Chefelf.com Night Life: Luke's Training in perspective with PT - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Luke's Training in perspective with PT What is the official time of Luke's training in Degobah?

#1 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

I read some time ago, in a ESB FAQ, that Luke stayed in Degobah for 3 weeks (earth time I guess), not sure if this is at all an official number. Reflecting only on the OT, this is a non-issue, Luke was a natural talented Jedi and we did not know, at least based just in the movies information how long would a Jedi train to be a Jedi. However, with the knowledge we have now of the PT, (if you want to consider the PT Trilogy Canon of course) a Jedi would train for more than 10 years. Isn't this a bit weird? if it was a year or something, or the core training had 6 months, ok, Luke took one of those quick courses, but 10 years to 3 weeks is a big difference for someone learning something.

This is not a ESB issue, because in the end of the movie Luke was always supposed to return to finish his training, but Lucas again screw up in ROTJ, not only the training of Luke, which probably was to much larger, but also the "There is another" which was rushed and invented for ROTJ to close up things (Leia was not meant to be Luke's Sister before ROTJ). I wonder what happened between Ep. V and VI that made Lucas change is mind so much to stop there, tired? wanting more time for is family?

#2 User is offline   Jedi_1138 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Mythology, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Aikido, Kenjutsu, BtVS, Angel, CSI

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Gerhard @ Nov 27 2005, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read some time ago, in a ESB FAQ, that Luke stayed in Degobah for 3 weeks (earth time I guess), not sure if this is at all an official number. Reflecting only on the OT, this is a non-issue, Luke was a natural talented Jedi and we did not know, at least based just in the movies information how long would a Jedi train to be a Jedi. However, with the knowledge we have now of the PT, (if you want to consider the PT Trilogy Canon of course) a Jedi would train for more than 10 years. Isn't this a bit weird? if it was a year or something, or the core training had 6 months, ok, Luke took one of those quick courses, but 10 years to 3 weeks is a big difference for someone learning something.

This is not a ESB issue, because in the end of the movie Luke was always supposed to return to finish his training, but Lucas again screw up in ROTJ, not only the training of Luke, which probably was to much larger, but also the "There is another" which was rushed and invented for ROTJ to close up things (Leia was not meant to be Luke's Sister before ROTJ). I wonder what happened between Ep. V and VI that made Lucas change is mind so much to stop there, tired? wanting more time for is family?

Tired, I guess. Bored of Star Wars and going on to new, exciting movies. Like Howard the Duck or the beloved Willow.
biggrin.gif

#3 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

Of course its an ESB issue.

Its another "lets sweep it under the rug and forget about it" scriptwriting shortcut moment. Like a few things in Star Wars, its not too bad until you think about it too much.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

screw non film material....

is there any point where it says in the films that the scene in ROTJ is only the second visit to yoda?

#5 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

I don't think Luke was there for three weeks. If that was true, it would have taken Luke's X-wing three weeks to sink to the bottom of the swamp. If anything, he was there for a day or two maximum.

#6 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ May 9 2006, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think Luke was there for three weeks. If that was true, it would have taken Luke's X-wing three weeks to sink to the bottom of the swamp. If anything, he was there for a day or two maximum.

Compare it to the time frame of the action that Han etc. went through, its a push to even streach it to that.

Its poor scriptwriting.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:17 AM

i think the x-wing was at the bottom. it wasn't that far from shore...

so your sayin gluke arrives, talks to yoda, finds out he's yoda, has soup, jogges around for a second, does a hand stand, trips out ina cave for a moment, goes to face vader...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.... oh.

sorry... i get it now.

you guys think the star wars films are in real time.

no wonder...

the galactic civil war.... 6 hours of intergalactic hell.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH....

my word.

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

If it keeps cutting back to another set of action happening at the same time, that gives me a time frame to compare it too, yes.

#9 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (barend @ May 10 2006, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
screw non film material....

is there any point where it says in the films that the scene in ROTJ is only the second visit to yoda?

yes, twice in fact, after destroying Jabba, Luke tells Artoo they are going to Degonah because of a promise he made to a old friend (he says "and i'll return, I promise" in ESB) and in the cave he tells Yoda "But I've comeback to finish the training" both implying that he has not been there since Empire.

QUOTE (jariten @ May 10 2006, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its another "lets sweep it under the rug and forget about it" scriptwriting shortcut moment. Like a few things in Star Wars, its not too bad until you think about it too much.

If there was no PT what is the problem if Luke is there for an hour or a couple of days?
with the PT everything in the OT get's in perspective.

QUOTE (Storm @ May 10 2006, 05:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the X-wing could have sink in the first couple of days, and then Luke be there for a couple of weeks, but anything goes really, he could have been there the 15 minutes we see in the movie tongue.gif

#10 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

Maybe he was a really fast learner... after all, there must be a reason for why he's able to become a godlike-jedi where others failed...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#11 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

If there was no PT what is the problem if Luke is there for an hour or a couple of days?
with the PT everything in the OT get's in perspective.

You don't need the PT to know that you can't learn anything in a couple of days, let alone a few hours. If it could happen so fast then why wasn't Yoda training everyone to be a Jedi? (The PT makes sense out of that mess with the much maligned midichorians)

Again, I don't dislike ESB for these problems, we only have 2 hours and we need a story. But they exist none the less.

#12 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 11 2006, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't need the PT to know that you can't learn anything in a couple of days, let alone a few hours. If it could happen so fast then why wasn't Yoda training everyone to be a Jedi? (The PT makes sense out of that mess with the much maligned midichorians)

Why not? why can't Luke learn in a couple of days?
I always thought Luke was special, being a Jedi would come easy to him, just like any sport genius with all the natural talent.

Nothing extraordinary there, what is extraordinary is the way you accept Midiclorians, when all it's purpose was to show that Anakin was the most gifted Jedi ever. Since he did all kind of stunts, Midiclorians were totally irrelevant to the plot.

again, using sports, is just like scientists finding out that a soccer player his better at playing soccer than an average person because it has the compound B in him, imagine the amount of kids being tested and refused because they did not had the right amount of compound B. It takes away a bit of the mystery in life doesn't it? No more dreams , no more expectations no more work to archive something.

That is what Lucas have done with the dreadful PT. No more magic.

BTW, you say "why wasn't Yoda training everyone to be a Jedi?", before the PT we belived that kids would inherited their parents abilitys (no need for bacteria explanation here) but in the PT Jedi's don't have kids, they hunt for kid's born somewhere in the universe who are force sensitive. So why should Luke/Leia be the only hope in the OT??? I'm sure at the time a lot of kids would continue to be born in the universe with force sensitivity, just like in the old days of the republic. Or is it because Luke/Leia are Vader Kids and that is what would have been used to defeat him? But now it's OK to have attachements?

Contradictions, contradictions... I'll stick to Episodes IV-VI as canon, Thanks

This post has been edited by Gerhard: 10 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 10 2006, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it keeps cutting back to another set of action happening at the same time, that gives me a time frame to compare it too, yes.

what's wrong with this statement has been covered in anopther thread.

QUOTE (Gerhard @ May 10 2006, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, twice in fact, after destroying Jabba, Luke tells Artoo they are going to Degonah because of a promise he made to a old friend (he says "and i'll return, I promise" in ESB) and in the cave he tells Yoda "But I've comeback to finish the training" both implying that he has not been there since Empire.

it's a tad erronious, but you're right...

it's just the "old Friend" remark... gives too much depth to their relationship.

either way through practice or whatever he had gained much skill between ESB and ROTJ.
but then he had obiwans ghost following him around a bit. so there may have been the odd chime in... who knows, the important thing is, he wasn't just some chump that showed up and rocked the world the way jariten is implying.

#14 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

That old friend remark slapped me like the no space suits in the worm uneasiness. And Luke's abilities grew in-between the films, much the same way the franchise concurrently began its tailspin.

Balance of the force, you know. Elaborate as usual, Barend.

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

"Elaborate as usual, Barend."

when you say Elaborate do you mean the verb or the adjective?

as in 'that was elaborate', or 'could you please elaborate'?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size