• « First
  • Last »

Let's Play A Game

#136 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

And satan's pilgrims. I can never think of all I want to do at once...
And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man! And we want to get loaded!

#137 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

Warren Zevon
Poets of the Fall

#138 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:52 PM

The Clash
PRESS PLAY ON TAPE
Arto Tunc Boyaciyan
The Wailers

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 16 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

#139 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:01 AM

Brace yourself, I have a suspicion that this thread died a few months ago already. sad.gif

#140 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

Heccubus will be back mothers! He can't allow his topics to die!

#141 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

Well, he's been Engage'd, after all...

#142 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Still, he can't spend all his time... 'getting ready' can he?

#143 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

I'm waiting for some replies. I'm also disappointed on the lack of evaluation given to some. But if I want in depth, I'll read Your Band Sucks on SA, I guess. tongue.gif

My list:

Tool (preferably pre -10,000 Days, only since I've heard that that is really easy to dis, and I'd like to see you work on proper criticism)
Weird Al
Alkaline Trio
The B-52s
CKY
Eve 6
Frank Zappa
Jethro Tull

I think that should do it for now.

And for the record, Operation Ivy is abysmal. I found one of their albums, and it was essentially the same one and a half minute typical punk song, multiplied by 21 or so tracks. I honestly couldn't tell when one ended and another began. I can't see any redeemable qualities in their music.what-so-ever.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#144 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

The Arctic Monkeys
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#145 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

Heccubus, why do you have this topic in your sig if you don't update it anymore? crying.gif

#146 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

I don't bother checking the music forum 90% of the time because I represent about two thirds of the usage of it. But fine, since you're resorting to whining, I'll run through some of what was posted recently.

Arctic Monkeys
Arctic Monkeys are more or less proof that the English have questionable taste. They've broken records in the UK for first week album sales, and have done so without an original sound, interesting music, or even a decent band name. To me, they sound like what would happen if the Clash and Oasis got pregnant and aborted the fetus all over a pile of Jam records. They're nothing worth noting whatsoever.
Despite this, I own both of their records. Call me gullible, I just can't let go of the fact that I'm missing the point of their music. If the entire UK can get a giant erection from them, surely there must be something there. Though, in all fairness, this is also a nation that sent Crazy Frog skyrocketing up the charts. So that's doubtful.

Tool
What do you get when you cross a good drummer, a bassist that no one would recognize on the street, an over-rated guitarist, and a pretentious, egotistical dick? Well you either get Tool, or one of the hundreds of sad knockoffs that have come and gone since their shambolic birth into American popular music. I can admit that they have a handful of decent material, but as soon as they decided to release "Lateralus" they also decided that making good music was something they should leave up to other people. If I wanted to hear some bullshit hybrid of Rush and Black Sabbath, I'd just do myself the favour and ram a drillbit through my ear on my own terms, rather than having it forced in by Maynard James Keenan's droning vocal nonsensities.

Weird Al
I hate people who say shit like "Oh Weird Al just isn't funny anymore." He was never funny. Well, that's a lie. He used to be funny because you used to be eight years old, and thought changing words around in songs to make them sound silly was a really, really good idea. Once you hit the ripe, wisened age of ten, however, it sort of dawned on you what a fucking imecile he is, and you moved on with your life. I will, however, give him credit for his phenomenal voice role in Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and for UHF, which is by and far the best comedy made by a shitty musician ever (next to Tommy).

Alkaline Trio
AFI - those one or two decent albums they put out = Alkaline Trio

The B-52s
Talking Heads - Talent = The B-52s.
To elaborate, however, the B52s managed to pull off one good album. Then they turned out the exact same album several times over the next 20 years, and finally fucking went away some time back.

CKY
For a band that got famous because of their drummer's brother, who happens to be a buffoon who enjoys getting injured on camera, CKY certainly do know how to milk the over-emotive melodic metal schtick. The only thing keeping them from being Trapt, or Three Days Grace is an iota of decent guitar riffs.

Eve 6
I had the misfortune of seeing these retards live in the summer of 2000. Even at the age of fifteen, and with the worst music taste you can imagine, I still thought they sucked. I thought they sucked even worse when they started acting all "goofy" and joking around on stage to a sea of blank stares. It's bad enough that they play a particularly offensive brand of bland, cookie-cutter 90s alt-rawk nonsense, they have to go and be unfunny too. I think I can honestly say that I hate them on every conceivable level.

Frank Zappa
Pretentious hipster banality. About 5% of his work is even worth mentioning, and the rest is just bullshit musical wankery. He may be someone I respect for his efforts in attempting to prevent the censorship of modern music, but his own musical output is barely worth blinking at.

Jethro Tull
Who plays a fucking pan flute in a rock band? I had to listen to this shit daily when I lived with a couple of asshole prog fans a few years back, and it nearly drove me insane. Walk in the door after working all night and hear "DOOO DOOO ODOODODODODOOOODODOOOO" pan flute tooting wafting down the hall, followed closely by the smell of freshly smoked weed. That's all these fucking idiots did was smoke weed and listen to Jethro Tull. I'm amazed that I didn't kill someone. The fact that Jethro Tull won the first ever Grammy awarded for best Heavy Metal album pretty much inadvertently proves my point when I say that the Grammys are a fucking farce. And the next time someone tries to convince me that shit like Jethro Tull or Rush is worth listening to, I will gladly do them the favour of throwing them from a plane into a tank of ill-tempered cobras.

That's all I'm doing for now.

#147 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thank you, sir. I appreciate you taking the time to insult some music, FINALLY.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#148 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

At this moment in time, I haven't heard anything except what they have up on YouTube, and this really only started three days ago for me, but DAMN. I can't turn it off.

OK Go.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#149 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

OK Go
They're the sort of "indie" rock that it's okay for people who wear backwards baseball caps and plaid button down shirts to listen to. People who call each other "bro" and think it's a great idea to wear nothing but clothes with the name of whatever community college they attend plastered all over them. Their music is like a sort of hybrid between dull-headed cock rock (ie: AC/DC) and mopey indie rock (ie: Pavement), with a dash of radio-ready pop tossed in to try and move some records. I guess ultimately there's nothing really wrong with listening to OK Go, it just means that you've managed to lower your standards enough to forego any sort of discretion in choosing your music.

#150 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

Here's a fun one:

Anal Cunt.
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size