Chefelf.com Night Life: Lamest planet - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Lamest planet Interesting, and the furthest from.

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:38 AM

I don't pretend to list them all to make a poll. Tatooine is pretty uninteresting, but it never promised to be anything else.

I've boiled spagetti sauce. From Mustafar's orbit, I saw no such "special effects". (Has my vote for now.)

If the Death Star is so big and powerful, would not the gravitational affect of Yavin have made any difference if DS1 chose to leave orbit? If we never saw DS1 &/or 2 in the PT would be be any less happy/happier?

#2 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:44 AM

I have always been impressed by Camino, although that one has my vote for the most stupid name. But the planet which is one gigantic ocean has at least some traces of plausability - I believe it can actually exist. And it was the only scene in AOTC which looked remotely cool, the rain swept waves.

When it comes to the lamest planet, I have to agree with Mustafar. Why would anyone want to set foot on a planed covered with lava? Why were there some sort of facilities there? Where they fishing in the lava? Mining it?

There so many cool planets in the EU universe, even in KOTOR. And why not show Kessel, which necessarity must be like a strategic point if "spice" is mined here, which surely must be a valuable commodity. I can't see anything useful which can be made out of lava.

And DS in AOTC and ROTS is just one big massive shrug of shoulders and a broken pencil. Pointless.

#3 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:08 AM

Geonosis is hands down the dullest planet.

#4 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

I like them all.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#5 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

Dantooine, can't even hold a Rebel Base for long......

Geonosis is really nad, especially the Gladiator-like stadium whose sole purpose of existance seems to be for the eventual wiping out of the inhabitants who frequent it. The droid factory within was unbelievably bad and unrealistic.

#6 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

Worst Planet Ever: Felucia...That glowing hell hole does not fit in with anything that I imagined from the OT and thats the worst thing about the PT...If I cant picture something in the OT then it just does not work for me! For example, I cant imagine that stupid screaming dinosaur that "Obi Wan" rides or that stupid diner alien existing in the same world as Luke Skywalker...

Best Planet: Hoth...just plain creepy

I thought about the gravity thing too...There is no concievable way that a "small moon" shaped battle station could move around without affecting the gravity of its surrounding planet. Plus, how the hell could something that big have enough fuel to move around the galaxy. It just shows you that Star Wars like all fantasy movies is full of irrationality, but at least the OT offered an illusion of rationality. We were willing to accept some things, because other things seemed perfectly conceivable. That is not the case in the PT. Everything is so over done and over dramatized that it just leaves you bored and uninspired. Your imagination is crushed, your intellect is mocked, and you get stupid planets like Felucia......
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

Manaan (KOTOR) was far cooler than Camino (AOTC)

Manaan, Korriban, etc were cooler than any new planets in the PT. I agree with GL4G there, when i saw that there was next to nothing in the PT that felt or looked lik it belonged in the SW:OT galaxy...

KOTOR on the other hand did. i get flashbacks to my childhood when i play that game...

Lamest planet... it's hard to choose...

Mustafar... the planet with an arabic dude's name, located just a few parsecs from planet 'Yasir' and the moon of 'Achmed' that orbit's the great planet 'Kareem'.
being covered in lava is actually a cool concept... what people were meant to be mining there i'll never know, but it looked like they were mining lava... and that lava just wasn't hot enough.. why you can stand a foot above it on a surfboard and you won't even break a sweat...

Camino...

why did Yarael Poof (pictured left) of the Jedi Counsel, not know where Taun We (pictured right) of the planet Kamino lived? Not even a guess...?

Naboo... the planet that should not be. Lamest name, and completeley unneccassary! and birth place of Jar Jar Binx.

Geonosis... AKA planet greenscreen even though it's scenes were filmed in a studio in Sydney, a day or two's trip from a desert that look's exactly like it in central NSW. Nice one... Mr.post production.
and let's not even start on the whole Genisis of the droids there...
(ooh... anyone else notice that?)

Courescant... the windless city. let's not start that up again, but you know what i'm talking about.

EDIT: HTML

This post has been edited by barend: 10 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

The one on the left kind of looks a little like a scrotum at the base of the neck. The other looks like tongue.gif that blue muppet in Jabba's Band.

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Nov 10 2005, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why did Yarael Poof (pictured left) of the Jedi Counsel, not know where Taun We (pictured right) of the planet Kamino lived? Not even a guess...?

That's a really good call. I can't believe I missed that. sad.gif

There are a lot of boring worlds to choose from.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#10 User is offline   Grievous_X Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:08 PM

Naboo. Plains, forest, underwater cities. It's just like Earth. And what's lamer than Earth?

Dagobah: Swamps, Tall trees, Old gezzers in huts. It's just like the deep south. And what's lamer than the deep south?

Hoth: Snow, Ice caves, Rebel bases and giant snow men. It's just like Canada. And what's lamer than Canada?

j/k

Naboo definatly.
Grievous fan. :P

ROTS Grievous was never real, like young Ani, or Dooku, Or Jar Jar *Cringes.

IPB Image

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 12 2005, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a really good call. I can't believe I missed that. sad.gif

i'm suprised that i brought it up first... i don't even have the DVDs.

but the mind boggles that such unlikley evolution could occur twice.

what's more.. i'm dissapointed that we didn't see poof die during the order66 mont.

it's probably because he was killed by a low ceiling fan.

poof: Anikan? what are you doing here?!?
*stands up*
BZZZZT
*falls back into seat*

...anikan looks back at troops, shrugs shoulders, backs out of room and closes door.

#12 User is offline   Stray nerf Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

Worst planet: Craptooine, Okay?
Halfway between Dantooine and Tatooine, it is a hidden planet where dark plots are born. Like the plots of the prequels.

It has 7 suns so no inhabitant has a clue what direction they are going in.
These suns, however, are so far away they shed little light on the mysteries of Craptooine.

I know this isn't a serious answer, but neither are midi-chlorians.

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:51 PM

the low ceiling fan decapitation was, however.

#14 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:33 AM

Mustafar: Why not just have 1 volcano or a chain of them on an already existing planet.

Naboo: Why not instead use a planet already in existance and accepted in the Star Wars universe. A good example would be Onderon + Dxun where there is already an established locale and royalty already in place. Still if Leia's title was because of Alderanian royalty, did her mother necassarily have to be royalty?

Geonosis: Why not just call it Mars? And seriously, how does it support that much life to begin with? Did the even have a large source of water. Tatooine as a desert planet was acceptable, this is just ridiculous.

Camino: Acceptable planetwise, but Manaan or Mon Calamari could have worked just as well, if not better.

Courescant: As previously stated everyone already knows. Still, at least it was a previously established planet.

Whatever planet Obi-wan kills Greivous on: Perfectly acceptable, but why not once again use an already existing and acceptable planet instead.

The several other planets shown when the Jedi die: I bet there are whole bios on these planets in the Star Wars Databank. Not like you could really tell which ones they were anyways.

This all begs the question of why they needed a brand new planet for everything? Was that what drove the plot, the changing landscape?
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#15 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:03 PM

The thing is, all those "already established planets" are unknown to most fans and the general public. Only those steeped in the EU remember them.

Except for Mon Calamari, I had never heard of any of those new planets until your post, and I've been a fan for 22 years! But I haven't read and memorized every EU source or played every game to know all these planets.

Lucas probably figured the same.. that by and large most people don't know them, so he might as well make up his own names that he thinks sounds cool.

I agree with you, the goofiest planet was that one with the giant flowers and Stormtroopers riding giant blobs. The most far out fantasy looking one of all, and Lucas even admitted that. He just wanted something totally exotic. It looks like something from Willy Wonka or the Wizard of Oz. A lot of the planets in Star Wars are perposterous, but none of them I really hate. Still, the Alice in Wonderland inspired planet is pretty out there, in contrast to what we usually get.

Actually now that I think about it the "all one climate" brain bug is probably pretty prevelant in Sci Fi. Look at how many of them were in Dune first (desert planet, factory planet, ocean planet).

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size