• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Colbert Report

#16 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

Gobbler here, speaking on behalf of Germany:
Oh. So. True. Although our definition of being crazy is not as outgoing and flashy as it might be in some other places, I can definitely say that more than 2/3rds out of a population of over 80 million are nutcases.

Wheeeeeee~~~~!

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#17 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Mar 25 2006, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright so its another cheap laugh which goes over the same tired old ground AGAIN ("the japanese are so crazy!") and as such i'm sure the producers would say "don't take it seriously".

You know that’s really weird. My entire life, I have never heard that stereotype - that Japanese people are weird or crazy. Hmmm. Interesting.

QUOTE (jariten @ Mar 26 2006, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While a producer of a show like that would say "its just for fun", the trouble is that there are very few avenues of exposure available to a western audience about Japan or Asia in general (that clip also didnt seem to care that it was randomly throwing asian stereotypes out there as if "its asia, its all the same thing") and they generally come from two sources-

So I guess the Japanese don’t ever stereotype Americans then. Or anyone else for that matter.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 26 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

#18 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

Or try to sell T-Shirts which say, in Japanes, "I'm a stupid American."

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 26 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#19 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

So I guess the Japanese don’t ever stereotype Americans then. Or anyone else for that matter

So whats this Colbert then?

Payback?

Jesus.

It isnt about stereotypes as much as avenues of information....I dont know just go back and read the last few posts I made.

This post has been edited by jariten: 26 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

#20 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hey I wasn’t arguing, I was just throwing it out there. All peoples are guilty of prejudice and stereotyping. That’s all I was getting at.

#21 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:08 AM

What is with all the arguing around here lately? I think I'm going to start clamping down on you children soon.

#22 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 26 2006, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey I wasn’t arguing, I was just throwing it out there. All peoples are guilty of prejudice and stereotyping. That’s all I was getting at.

I know, and i'm sorry...sometimes my posts make me sound far more aggressive than I am. Apologies! smile.gif

#23 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

No worries. smile.gif

#24 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:16 AM

You can see Colbert on cspan.org click the washington press corps dinner.

He bombs for like twenty minutes or so. See for yourself! tongue.gif

#25 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ May 2 2006, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can see Colbert on cspan.org click the washington press corps dinner.

He bombs for like twenty minutes or so. See for yourself! tongue.gif

I cant find it. sad.gif

#26 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

under recent programs

"white house correspondent's dinner."

#27 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

I found it but I couldn’t watch it. I’m to nervous. If he says something ignorant (which I hear he did) I wont be able to watch his show any more without getting pissed off, and I really like that show and I don’t want to screw up a good thing.

#28 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

Bush's schtick was funny. There were several LOL moments when I watched the show at work yesterday. It's about 2 hours, including the red carpet portion. Colbert comes on for the last bit, so you could turn it off then. I never realized he's supposed to be an O'Reilly takeoff. But I've never agreed with his take, either.

#29 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ May 2 2006, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never realized he's supposed to be an O'Reilly takeoff. But I've never agreed with his take, either.

I wouldn’t have guessed that at all. O’Reilly is more of a dick, and more of an independent. I don’t always agree with him, but I love him cause he’s an asshole and he’s constantly cutting people off and has no idea how rude he is. Its great!

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:38 AM

What I Meant was I never cared for Colbert. O'Reilly's ok, my ex gave me his books but I never read them.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic