Chefelf.com Night Life: OS stuffs - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

OS stuffs wherein OS stuff is discussed...

#1 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:25 AM

So I'm currently running a Win2k, a couple 98s, an XP, and am playing with a SuSE. I was thinking of blowing away one of the 98s and the 2k and installing Mandrake, FreeBSD, and Gentoo on them. I'm not sure how the BSD would handle the other two, so Gentoo and Mandrake would be sharing one machine while the BSD was on its own. I picked those because of the varying difficulty levels. At the moment this is all still in the conceptual stage, so I was wondering if anyone saw any serious outer flaws to this plan. Any suggestions? Also, the remaining 98 might be converted to Linspire depending on how things look in the future.

Anyone else have OS discussion to add to this thread before it languishes in the depths of the forum?
I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#2 User is offline   mrRobinson Icon

• Network Guru
  • Pip

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:21 AM

Well it sounds like a good plan assuming your goal is to just get more familiar with these systems and play around with them. You could also dual boot a linux distro with windows xp which i found helpful when learning. This way if i got stuck with linux networking being down cause i was mucking with it I could always boot into XP, mount one of the linux folders and maybe copy some files i needed there. Then i could boot into linux and see the same folder and use those files.

Anyway i don't have much useful to add since i haven't run a full linux distro in a while, been playing with Coyote Linux

#3 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. smile.gif That Coyote Linux looks interesting, too.

This post has been edited by Mist: 07 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#4 User is offline   fligh Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

Right now I've got a 98 machine for the family and i've got a 98/Slackware dual boot setup for myself. I also gave my little brother a 98/FC4 and There is a FC3 setting in my room holding up a printer. I've been really happy with my 98/slackware setup. It's amazing how much more user friendly Fedora Core is than other distros I've seen, I also like useing Knoppix for various reasons.

#5 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

I prefer Windows 2003 server to Windows XP.

Reason is that it is outstripped with most of the animations that get in the way, irritate me and interrupt my work. Which takes me longer to disable the animations and customize, than the time it takes to install. I had a lot of problems, such as game servers randomly binding to different network cards at the middle of lan games, until a fix that was included in Service pack 1.

Quite literally "Windows eXtra Pretty".

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 31 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

It's really not necessary to resurrect topics that haven't been touched in months.
You can probably stop doing that now.

#7 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Jan 1 2006, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's really not necessary to resurrect topics that haven't been touched in months.
You can probably stop doing that now.

Sorry, was not aware of the date.
Would it be okay to start new topics based on older topics, such as "Server operating systems" when I have more to add?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size