms are credited. I thought Lucas paid for everything himself, and used his own companies. I mean other than 20th Century Fox and whoever is credited with doing the soundtrack of course... I'll check that next time I watch the movie!

The company logos toward the end are way bigger than the standard thinks and I believe Lucas got a lot of freebies that way.

I guess the folks who were supposed to keep an eye on the kiddies were all doing CGI. Oprah hired a personal trainer to get her butt slim again, GL sure as heck has the $$$ to do it as well if he wanted to.

I saw an advert on Yahoo for an HP electronic thingie that looked a lot like the thingie Anakin has. Anyhow, I'll stick with the PT infomercial stance.

#21 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:37 AM

In ATOC, a number of LFL video games are displayed in the bar/club where Obi Wan looks for the assassin and turns down the "Deathsticks". In ROTS, Anakin holds a PSP video game when he hears Palpatine beckoning/and senses Padme met with Obi Wan. There are others. All this proves that despite your praise fopr the PT, you don't seem like someone who watched it

huh.gif

rolleyes.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size