Chefelf.com Night Life: Why do so many people like the PT over the OT? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Why do so many people like the PT over the OT? Confusion!

#16 User is offline   Smashman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:11 PM

If George Lucas could just release the ORIGINAL 1977, 1980, 1983 theatrical versions of the GOOD Star Wars Trilogy... Digitally THX Mastered... Widescreen... on a format that will last 10000000 years, then I will forgive him and his new atrocities completely.

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:39 PM

forgive no, stop complaining yes.

forgivness would require:

5.1 surround sound, cast comentry, interviews with anyone but GL unless they are interviews from the time, the original televised making ofs hosted by mark hamil, tv spots (interviews and appearances), full deleted scenes, goofs, and George Lucas Appology featurette.

yep, that'd about cover it.

#18 User is offline   Smashman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:27 AM

I like everything except for the George Lucas apology featurette. What will he be forgiving for, the Special Editions or the prequels? I would say just as long as the original versions are out on a forever-lasting format, then that forgives the Special Editions, like I said earlier. He has nothing to apologize for for the prequels. As $hitty as they are, he never forced you to watch them.

But that WOULD be funny. A George Lucas Apology Featurette, hosted by George himself.

*Star Wars theme plays*
"Hello everyone. I am George Lucas. Today, I am going to beg for forgiveness of my Special Editions, consisting of vandalisms such as Greedo Shooting First, Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw, Ian McDiarmid replacing Clive Revill, pointless A New Hope Jabba scene, replacing Ewok music, replacing Jabba band music, and many other OT vandalisms. Also, I will bed for forgiveness for my overuse and overfocus of CGI and effects, and underfocus of writing, dialogue, and directing in my new prequels. On top of that, I apologize for ruining Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Han Solo's character development, Yoda's integrity, ruining the shocks, twists, and surprises of the OT, and ruining the mystery and atmosphere of the OT. Also, I am sorry for destroying what was once and still could have been the greatest science fiction/fantasy saga of all time. At least Indiana Jones is OK... and my beard is decently trimmed at most times."

This post has been edited by Smashman: 23 November 2005 - 12:38 AM

#19 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Smashman @ Nov 23 2005, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As $hitty as they are, he never forced you to watch them.

Oh, but he knew most of us would. Anyway, I myself would pay top dollar for A George Lucas Apology Featurette. Especially the way you put it.

Speaking of other films, I haven't really watched many new films that have come out for the past while. I don't even bother to rent the ones that I didn't want to pay so much for in a theater. The comedies aren't that funny, the romances are all the same, the horror is hardly frightening, etc. The only things I have actually looked forward to lately were Star Wars (even if they sucked), LOTRs, Harry Potter, The Matrix (although I think only the 1st one was good) Spiderman, Batman, and a few others. I get more enjoyment out of buying Akira Kurasawa's 1954 film The Seven Samurai. And the music that was supposed to be on it didn't even work (I returned it once to get a new copy. And when there was still no sound on it, I just said fuck it I still like it anyways). Maybe today's directors, producers, writers, etc. need to bust out the classics and see what a really good film actually is.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#20 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:48 PM

I would like to make a statement. Everybody here knows that i like the pequels. I defend them to no end, looking for the old star wars spirit in them. But the person who pisses me off is George Lucas. He was a young kid full of brilliant ideas, who let his movies fame and his own quest for popularity and money corrupt him. IM surprised the prequels turned out as good as they are. From such a fucking sick pervert that made a comment to carrie fisher(there is no underwear in space) that he over dramatizes everything he has done, calling it his vision, and making all of these documentaries, trying to make himself out to be some sort of a prophet. I HATE HIM. God has described to us this very downfall. Man cannot have two masters. George has fallen to the evil of money. ANd if in my quest to become a director/writor, i can thank george lucas for only one thing. HE has set an awsome example for what kind of person i dont want to be. I will take acting classes, and all things of the sort, so that i know what im talking about and wont screw up. He has let down his fans, and himself. And i know he is listening to all the complaining his fans are doing, but in his absolute stubborness, he remains a prick and ignores us. He is so pathetic, he had to lie, and say steven spielburg came up with the mustafar battle ideas just so that his "yes-men" would listen to him. I think ive said enough. THis has been discussed a lot and ive only just elaborated on it further. God help you george lucas.

This post has been edited by Revan-47: 23 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#21 User is offline   Smashman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

Then why do you like the prequels when you know they are the product of George Lucas' greed and corruption? I hate how most PT lovers love the PT so much and put it on the caliber of the OT. Most of them are apart of the ADD generation who thinks bigger is better (not saying YOU are revan-47).

The OT was a product of George Lucas' heart and soul. He KNEW he couldn't write or direct- so he left that to Lawrence Kasdan, Leigh Brackett, Irvin Kershner, and Richard Marquand. He made the OT the best it could be.

But with the PT, he has contradicted everything he once stood for and became a corrupt and greedy little b@st@rd.

This post has been edited by Smashman: 23 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

putting the name 'Star Wars' on episode 1 forced me to have to watch it, and putting christopher lee in eps2&3 forced me to see the rest...

so technically i had no choice.

#23 User is offline   Smashman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

Ah! Very good reasons, barend. Very good reasons!

I think Lucas swiped Lee because he saw he was in LOTR and wanted to lure everyone to see HIS movie, since Christopher Lee is a famous name.

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:29 PM

i grew up with (watching, we didn't go to school or anything together) christopher lee.

if he's in something i'll watch it.

he's done alot of stuff over the years, many of which were not as good as others, but even in the most ridiculous movies he brough alot of dignity to every roll.

getting killed by anikan was not one of them.

i think he shouldn't have killed dooku until after he got the armour.
that would have been more interesting.

#25 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

He also shouldn't have gone down like some sucka, especially at the hands of a sucka. In GL's new aased world of the PT, the unnecessary backflip he made from the walkway to the floor and then the walk up the stairs must have zapped him of his Sithness. Why he didn't offer any words of objection when Palpatine tells Anakin to kill him is beyond me, even a "Palpatine is Sideous____" before losing his head would have been decent.

#26 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Smashman @ Nov 23 2005, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah! Very good reasons, barend. Very good reasons!

I think Lucas swiped Lee because he saw he was in LOTR and wanted to lure everyone to see HIS movie, since Christopher Lee is a famous name.

He needed to coerce people to see a SW film? This is a joke right? Of course Jackson didn’t bring Lee in to get people to see LotR because hes a “famous name” I presume. rolleyes.gif

#27 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Smashman @ Nov 23 2005, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then why do you like the prequels when you know they are the product of George Lucas' greed and corruption? I hate how most PT lovers love the PT so much and put it on the caliber of the OT. Most of them are apart of the ADD generation who thinks bigger is better (not saying YOU are revan-47).

The OT was a product of George Lucas' heart and soul. He KNEW he couldn't write or direct- so he left that to Lawrence Kasdan, Leigh Brackett, Irvin Kershner, and Richard Marquand. He made the OT the best it could be.

But with the PT, he has contradicted everything he once stood for and became a corrupt and greedy little b@st@rd.
I agree, with you wholly. Kind of like my dad thinking movies with giant monsters in them are good because it looks neat. I do not put the prequels on the same scale as the OT. even if the prequels were a lot better then they are, that couldnt happen. The OT is timeless. But its my own personal preferences that i like the prequels. I may praise the creation, but not the creator.

#28 User is offline   Smashman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

Do you think the PT will (sooner or later) be accepted just like the OT in the general public eye or do you feel they will (sooner or later) fade away? I'm not talking about blinded SW fanboys. Just the general public.

#29 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Nov 23 2005, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He needed to coerce people to see a SW film? This is a joke right? Of course Jackson didn’t bring Lee in to get people to see LotR because hes a “famous name” I presume. rolleyes.gif

PJ brought Christopher Lee in because he's cool.

being primarily a horror director PJ grew up on Lee films.

#30 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:17 PM

I honestly think that the general public could care less. THey see them as star wars movies, nothing more or nothing less. They could gain the status the OT has, but i doubt it. umm, casual star wars fans, that watch the movies like once a year, will like them as well. Think of all the new york times reviews and all that. People like them.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size