Chefelf.com Night Life: Ancient cultures - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Ancient cultures Coming from the debate club.

Poll: Which is better

Which is better

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:49 PM

Ah, the symptoms of soft drink withdrawal.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#32 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:08 PM

Greece had a much cooler pantheon.

Egypt's was just a bunch of pussies with reused and rehashed names (which is a big pain in the butt when reading up on them). That and they had pretend gods on Earth. Well, if they were gods on earth, why did they never produce any miracles and get killed in battle? And they say that God is hard to believe in. Obviously the Egyptians were dipshits as well.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#33 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:B Horror Movies, Distopian Literature, Cult Rituals, Puppies.

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

It doesn't make sense... Greek had fake gods on earth too. Greek was stupid enough to attack themselves, letting the Romans take them over.

#34 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

No, no, they were just the stories and backstories of the gods, not the gods themselves. The leader of the Egyptians was supposedly a god. He was a public figure. Everyone knew about him, and probably many people saw him.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#35 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

He wasn't a god. He was "a leader chosen by the gods". You, my friend, are thinking of the Roman empire. The Romans had a basic set of gods, the same as the greeks pretty much, but they also believed their leaders to be gods.

#36 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

No, the Pharoh (or however you spell it) was a god at one point. During the period when they were either worshipping Aten or Aten-Re as their primary god, I think.

Greek gods are great! They have whole soap opera thing going on. They get crabby when people don't do what they want, but doing what they want, even being their favorite is no guaruntee they won't zap you with lighting. And they confuse all the poor humans by telling them to do one thing and then another, and lying to them and getting OTHER gods angry at everyone...

Zeus is the head god, but he doesn't actually get his way most of the time. He THREATENS, sure, but nobody listens to him because he never really backs up his threats with action. Hera annoys him, he yells at her, she yells back, he backs down.
And he pretty much lets Athena do whatever she wants. Very bad parenting. But she seems to manage herself fairly well. And Greek gods have more children on Earth. In fact, so many people in the Illiad are related to Zeus that there is severe risk of inbreeding. As my history teacher would put it, Zeus really gets around.

And for quite a while, Ancient Greeks didn't go in for simple addition and subtraction, which makes for the incredible ability of Achilles to fight a war at the age of two and his son to actually be older than he is....
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#37 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:02 PM

Listen, the time when ancient Egypt became a monotheistic religion only lasted for like 30 years, and most of that history was later erased. If the phaorohs were treated like a god at that time, they knew that it was wrong so later tried to cover it up. However, the fact still remains that they had a much better government then the greeks.

The Egyptians were all governed by one leader, chosen by the gods. This means that if you defied him, you were infact defying the gods. The greeks were based on city-states, where each city made it's own law and even altered it's religion. Every city-state in history has ended badly due to civil war.

When Sparta attacked Athens, the attack lasted for about 200 years, weakening their empire. At the end of the war, Athens surrendered but not before the damage was done. The two greatest cities were now the weakest and were easy targets for a just starting Roman Empire (at that time just a small army).

This in my opinion is why the Egyptians beat the Greeks ass.

This post has been edited by banned: 13 October 2005 - 04:03 PM

#38 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Mirithorn @ Oct 13 2005, 04:54 PM)
No, the Pharoh (or however you spell it) was a god at one point.  During the period when they were either worshipping Aten or Aten-Re as their primary god, I think.

Wrongo. They all were considered to be gods. It was one of the main reasons why they built the pyramids and had so many people and wealth entombed with them in the first place. To continue to serve them in the afterlife/heaven/their realms that they recieved when they died.

The sun god was nearly always their primary god. Under the direction of one pharoh (whose name I have forgotten) they worshipped just the head while he was in power. After his death, they went back to worshipping many gods.

#39 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

You, my friend, are wrong. The sun god was real, but as soon as it was introduced the person spreading the religion was beheaded. And they were buried in temples because they were above humans, yet much less then gods. They were chosen by the gods sir, I have never been more serious.

#40 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

Egypt is too hot. And it has too much sand. I don't like sand. Or hot weather. Or plants that grow in hot weather. So Egypt is possibly the worst place I could be, save perhaps a rainforest.

Greece is warm, but not opressively hot, and they have trees. And Egyptian mathematics is insanely hard to learn, whereas Greek mathematics is without quite so much extra work with ugly fractions.... *shudders*

Oh, and given that Egyptians had the wait three days before sending off an important person's wife or daughter to the embalmers policy and as far as I know, Greeks never had to do this, Greece pwns Egypt more.

This post has been edited by Mirithorn: 13 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#41 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:13 PM

I don't understand what you mean... Egyptian math was actually a lot harder to learn, and more accurate then the greeks system. The embalming thing was true, but why does how hot something was mean? It just means Egyptians were sturdier then Greeks. And if you bring out the Military prowess, let's just say that the Greeks were taken over by the Romans, yet the battle between the Egyptians and Romans was never settled.

#42 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

I would have preferred to live in Ancient Greece. And yeah, that's what I was complaining about, how hard Egyptian math was to learn. I find Greek to be much easier to understand, and they do better with geometry. And I didn't bring out military prowess, unless you count elephants.

#43 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

I was saying that if you thought to bring out military prowess. Also, we were seeing which one was better, not which one you would rather live in. Also, it was harder to learn because it was more accurate.

#44 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:19 PM

No, it was harder to learn because they only used unit fractions!

#45 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:21 PM

Sigh, if you wish that it was based on fractions, i can't tell you differently because obviously noone listens to me. However, Egyptians were also good at astronomy and other sciences... they also invented beer.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size