Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

FAV> PArt epidsode 2 II

#16 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jan 27 2006, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somebody provided an explanation for this. Basically Maul didn't move because as Obi-Wan jumped out of the pit he thought of approximately 100 different ways he could have killed Kenobi, and just couldn't make up his mind.

I came up with an explanation too...

George Lucas is an idiot.

#17 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

Apparently the Sith can't move as fast as they can think.

Maul reasoning 100 ways. Palpy by surprise (or now perhaps, clouded by the balanced and restored light side of THE FORCE™ in JEDI; Annie-kin S. in ROTS.

Palpy HAD an excuse; Annie's conclusion? ROTS wasn't as slow moving as it could have been. rolleyes.gif

Of course, Palpatine's demise is to the force-ghost worthiness of his Darth, Vader.

who only needed four movies to; "Oh yeah". mellow.gif

#18 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:36 AM

i like some of the clone war shots at the end.

#19 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

Somebody provided an explanation for this. Basically Maul didn't move because as Obi-Wan jumped out of the pit he thought of approximately 100 different ways he could have killed Kenobi, and just couldn't make up his mind.

Bangs head repeatedly against wall....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#20 User is offline   Harmonica Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

About Darth Maul's death, while conversing about the various ways of offing people in movies, a friend of mine came up with what he calls the Octopus Test of Character Death. Basically, one takes a death and then substitutes the means for however the death is accomplished with an octopus (chosen for the fact that it is difficult to wield and should theoretically be an easy attack to dodge, and used here because it's just the kind of thing George Lucas would do.). If the believability of the new scene's execution is equal to or greater than the original, the death does not pass the test.

Nearly all Deaths in the Prequels manage to fail this.

For example, Darth Maul:

Obi-Wan hangs perilously onto the edge of the whole pit... Thing while the rather hardcore looking Sith guy above waves around his lightsaber. Suddenly, our Jedi hero finds the strength to pull himself up, out of the pit, he flips over Darth Maul and lands. Maul spins around and stares stupidly as.... Obi-Wan, with the power of the Force, hurls a giant octopus (which he either obtained from his trusty Jedi Belt, or had with him since the earlier, underwater scene that everyone had mistakenly thought had no point) right into Maul's face. The Sith warrior, with all his hardcore Sith training skills and evil badness powers, is completely taken by surprise as the creature hits him in the face and starts to strangle him, causing him to stumble backwards and fall to his death. Thus, Qui-Gon is avenged. Somewhere miles away, a Gungan (possibly related to aforementioned octopus) sheds a single tear.

Verdict: Believability is Equal to the Original. Darth Maul's Death fails the Test.

Example 2: General Grievous

Obi-Wan lies perilously near the edge of the whole pit... Thing while the rather hardcore but kinda blurry looking CGI blob that's supposed to be an android lifts up his big, pointy, energy stick thing for a killing blow. Obi-Wan quickly rolls around, uses the Force to grab an octopus from the surrounding swampy place, and throws it. He then uses the Force to open the Cyborg's chest, allowing the octopus inside, where it begins to suck up all of the super nefarious, but really cowardly General's organs. Grievous goes down coughing (and wishing he had not wasted his life smoking Marlboros just because all badguy villains did) and dies.

Verdict: Due to its lack of random special effects exploding, Believability is Superior to Original Scene. General Grievous's Death fails the Test.

Now, let's look at an Original Trilogy Death; Palpatine.

Luke lies perilously near the edge of the whole reactor pit... Thing while the rather hardcore but kinda pruny old dude fries him with lightning, that while painful looking, we will later learn has *never* actually killed someone. Suddenly, Darth Vader has a change of heart and fires an octopus thrower he had installed in his armor (this was done around the same time Artoo had all that other junk attached to him during the prequels). The octopus nails Palpatine squarely in the back of the head, and suddenly, the old lunatic takes a page out of MGS3 and explodes(!)

Verdict: Believability is Less than the Original Scene. Emperor Palpatine Passes the Test.

One must admit, it's certainly an interesting way of looking at things.

Anyway, on topic, my favorite part was probably when in the rain battle, Jango headbutts Obi-Wan. It's like "I may be an evil Bounty Hunter who relies on blasters, and you may be a super Jedi guy who uses a lightsaber, and neither of us may have those crazy special effects weapons at this point, but I'm STILL gonna break your face in."

I think it's even funnier when I try to imagine how they choreographed that.

Lucas(We'll just assume that it's him, since he's clearly stated before that everything Star Wars is him and how he deserves all the greatness and credit for everything in all his movies): Okay, now you're both going to grapple and lock arms. And then you, you're gonna crack him with your head.

Jango's Actor: But, don't I have pointy blade things in my gauntlets? Why don't I just gut him like a fish instead if we're going hand-to-hand?

Lucas: Well, uh, see, you've both locked arms, so your blades are out, as are all your other weapons. And right now, you believe that the best way to damage him is by hitting him with a blunt object. And in this case, the hardest, most dense part of your body. In this scenario, your thick skull.

Actor: Ah, thick because I'm wearing a helmet, right?

Lucas: .......Helmet.... Right... Sure. We'll go with that.

Or, uh, something like that. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Harmonica: 30 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

#21 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Harmonica @ Jan 30 2006, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the Octopus Test of Character Death.

Hmmm... thats an interesting way to think about it.

... I'm not sure it requires that much thinking to realize it was a rediculous death... but interesting nonetheless

also, where'd you get that stuff about the nazi-sith swastika shaped lightsabers?

#22 User is offline   Harmonica Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

also, where'd you get that stuff about the nazi-sith swastika shaped lightsabers?

A friend of mine. I seriously hope that he was joking when he said that about Lucas, but given The Flanneled One's track record of utter insanity, all bets are off.

This post has been edited by Harmonica: 31 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

#23 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Jon Gutner @ Feb 26 2004, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[B][I][U][FONT=Times][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]
my fav wasr wen anakin gives her a dark l00k and (s))he said it makes her feel unconfrobal.
BLAHMBABAGO!!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Your posts hurt my eyes crying.gif

#24 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:24 PM

Jon is a legend around here. He came, he conquered, he vanished without a trace. He had a wonderful comic strip on his website. Very funny stuff. The website vanished too.

My suspicions are that he started getting paid for the comics and then yanked them off the net.

Either way, the guy was hilarious.

unconfrobal, LOL!

This post has been edited by Jordan: 02 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#25 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

He imitated my AVATAR sleep.gif bam blamm BAGANNNNNOO!

#26 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Jan 23 2006, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like the PT music. I think that the music is probably the only good thing that came out of the movies. Elan Sleezbagano was pretty cool too.

yeah the musics quite good, but it's hard to tell as there's too much bad affiliation...

sleezbag and lee are the only two redeemable bits for (if you ignore sleezies name...)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size