• +

Too old to train... the learning curve.

#16 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

For no apparent reason, yesterday I was browsing the Star wars databank. Reading the entries for a lot of Jedi Masters, I found that many of them were exceptions to the rule of being to old to train. Besides the fact that I already think it is crap, how is it that this happened plenty of times anyways and they even became Jedi Masters. Some even became Council Members. And guess what, ALL of the Jedi (well, just about all) die. Luke, who begins learning a thing or two from Obi-wan at 18, goes on to over throw the emperor. It is just so completely stupid it is unreal. They already knew that that wasn't what the line was going for, why on God's green Earth would anyone do something so so yell.gif *head explodes*
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Dec 20 2005, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe the "Too old To Train" line is Yoda thinking out loud that he's had it with training all these winners and wants to throw in the towel. What's the point of training one pimply faced apprentice after a long break if a cadre of hundreds including Younglings went down faster than you could say "CGI".

which "winners" are you talking about?

they're all dead!

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

I don't know if it's sarcasm or merely in the tone of
"Fans today prefer the PT".

#19 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Nov 14 2005, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just got thinking...

this whole "too old" crap that keeps popping up (as, let's face, a poor excuse for a tie in and defeating attempt at consistency) is by far the most implausible notion.

let's look at the track record...

Luke Skywalker
commenced training: age 21 (aprox)
result: defeated Darth Vader/Anikan

Anikan Skywalker (AKA Darth Vader, Annie)
commenced training: age 11
result: defeated room of younglings

the Younglings
commenced training: age 4
result: wiped out.

well, i think the results speak for themselves there...

So what your saying is that if I start training as a Jedi at the age of 72 instead of 16, Ill become the most powerful entitiy in the galaxy?

#20 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Dec 21 2005, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luke, who begins learning a thing or two from Obi-wan at 18, goes on to over throw the emperor. It is just so completely stupid it is unreal. They already knew that that wasn't what the line was going for, why on God's green Earth would anyone do something so so yell.gif *head explodes*

Back before I first started to watch the OT religiously (long before the PT came out) I used to think that Luke was some kind of super special human who inherently had some kind of extra affinity to the mystical forces of the universe that other Jedi must not have had, and that was why he was able to get a few weeks of training in and go put a whoopin on the Emperor.

Turns out he’s more like Scooby Do who just happens to be in the right place at the right time. Its kind of a freak accident that he ever gets as far as he does. I mean, his sword skills are shabby at best, he doesn’t know force absorb/reflect like the Jedi from the PT (you would have thought Yoda would have let him in on Palps’ lightening-from-his-fingers thing). He never learns how to do Jedi mind trick… as far as we know.

How is Luke supposed to go on to train the new Jedi in his new JedI Order?

And now that I think of it, I though Luke’s father wanted him to have that blue lightsaber. Isn’t that was crazy old Ben said to him in ANH?

*sigh* Its hopeless.

Incidentally, how many death threats do you think GL gets a day?

#21 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

You're missing the point. Yoda didn't tell Qui-Gon that Anakin was too old because he was too old. He sensed a lot of fear in Anakin... possibly because he was created by a Sith Lord. Yoda won't tell Qui-Gon the true reasoning because Qui-Gon was on the verge of leaving the order anyways, based on the B.S. principles of the Council... just like Qui-Gon's Master, Dooku.

In ESB, Kenobi basically tells Yoda, "Hey, remember back when you said Anakin was too old? Won't that same kind of arrogance come back to bite us in the ass if we deny our last hope a little Jedi training?" Besides, Yoda told Kenobi he was too old but still trained him anyways.

This is just theory on my part, but what if Luke recieved more Force power after Kenobi and Yoda passed away... sort of like they were both giving him an additional boost. Just a thought.

#22 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 10 2006, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're missing the point. Yoda didn't tell Qui-Gon that Anakin was too old because he was too old. He sensed a lot of fear in Anakin... possibly because he was created by a Sith Lord.

So Yoda was a liar.

#23 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

And he was afraid. Hmmmmmm...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#24 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 10 2006, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Yoda was a liar.

I'm not saying he was a total liar, but keep this in mind:

Ben Kenobi: Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

I think Yoda really meant Anakin was old enough to understand that it hurts to lose somebody. Maybe given the situation (Anakin being taken from his mother at 9 or 10 years old to train as a Jedi Padawan) Yoda thought it was a bad idea. The Jedi usually trained their own kind from infancy. So, in a way... Anakin was too old. If Yoda had not sensed fear in him, he may have said, "Ok, no problem, Qui-Gon."

#25 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

He never learns how to do Jedi mind trick… as far as we know

Didn't he use the Mind Trick on ol' Bib there in Jabba's Palace?

#26 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (diligent_d @ Mar 10 2006, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't he use the Mind Trick on ol' Bib there in Jabba's Palace?

You got me there.

#27 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

I think he did
OH NO!!!

#28 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:57 AM

Yes, he did.

And Jejef, not to be mean or anything, but have you read the first page of this thread?
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#29 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Mar 11 2006, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, he did.

And Jejef, not to be mean or anything, but have you read the first page of this thread?

Zatoichi I have read the first page of this thread and two posts, in particular, sum it up very nicely. Paladin's and Ucaptious' posts express why Anakin and Luke were 'too old' to begin training.

Somehow Ucaptious' post was overlooked by the... high brow elitists... that claim, "Down with GL, down with the PT! This is our Star Wars, not GL's!" Not sure why... but then again, I'm sure he didn't have a valid point anyways.

#30 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:58 AM

Than look again. I happened to respond to both of them myself (albiet to Paladin's in a silly way), so they weren't overlooked. I even had quoted Ucaptious. Seriously, it's not like it was hard to find or something.

This post has been edited by Zatoichi: 11 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size