• (2 Pages)
  • +

Was this really necessary?

#1 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

I was thinking about this the other day when watching Return of the Jedi...

After the Dune Sea...after the Sarlaac and the Sail Barge and Jabba and his goons dying in the explosions...after they make it back to their ships and leave the planet...

Why does luke change into his Rebel Alliance Pilot uniform? For that matter....where was he keeping it? On the ship? I doubt it.

Another thing...why even wear it at all. Its not like him and a bunch of his buddies were leaving their official base to go vlow up a Death Star. I could understand them all having uniforms on in a situation like that.

But for leaving Tatooine? C'mon...He already had cool black robes that he wears the whole movie...why put on some bright orange jump suit when its not necessary?

Just seems like a nitpick nobody ever pointed out before.

Honestly...other people dont need special suits when they fly. Look at anyone thats ever traveled in the Falcon.

Anyways....what do you guys think?

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

It's a flight suit, and hadn't he worn it every other time he'd flown his x-wing?

Such suits are needed in the SW galaxy, there's that guy in the cantina with an cosmonaut suit on.

I don't think Luke's is a pilot's uniform per se- I can't explain why only a rebel pilot would need a flight suit, but hey, there was continuity.

#3 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

It just seemed like an unnecessary step to me.

Luke:"Well guys, I'm off to Dagobah again...see you lat-WHOOPS! Almost forgot to put on my suit"

#4 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

No, you're looking at this the wrong way...

He didn't carry it along with him, he always had it on under his clothes. It was like this: Jedi outfit, then pilot outfit, then tuxedo (just in case), pajamas, then ninja outfit. And as the day progressed or as the situation called for it, he would peel off a layer like superman. "Whoah... this looks like a job for... Luke the Pilot-man!!"
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#5 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

Must have been pretty hard to do all those flips on the sail barge with all those layers on... happy.gif

#6 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

All part of the Jedi Training. In fact, that may be a 101 course. "How to flip while wearing an unreasonable amount of clothing."
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#7 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hahahah. Yes that is in section A page 110 paragraph C
OH NO!!!

#8 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

I think the flight suits have bladder bags in them. smile.gif

#9 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

If you watch ESB when Luke is getting ready to leave Hoth and is talking to 2-1B, and says "forget the heavy equipment" he's zipping up the orange flight suit and underneath it are the tan Bespin duds we see later, so the flight suit goes OVER the clothing. Its a necessary part of equipment, like the G-suits all modern day fighter pilots wear I gather. The Falcon crew don't need it because the environmental controls are more substantial, being a bigger ship with more equipment. You don't see it in the movie because Lucas deleted the sandstorm scene where everyone parts company where the ships are parked after the battle with jabba and his gang. In ANH, you hear the line "Eject!"that one of the Rebels tells his buddy who'sin trouble but the guy's ship blows up before he has a chance to do so. I'd assume that the flight suit offers some protection to allow this. In the EU novelization of one story or another its said that the pilot has this option, but since the EU doesn't really count for much, I'll just stick to what was onscreen.

#10 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:04 AM

Meh...I'm still not convinced

#11 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Giff @ Jan 12 2006, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh...I'm still not convinced

To operate the X-Wing, Luke and other pilots of the fighter like craft need to wear the flight suit. I don't really see an issue here.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

I don't either, unless his Jedi status means He's physically changed somehow. That's not something I'd consider natural. cool.gif

#13 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 12 2006, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't either, unless his Jedi status means He's physically changed somehow. That's not something I'd consider natural. cool.gif

Based on the goings on during the PT, I don't think Jedi status is something I'd laud, envy, or rely on, especially if I were in the running to be the last one returning like Luke was. If he ever used the Force to see the three losers Palpatine cut down in no time flat, he'd be forgiven for taking issue with Obi Wan's reluctance for using balsters, among other more practical things.

#14 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

now that I think about it....the PT had Ani/Obi in their small little starfighters with no suit.

Granted, the ARC-170 (the "inspiration" for the x-wing) had their pilots in suits.

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Giff @ Jan 15 2006, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now that I think about it....the PT had Ani/Obi in their small little starfighters with no suit.

There's where continuity can be saluted. In TPM Little whammy didn't have a widdle fwight suit handy.

"Whoops."

Saw the ESB part last night where Luke dons his flight suit over his "Bespin fatigues" which he'll also wear on Dagobah. (Thanks for mentioning that, Darth Player.)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size