Chefelf.com Night Life: Harry Potter and the Stolen Plot Devices - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Harry Potter and the Stolen Plot Devices 'Coincidence'... yeah, right.

#16 User is offline   The Lord of Dorkness Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:40 PM

If I know HP as well as I think he does, he won't be dead for long...maybe he'll do a Kenobi and return as a ghost...
[Qoute] it's not me using a double standard, it's you using a half-standard.
(that should be in someone's signature) [/Qoute]
As you command, Lord Barend.

#17 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

I pulled this pic off the IGN VEstibule years ago:

#18 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ Oct 30 2005, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that thought occured to me as well.

I think it would be hilarious if in Book Seven there was some event which turned Harry into a dark wizard. A scene might be like this:

SCENE ONE

VOLDEMORT: First I want you to go to Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Eliminate all wizards. Do what must be done, Lord Potter. Do not hesistate, show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough to see your parents again.

HARRY: Yes, my master.
SCENE TWO
Harry is marching up the stairs into Hogwarts. At least 200 death eaters are following behind him.
SCENE THREE
Harry enters the Griffyndor Common Room. Several frightened first year students are awake and relieved to see Harry.

YOUNG WIZARD: Harry. There are too many of them. What are we to do?

HARRY: AVADA KEDAVRA!

biggrin.gif HAHAHAHA....that one really made me chuckle. The funnier thing is that I could imagine that being a really great part of the story. I felt it was a little too cheesy for Star Wars...but it fits perfect for "the boy who lived."

#19 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Three words:

Fuck Harry Potter.

#20 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

4 words:

go screw a kangaroo
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#21 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

5 Words:

You Might be the father

(Honestly, this game could go on forever...lets just stop it right here...shall we?)

#22 User is offline   Darth Pants Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:43 AM

I'd say she did a good enough job up to the sixth book. The Half Blood Prince was just totally dull. And I'm just waiting for the totally unrealistic situation in the 7th book where Harry Potter defeats Lord Voldemort in a 1 on 1 duel.

You mean Harry Potter and the Half-Arsed Prince? Yes, it was totally dull apart from Obi Wan Dumbledore's death. tongue.gif Rowling seems to be fairly adept at writing cheesy romances, though - HAP was full of 'em!

He is aided in his quest by two companions - one male, one female - who end up romantically involved with each other.

You forget to talk about their bickering. Not like Han/Leia, in my opinion, but more like R2D2 and C3PO.

SCENE ONE

VOLDEMORT: First I want you to go to Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Eliminate all wizards. Do what must be done, Lord Potter. Do not hesistate, show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough to see your parents again.

HARRY: Yes, my master.

SCENE TWO
Harry is marching up the stairs into Hogwarts. At least 200 death eaters are following behind him.

SCENE THREE
Harry enters the Griffyndor Common Room. Several frightened first year students are awake and relieved to see Harry.

YOUNG WIZARD: Harry. There are too many of them. What are we to do?

HARRY: AVADA KEDAVRA!

LOL! But I do feel that Rowling lacks the guts to do that. There's no way she's going to turn Harry into the next "dark lord" - she's already said time and time again that HP isn't Star Wars. In fact, I was perusing her interviews and I got the impression that she was trying to distance HP from SW.

At first I thougth Rowling jumped the shark with book 2, but then she rebounded with book 3, and then books 4 and 5 were just really overlong and then there was that whole prophecy crap in #5. Book 6 was okay, though the only exceptional part was.... I'm not saying for those who haven't read it.

IMO The only semi-decent book that Rowling's written is book 3 - coincidently, that was the only book in which Voldy (I know, it rhymes with Palpy) does not face Harry.

I still think Rowling's books are very far from being either original or good

I agree.

This post has been edited by Darth Pants: 07 January 2006 - 02:10 AM

#23 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

The thing that really bothered me in the 6th book was Dumbledore's death. There was absolutely no point of him dying. I can understand that if they went to that cave, and Dumbledore gave his life to find a REAL horcrux, then maybe it would have been a worthwhile death. But instead, there's this totally pointless journey where Dumbledore stupidly poisons himself and then lets Snape kill him.

It's basically like Rowling was thinking "Wow, this book has been pretty boring so far. Maybe if I kill off one of the most important characters it will really take people back."

And I really don't see why Harry shouldn't become the next dark lord. He is a horribly undisciplined wizard, should have been chosen into the Slytherin house, has attempted to cast the Crucio curse twice, and is proficient with using some of the "Half Blood Prince's" dark spells. I would actually welcome the surprise of him becoming a dark lord.

Alas, we're going to be subjected to Harry, a lucky (NOT skilled) wizard, defeating Voldemort in a 1 on 1 duel. It's just stupid, and the fact that Harry's only advantage over Voldemort is "the power of love" is so lame is makes me want to puke.

This post has been edited by Storm: 08 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

#24 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

I agree...totally puke-worthy

#25 User is offline   Darth Pants Icon

• New Cop

Post icon  Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

The thing that really bothered me in the 6th book was Dumbledore's death. There was absolutely no point of him dying. I can understand that if they went to that cave, and Dumbledore gave his life to find a REAL horcrux, then maybe it would have been a worthwhile death. But instead, there's this totally pointless journey where Dumbledore stupidly poisons himself and then lets Snape kill him.

It's basically like Rowling was thinking "Wow, this book has been pretty boring so far. Maybe if I kill off one of the most important characters it will really take people back."

LOL!

I agree with you, Obi Wan Dumbledore didn't need to die at that point, but his death was the only high point in Half Arsed Prince, take that away and the book is, well, DULL.

And I really don't see why Harry shouldn't become the next dark lord. He is a horribly undisciplined wizard, should have been chosen into the Slytherin house, has attempted to cast the Crucio curse twice, and is proficient with using some of the "Half Blood Prince's" dark spells. I would actually welcome the surprise of him becoming a dark lord.

Yes, it would be nice but Rowling's just too damn conservative to make him the next dark lord. Her writing has not impressed me a bit, so far.

When book 4 was released Rowling said that a major character was going to be killed - that major character turned out to be Cedric Diggory. laugh.gif Then she killed another two-bit character, Sirius Black, in book 5. Sirius may be Harry's godfather, but since he's introduced in late book 3, we don't care much for him. Obi Wan Dumbledore's the only long-standing character she's killed, 6 books into the series and that's ridiculous, IMO. More long standing characters should've bit the dust by now.

Alas, we're going to be subjected to Harry, a lucky (NOT skilled) wizard, defeating Voldemort in a 1 on 1 duel.

Harry's too inept to become the next dark lord. We're told that Riddle was studious and brilliant. Harry, well, he's another story, altogether. Honestly, I can't see him defeating Palpy Voldy. Rowling will do something cheesy and contrived to make that happen - wanna bet that the raging munster in Harry's chest will defeat the Dark Lord?

This post has been edited by Darth Pants: 09 January 2006 - 08:56 AM

#26 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

And remember friends - everything is stolen from something else. Even the stuff that's being stolen from is stealing from something else.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#27 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Giff @ Jan 3 2006, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pulled this pic off the IGN VEstibule years ago:

Bwahahaha! Sorry for the very, very late reply, but that is hysterical. I only wish it weren't too long to be used as a sig.

QUOTE (Storm @ Jan 9 2006, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm of the opinion that she's simply trying to establish her 'dark' credentials, myself. "These books definitely aren't aimed at twelve-year-olds, no sirree!"
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#28 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

No coinscedence, basis of it were done.
OH NO!!!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply