Chefelf.com Night Life: Are these statistics Racist or Incorrect? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Are these statistics Racist or Incorrect?

#46 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, Spoon, like Jordan said, we got Hooters here too. Its main attraction is the irony; straight gals like to go there for the same resaons they like strip clubs, because they like to say afterwards that the girls are all skanky and not that attractive. Fact is, this is the case; it's a low-rent dive compared with Cactus Club (from what I hear; I have never acquired the level of irony necessary to go there). Apparently Jordan disagrees, and that's fine: the one he attends may be the uptown branch that has a lot of competition from other restaurants and attractions, and frankly, gals are dressed up all the time uptown, so he may think those gals are "average" (note to self: hang out with Jordan). One I go to from time to time (when I want a mid-priced steak, of course) is near the film studio, and I swear every one of these gals has her headshot and resume in her locker. They are trying to introduce waiters these days, maybe as an experiment, maybe for the gay appeal, maybe to attract women. Who knows how that'll play out.

Notes on diversity: I don't know if it's a thing we ought to be trying to force. It seems the natural tendency of people to segregate themselves. The job of a government ought to be to avoid that segregation in its own realm, and that is what affirmative action is for. The school bussing however is odd, and probably didn't help to remove racism and gang activity. 40 years later we still have those things. Meanwhile the kids are just tired from a long commute and have less time for extracurriculars.

College is different: people go where they apply to go. Racial quotas may be there to give middle-class opportunities to black kids, but straight-A white kids are not getting turned away, and folks of both races can fail out after first year.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#47 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:44 PM

There are several colleges around here, that if they could, they would turn people away for their race or religion... Of course, finding some other "reason" that they're turning them away. Some colleges still manage to do a bit of it.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size