Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Why o why?

#1 User is offline   WhoCares Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:37 AM

Why o why?

Good morning to all. I was talking to my wife about the prequels and the original trilogy last night, and how our kid is going to have the chance to watch it in chronological order, and we started to dissect why EP I, II, and III shouldn’t even being considered to be filmed, not to mention they suck. I thing what I am trying to say is that they have killed the emotions and mystique of the original trilogy, here are some points we were talking:

1) Darth Vader: This guy rocks in ANH, he is evil but he is cool, who the hell is he?…..Oh yes, now I remember he is that jerk that used to complain a lot and harass a former queen…hmm.

2) Darth Vader is Luke Father, what a twist!!!!…well I knew this since episode III.

3) Owen and Beru raised Luke. It seems to me extremeley pathetic and lazzy that the only place where Darth Vader didn’t look for the son of SKYWALKER was on his stepbrother house.

4) Luke is Leia’s brother…really freaking awsome, and she is strong with the force too (o no, she has a high count of midichlorians)…SEE point 2.
Now that I am on this subject, I never understood why Vader never sensed Leia’s force at the beginning of ANH

5) That Boba Fett looks cool, he must be the greatest bounty hunter ever, he is so mysterious, I wonder where the hell he came from….Wait I know, he was that little ass that hanged out with Jango, and he is a clone too, but not only a simple clone but a clone trooper brother…o shit what a crap!

6) “Luke your father was a great pilot, boy he sure could flight”…Ben, really, I rented EPI and he was a pathetic lifeform podracer.

7) YODA, MASTER YODA. Luke is searching for him right?, this little elf says he knows where Yoda is, this Yoda dude must be awsome, who the hell is he, take me to him little elf….....STOP right there and save your energy before you turn 900.
By the way Master Yoda, why you never mention your best buddy Mace Windu….Sad I became when over his party was in EIII.

8) Luminous beings are we ... not this crude matter…Rephrase that I will: Blood beings are we…not this force crap…what else can I say?

9) Jedis, what were they? A legion, a relgion, a bunch of AB postive blood type guys? NO NO NO, they were this order who had a council that never agreed on shit.

10) Ben what was the clone war?....Luke, listen to me an listen, well, I served Princess Leia’s father as a General in a stupid cartoon serial of 20 episodes we made for the cartoon network, oh by the way the clones fought for us. LAME!!!!

#2 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:49 AM

Watching the movies in chronological order is a terrible idea. Kids under 10 are the only people I know that would enjoy the prequels. They just don't hold up.

What made the first three great is that children, teens and adults alike liked them. Same as The Princess Bride. The Princess Bride is on everyone's favorite movie list. Everyone I know! Me, my friends, my toddler cousins, my parents, my grandmother. Everyone! A truly great story and movie will appeal to everyone across all age and gender boundaries.

The prequels are on the same level as the Teletubbies. Little kids will like it because it has interesting sounds, shapes and colors. By the time they reach 14 they will move on to other things.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#3 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:29 AM

As soon as Star Wars Episode 3 comes out, I'm going to buy the tape, watch all the movies in chronological order one last time, then shelf them and never watch them again.

I remember a long time ago, the news on Yahoo said that Chewbacca was going to be in Episode 3. Whether it is true or not, it was a moment when I had completely lost all faith in George's ability to make a good finale. There was no possible way he could create a shitty pair of prequals and create a finale good enough to save him.

P.S. I loaned out Star Wars Episode I to one of the security guards in my building. The man doesn't even have a high school diploma and never heard of Star Wars before I loaned him the movie and he thought it was total crap, not that I blame him anyway.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Jan 14 2004, 11:29 AM)
I remember a long time ago, the news on Yahoo said that Chewbacca was going to be in Episode 3. Whether it is true or not

SPOILER alert

(like you'd be postponing the disappointment)

I'm sure most folks know or have heard, read, or "sensed" there will be wookiees in the film. I guess GL can afford to pony up for off-season basketball players. otherwise we'd be left with itchy, mala, lumpy and their ewok friends. although I'm not ruling that out

#5 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:35 PM

other than Chewie of course

(ps, nice flood control there, chef)

#6 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (WhoCares @ Jan 14 2004, 09:37 AM)
Now that I am on this subject, I never understood why Vader never sensed Leia’s force at the beginning of ANH

Vader's ability to use the force had dimished...only to return to him
later when he saw Luke in his X-wing.
Ahh, who I'm I trying to fool. George is an idiot who bastardized this films.

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

George Lucas, you creative genius. Not only do you come up with off the wall names ("'gungan?', thanks son"; and "Zam." wtf? is that short for "Zamuel?",) but you can reverse syllabic order as well. The most obvious reference being Nate, Nute, whoever Gunray. But it finally dawned on me: "we can't afford basketball players to play the wookiees on endor, let's hire out of work midgets instead. but we can't call them wookiees, hmm, eeewooks?" somebody probably mispelled it ewoks and like han's better line, it stuck despite Lucas' whining.

#8 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:48 PM

George Lucas, you creative genius. Not only do you come up with off the wall names ("'gungan?', thanks son"; and "Zam." wtf? is that short for "Zamuel?",) but you can reverse syllabic order as well. The most obvious reference being Nate, Nute, whoever Gunray. But it finally dawned on me: "we can't afford basketball players to play the wookiees on endor, let's hire out of work midgets instead. but we can't call them wookiees, hmm, eeewooks?" somebody probably mispelled it ewoks and like han's better line, it stuck despite Lucas' whining.

Here are some facts:

Darth Maul was based on Bozo the Clown

The name 'Gungan' was made by George Lucas' son (you knew that, I know) who described all heavy machinery as 'gun GAN' when he was a little kid.

The name 'Wookiee' was made up when George and a friend of his were driving down a road, they hit a speed bump (or something that rocked the car) and his friend just said 'whoa, look's I hit a wookiee.' It was a bullshit name that was made up at moments notice, but Lucas noted it down anyway.

Science fiction and fanatasy are genres that need a lot of thinking just to make up names of spieces and shit. Sometimes making something up and refing it IS the only way to do it. If you know of any other way, please tell me, I'm planning on writing again.

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:04 PM

The Princess Bride is on everyone's favorite movie list

Indeed. That movie is on my all time favorites list.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Jan 14 2004, 03:48 PM)
Sometimes making something up and refing it IS the only way to do it. If you know of any other way, please tell me, I'm planning on writing again.

In all respect,

I'd try alphabet blocks. spill them on the counter and give your self 60 seconds to come of with 3 or four gibberish words. refine those. then from those 4 words you can rearrange the syllables, right? there's 8 to start with.

go through the dictionary and randomly finger point at syllables, write them down, toss in the air and reconnect.

or add geographical locations to the beginning of names.

I just thought ewok v eewook v wookiee was too much a coincidence smile.gif

#11 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

I'd try alphabet blocks. spill them on the counter and give your self 60 seconds to come of with 3 or four gibberish words. refine those. then from those 4 words you can rearrange the syllables, right? there's 8 to start with.

That's exactly what I'm doing! Of course, I do get inspirations from other sources too.

In one instance when I was writing a sci-fic story (it was total bullcrap, don't even get me started!) I made one my characters fight with a whack-job murderer. I got the name for the murderer after a real live serial killer, I just changed some letters and moved others around and I made up something that sounded good.

I've been writing FanFiction centered around a single game for more than 4 years now, and I definately want to change. I haven't written anything big since last summer and I want to start again. The ideas I have right now are simply for rewriting older stories which had a great basis, but were ruined by my blundering, lack of preparation and planning, combined with bad grammar (I'm still not 100% clear on that either, but I'm still a bloody lot better than I was last year!) made them crappy as heck.

One of the new ideas I have in mind is to write down a summary of every chapter in another file, where I will write down exactly what will happen and what will develop. This way, I can make sure it progresses more smoothly and clearly, as well as avoiding some stupid mistakes that might cause the fic to fail.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

Have you been published? I'm in the process of writing a picture book for children. hope to submit it this month. It'll make me wealthy, right? wink.gif

#13 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:28 PM

Have you been published?

No, I haven't and I probably never will. You see, I've never written anything other than FanFiction and I can't bring myself to write anything else. Right now I've more or less lost just about all motivation to write anything. I'm struggling to start again, but I just can't.

If I do publish anything, it'll be a very long time from now. I'm just a 20 year old. How many 20 year old sucessful authors do you see?

I don't know what to write, part of me wants a 'modern' setting with modern technology and weapons, whilst another part of me wants a fanatasy world were birds talk and one man can fight a dozen and win.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size