• +
  • Last »

1213 Chat, discuss, piss and moan about this newfangled game

#1 User is offline   StantheGarbageMan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:39 PM

Just took a look at the new AGS game demo for '1213', very impressive. Makes me want to see more.

PROS:
-Nice artwork
-Mysterious characters
-Interesting storyline
-excellent writing
-Good challenge

CONS:
-Controls take time to get used to
-Whenever you press the tilda key (the one with the ` and the ~, above the Tab), the top of the screen goes white and has some weird text in it. Just some bug.

That's basically it. Keep going, Yahtzee. You definatly haven't lost your touch.

#2 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:28 AM

Episode 1 on point of completion. Official release tonight or tomorrow.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#3 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:16 AM

I like it. I remember playing out of this world, flashback, and prince of persia back in the day, and I have always loved that kind of gameplay.

One thing that kind of bugs me is how he is hunched over with the gun. But then again, the guy's inner wierdness should be reflected by his outer wierdness.

But that's not really a major drawback. What could potentially be one is the constant heart beating. It gets a bit annoying after a while.

Other than that, I love the direction the game is going in. Can't wait to play the first episode!
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#4 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:13 AM

Looks like it's going to be quite good. Feels very Prince of Persia-esque. The old good ones, that is, not the new crap ones.

The opening sequence had the word "researches", rather then either "research" or "researchers".

The control configuration is awkward. Why are all the keys so far away from each other. Using 'space' to jump is fine, but wouldn't it be more sensical to use 'ctrl', 'alt' and 'shift' for shoot and use item? Just seems like a much more natural choice.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#5 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Dec 29 2005, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The control configuration is awkward. Why are all the keys so far away from each other. Using 'space' to jump is fine, but wouldn't it be more sensical to use 'ctrl', 'alt' and 'shift' for shoot and use item? Just seems like a much more natural choice.

I'd have thought so too, but AGS won't let you use Ctrl, Alt or Shift for the keypress functions. Dunno why.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#6 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:17 AM

I think it's alright like that, this way your fingers less likely get entangled.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#7 User is offline   Walexei Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:50 AM

I allready said what i wanted: more abilities like rolling and stuff that the guy in flashback used to do. Allthough with these new fangled AGS controls it would probabaly require anyone who played the game to do some sort of finger yoga in order to reach all the keys.

#8 User is offline   leogandhi Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

Episode 1 is fantastic Yahtzee.
I'm really impressed that it was the result of one man and a copy of AGS..

I think you got the mix of puzzles and action just right.
Love the cutscenes. Dark.
And the way the plot unravels is perfect.

I don't have any suggestions as you clearly know what you're doing..

..Keep it up smile.gif

#9 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

You got the suspence and thrill spot on with this game. There are so many moments where I got an 'Oh Shit!' feeling.

Three very good moments had to be:

*Don't read these unless you have played the game or else it will totally ruin the experiance for you*

1.When the zombie/plauge victom first stood up while you are walking in the showers.
2.When you find the guy who starves himself from being barricaded, I really did feel sorry for him.
3.When you first enter the Gymnasium, I jumped in guns ablazing only to find that he was gone. Then the tv flickers on, I and almost peed my pants.

Quite clever on the level design and the story. I didn't think you could make a decent level boss using AGS but you showed me.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#10 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:29 PM

I have reached the final boss but hes just to damn impossible, I can only get two good shots in before he rips a hole in my heart, is there some kind of tactic to be used?

#11 User is offline   therantinghuman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:FullyRamblomatic.Com, Chris &amp; Trilby

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:07 AM

That's one helluva game. Quite the thriller. Fitting music too.

Not sure if AGS doesn't allow it or something, but it's sort of irritating when I have to press a key other than the one I'm currently holding - I HAVE to remove my finger from the original key for the new one to do its job. Otherwise 1213 just stays there, staring at the orderly who's shooting at him. Got nearly killed thanks to that. I think I've gotten used to it now, though.
I'm hungry.

#12 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:44 AM

I've been considering the possibilities of 'games as art' and I really enjoy playing around with adding motifs, connotations and hidden meanings to stuff in a plot-driven project. Maybe they don't impress anyone or add to gameplay, but I like to stick them in, mainly so I can point them out to people later.

For instance, you may or may not have noticed that the game's logo - two circles side by side - is the game's recurring visual motif. As well as the face of the silhouetted man, they appear a few times in the backgrounds. The laundry room / gymnasium has quite a few, like the washing machines, and the two basketball hoops. There's also a TV screen bisected straight down the middle by a trickle of blood, which sort of evokes two glowing lights.

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:14 AM

Ah, the bleeding heart of an unrecognized artist. Sorry for being late with this post, but I did notice those awesome parts which brought me very near to yet another paranoid schizophrenia. Excellent work. It's nice to see that even with a minimum of resources, an outstanding storyline and a dense atmosphere can emerge. Some of the bigger game-producers really should learn from that.

'Games as Art'? Hell yes. That's definitely the way.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#14 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (leogandhi @ Dec 29 2005, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Episode 1 is fantastic Yahtzee.
I'm really impressed that it was the result of one man and a copy of AGS..

Don't forget his copy of paint

*edit* Oh yeah, if you jump into the lift shaft just after the thing with the bomb, he gets stuck in a loop where it just constantly reloads them game and he dies seconds afterwards.

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 30 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Dr Lecter @ Dec 30 2005, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, if you jump into the lift shaft just after the thing with the bomb, he gets stuck in a loop where it just constantly reloads them game and he dies seconds afterwards.

I don't think that's a bug. Merely a nice feature. Maybe even an easter-egg. If only the Sims had such a feature... *dreams*

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size