• You cannot reply to this topic

Canada Mmmmm Toronto

#46 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Jan 11 2006, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been to Canada a long time ago to visit some people but did not like the overcrowding of shops and the food. I hear it takes three months? Of hard labour for papers just to become a citizen. The people I was staying did not have much time as for working six full days a week just to earn a decent wage, if that has changed. I rather have my two days rest compared to that.

Enjoyed the tourist attractions though.

How long ago was this?

We have 5 day working weeks just like everyone else, the schedule just depends on the person's job. I mean, not EVERYONE can work 5 day working weeks, but I'm sure you knew that. Working 6 days for a 'decent' wage, though... what's a 'decent' wage to you? And what were their occupations?

Also, overcrowding? Where were you? lol.

Getting citizenship here, I have no idea about that, since I was born here. I guess I'll assume there's paperwork, but I really don't care.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#47 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

Only three months for citizenship? I'm pretty sure you need to be in Australia for seven years before you can apply here.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#48 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hey, it's still better than Britian where you have to wait 12 months, then take some stupid citizenship test that 95% of countries native resisdents can't pass.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#49 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

*music* BLAME CANADA doo doo dooo dooooooo do doooo
OH NO!!!

#50 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Jan 12 2006, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long ago was this?

We have 5 day working weeks just like everyone else, the schedule just depends on the person's job. I mean, not EVERYONE can work 5 day working weeks, but I'm sure you knew that. Working 6 days for a 'decent' wage, though... what's a 'decent' wage to you? And what were their occupations?

Also, overcrowding? Where were you? lol.

Getting citizenship here, I have no idea about that, since I was born here. I guess I'll assume there's paperwork, but I really don't care.

A trip to Toronto, Ontario in 1998:
This is just my experience:
Too many shops in the town, took two hours just for a ten mile trip from the airport. Not sure if the 50 miles an hour has been lifted. For food not every product but different brands to my choice, brought from the local shopping malls made me feel sleepy and ill, especially after consuming the large caramel nut bars and Canada Dry drink. The take away food from shops and cafes didn't have much of a taste. Now I watch what I eat of course.

I agree people have their own definition of money. The one I am talking about is a decent wage to afford a large house and pay the way. Also for work, relating to law firms, doctors and international buyers. Oh for the citizenship I think it applied to people in their working years, not for people at school years.

Do not know much of the reality and people there so I would like to hear differently.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 12 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

#51 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Jan 12 2006, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, it's still better than Britian where you have to wait 12 months, then take some stupid citizenship test that 95% of countries native resisdents can't pass.

From the problem they were having with immigration.
I did not know about citizenship tests. Shouldn't they give them the test first then focus on their ambitions?

#52 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

Immirgration has nothing to do with it, most immirgrants to Blighty these days are a blessing. Before anyone goes blaming them for sponging off the state let's remember that the native population does that to a greater degree.

As for the citizenship test, it's more of a joke about how out of touch the politicians are with society than anything else, feel free to take a stab at the rough approximation below

http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/4099770.stm

The university average is 4.2/14. Questions 6,8, and 9 being the easiest.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#53 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Jan 13 2006, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Immirgration has nothing to do with it, most immirgrants to Blighty these days are a blessing. Before anyone goes blaming them for sponging off the state let's remember that the native population does that to a greater degree.

As for the citizenship test, it's more of a joke about how out of touch the politicians are with society than anything else, feel free to take a stab at the rough approximation below

http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/4099770.stm

The university average is 4.2/14. Questions 6,8, and 9 being the easiest.

Was not stating it was a bad thing at all. Just the time when it was out of control such as gangs who illegally brought and exploited the people who are running from their country into under paid jobs.

I read that some people in England are just as bad by not bothering to work and sometimes just have children to gain more benefits. Foreigners from poor countries might work here at good paid jobs to support their families back home.

Most of questions I read seems reasonable to learn the lifestyle in England given a book. What does an argumentive, mythical subject "Father Christmas" has to do with it?
Some say he was from Lapland and not the North Pole.

#54 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

I got 6, mind you first question is a trick question, I thought quizzes weren't suppose to be sarcastic

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 13 January 2006 - 12:26 PM

#55 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

Life in the UK says to be British means you should...
I think it should be, "To become a Citizen this means you should..."

A: "Respect laws, the elected political structures, traditional values of mutual tolerance and respect for rights and mutual concern."

Mutual tolerance, and respect for rights and mutual concern. Life does not appear to be that way.

C: "be part of a modern European democracy, one with a tradition of sharing our ways with the world – and allowing the world to bring its ways to us."

This has already happened in many different forms. America brought their ways to England including their war and now attempts to introduce GM foods. How about trading, importing, business travelling, and the European Union?

Indirectly stating that, foreign countries views are wrong, does this speak for question A?

"We accept you for your EU pass, but we are now asking that you do not take part and believe in the European democracy." Could this statement be true?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 13 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

#56 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

I don't believe in democracy, its how fucktards that don't have enough backbone to take power get to lead.

#57 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

I thought it was a way of listening to people, and to concentrate on important issues. From what I read, they worry about trivial matters such as enforcing one type of weight on scales, banning certain fruits and additional taxes on the size of imports. It appears to be bureaucracy in disguise.

Oh and the new issue of GM food, this time trying to sell it as organic because some lands are already contaminated. This can be an excuse to spread the contamination further. Was this their plan from the start. How can it be organic when it was interfered with genetically?

Now that is their problem, I suppose they don't have enough "backbone" to clean that up so it does not interfere with other produces. Clearly an insult to shoppers who don't believe in cheap modified food. This does not speak for rights and mutual concerns now does it?

http://www.truthabou...cle.asp?id=5024

Don't mind carefully modifying food for a purpose of survival upon reaching the stage of extinction, but that purpose was conducted towards cheapening food.

One day can this happen? "We won't know what caused these health problems because it is organic".

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 13 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

#58 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

Quite true.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#59 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Jan 12 2006, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A trip to Toronto, Ontario in 1998:
This is just my experience:
Too many shops in the town, took two hours just for a ten mile trip from the airport. Not sure if the 50 miles an hour has been lifted. For food not every product but different brands to my choice, brought from the local shopping malls made me feel sleepy and ill, especially after consuming the large caramel nut bars and Canada Dry drink. The take away food from shops and cafes didn't have much of a taste. Now I watch what I eat of course.

I agree people have their own definition of money. The one I am talking about is a decent wage to afford a large house and pay the way. Also for work, relating to law firms, doctors and international buyers. Oh for the citizenship I think it applied to people in their working years, not for people at school years.

Do not know much of the reality and people there so I would like to hear differently.

Oh, alright, I have a better picture now. tongue.gif

Then, and even now, Toronto has one of the highest morgage / rental rates in Ontario. It costs a LOT of money to afford large housing in that area ; its even a fair amount to even rent an apartment. sad.gif . Most people normally go towards the outer cities, like Brampton, Oakville, or Mississauga, because its cheaper? And a lot more spaced out.

I don't really like how all of Toronto's stores are all close together, and you're right, they do kind of have a stuffy atmosphere to them. I can only walk in the underground PATH system, or look up at big buildings for too long. sad.gif

But ANYways, you should've visited other cities close by. There's lots to see. smile.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#60 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Dr Lecter @ Jan 13 2006, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got 6, mind you first question is a trick question, I thought quizzes weren't suppose to be sarcastic

It is by the BBC mate, one of the last bastions of the quirky British humour.

QUOTE (Dr Lecter @ Jan 13 2006, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't believe in democracy, its how fucktards that don't have enough backbone to take power get to lead.

Nope. Democracy is the legal way of seizing power, and like everything legal it's happily twisted to suit the needs of the few. Providing you're the head of the mob you can do what the fuck you like, and you come out smelling of roses.

Just like a Dictatorship, but with moral high ground.
IPB Image

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic