Interesting Lucas Comment

#16 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 11 2005, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
younger people who have been brought up in a society that, now more than ever, rewards stupidity and vilifies intelligence ...

For example, I know a woman that found she could make more money as the manager of a McDonalds, than as an English teacher with her Masters degree. Tell me something isn't wrong with that picture.

A professor of mine thought of it this way, we are now living in what is the Information age. With the internet, there is so much information literaly at the tip of your fingures, and it isn't as difficult to find. The problem is, is that there is so much information that people do not know what to do with it, how do deal with it, etc. We have a ton of knowledge, but very little in wisdom, and therefore we cannot put that information to good use.*

*I am referring to the human race collectively
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 12 2005, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah you're right about that. I usually end up in that kind of mood during these chefelf back and forths. Anyway basically, there are some parts of the PT, some important parts that really require a certain amount of participation on the audiences part in terms of thinking through exactly whats going on and whos pulling whos strings. Nothing too spectacular, but for 3 kids films, fairly rare.

the only real audience participation expected has been;
a. fill in gaps for yourself (and defend flaws to old school fans)
b. figure out that sypho dias/darth plagus was Palpatines Instructor/Mentor/Personal Trainer
c. figure out that Palpatine made Anakin, by manipulating the MCs in Schmi.

so far, no ones done a very good job of "a"
and virtuallly everyone failed "b" and "c"

which is really unfortunate, considering that 'b' and 'c' were the only two things that were presented in a less than patronising manner.

I don't mind that people have argued "a" with me as you do, but i find it so frustrating that all the PT geeks i tun into here and there at parties and what not, totally argue with me on "b" and "c"...
and then offer that what really happened is a complete mystery...

WTF? they come up with excuses for everything else, and the two ones that actually were explained they not only missed, but refuse to try to come up with anything. it's a damn tragedy! would'nt you agree?

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Dec 12 2005, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For example, I know a woman that found she could make more money as the manager of a McDonalds, than as an English teacher with her Masters degree. Tell me something isn't wrong with that picture.

A professor of mine thought of it this way, we are now living in what is the Information age. With the internet, there is so much information literaly at the tip of your fingures, and it isn't as difficult to find. The problem is, is that there is so much information that people do not know what to do with it, how do deal with it, etc. We have a ton of knowledge, but very little in wisdom, and therefore we cannot put that information to good use.*
*I am referring to the human race collectively

this confirmes what i was just saying above...

people are given information but lack the neurological ability to cerebraly intergrate the information laid out infront of them unless it is handed to them on a proverbial platter!

it's enough to make your blood boil... it really is.

i hope none of the people who i have argued with about the MC thing ever become detectives... because even a written confession carved into my chest won't convict my killer when the time comes.

This post has been edited by barend: 12 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

#18 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:54 AM

the only real audience participation expected has been;
a. fill in gaps for yourself (and defend flaws to old school fans)
b. figure out that sypho dias/darth plagus was Palpatines Instructor/Mentor/Personal Trainer
c. figure out that Palpatine made Anakin, by manipulating the MCs in Schmi

nah, the audience participation bit has always just been about figuring out whos pulling the strings in each of the episodes. spend some time over it, and you can figure it out, but I really liked the clues he left us in TPM. he never categorically spelt it out.

and we dont know that Palpatine (or Plagus) made Anakin. Palps (a known manipulator and liar) only suggested it. While its possible, so is Qui Gons explanation. Since thats the one that plays out in Jedi, i'm siding with him on this one.

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 17 2005, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nah, the audience participation bit has always just been about figuring out whos pulling the strings in each of the episodes. spend some time over it, and you can figure it out, but I really liked the clues he left us in TPM. he never categorically spelt it out.

blink.gif

you're kidding, right?

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 17 2005, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and we dont know that Palpatine (or Plagus) made Anakin. Palps (a known manipulator and liar) only suggested it. While its possible, so is Qui Gons explanation. Since thats the one that plays out in Jedi, i'm siding with him on this one.

no seriously...

tell me you're joking...

it's all laid out rather basic.

Plpy studies under sypho dias (plagus) who is a megelomaniac who has an army of clones built, intends to manipulate MCs to build a group of sith, but his trainee of the month decides to off him and take over his legacy to steel the power it would bring...

palpy pays off the tradefed to attack the republic to build himself as a hero, then...

no wait... just watch the movies again.

oh nice...

you've got me telling people to watch your beloved PT now rolleyes.gif

#20 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:52 AM

you're kidding, right?

no. at no point in Ep1 or 2 does Lucas actually spell out that Palps is Sidious (or that Dooku is Tyrannus). alright, for you and me its obvious, but for da kidz maybe not. this 'mystery' element of the PT is something that definatly sets it apart from other summer blockbusters of the same ilk, and is part of what I use against people who try to dismiss the PT as being thoughtless.
no seriously...

tell me you're joking...

it's all laid out rather basic.

its not laid out basic at all. The opposite in fact, Lucas left it ambigious.

and that syphos dias stuff?! i think that was just meant as a red herring that went horribly arwy.

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 19 2005, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no. at no point in Ep1 or 2 does Lucas actually spell out that Palps is Sidious

Now *you're* kidding, right? What would be better spelling out for you? Direct cutting from the line "who could it be?" to the actual guy, casting both with the same actor, and like writing a backstory about an "Emperor Palpatine" (albeit a much different character) into the introduction of the first novelization 20 years earlier?

Well I suppose that would be pretty overt.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 19 2005, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and that syphos dias stuff?! i think that was just meant as a red herring that went horribly arwy.

although, i respect that as a valid possibility...

i'm telling you sypho dias is darth plagus. DP is a trapazoid, and sypho dias is a trapazoid shaped hole.

even if Lucas himself came out tommorow and said that SD was sideous, i'd say he was an idiot.

the jedi counsel know SD. they say he died a few years back.
DP was killed in his sleep.

the jedi say that SD died a few years back... NOT he was murdered. so he must have died in his sleep or something.

he ordered the clones, and yet palpy knew about order 66.

IT'S THE ONLT DAMN THING IN THE WHOLE TRILOGY THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE AND NO ONE CAN SEE IT!!!

#23 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:25 PM

hmm...

I like it

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:46 PM

well of course you do... that's what happened

smile.gif

it makes sense.

#25 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

sleep.gif Well, I've said all this before:

Sideous was Sifo Dyas:

S. Dyas
Sideous

It's clear as Lucas Lard, people.

and, yes, Lucas did:

"play Jesus" with
Plagius

cool.gif

#26 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

I'm 22 and I prefer the old trilogy in its unaltered format over the prequels and special editions.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Dec 20 2005, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sleep.gif Well, I've said all this before:
Sideous was Sifo Dyas:

S. Dyas
Sideous

It's clear as Lucas Lard, people.

Mon Mothma Mon Calamarie....
unrelated...

it's just a nifty thing.

Sypho Dias and Sideous are not the same person.

at the very least, Sypho Dias named Palpatine Darth Sideos, and was not thinking far enough outside the box.

#28 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:01 AM

Mon Mothma

Remember the days when people thought that Mon Mothma sounded like "My Mother" and were declaring that she was actually Leia and Luke's mother in disguise? Heh-heh... yeah... good days...

Wasn't there an "Ephant Mon" in Jabba's Palace, too... what's Lucas-baby's fascination with the word, or did he forget he had used it a couple of times already? I mean MON used for three different characters/races.... must have just returned from Jamacia...

"You're Gary Kurtz Mon..."
"Yeah, cute, George...."
"...and you're Dennis Muren Mon..."
"Whatever George..."
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size