Chefelf.com Night Life: Robert Jordan? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robert Jordan? Modern Fantasy's friend... or FOE!!??

#1 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:57 PM

I know this should probably be in the book club, but I figured there would be a few people who liked Jordan on the forums. I personally think he sucks mspaint-drawn penis, but what are your thoughts?
And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man! And we want to get loaded!

#2 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

I personally don't have much of an opinion. If he gets people interested, no matter how he does it, he's good for the genre. Even the PT applies to that.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#3 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

And conversely, if he turns people off, he's bad for the genre, right? Although I think people are more likely to be interested than not, if they're actually willing to read fantasy.
And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man! And we want to get loaded!

#4 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

Yes, that is true.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#5 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

The way I see it is thusly: I enjoyed the richness of most of the WoT series and the overall plot and metaphyiscs of the universe intrigue me, but there's a line where every new sub plot you start and then forget about and bring back in for two chapters three books later starts killing babies, and he's crossed that line.

Edit: To the book club!

This post has been edited by Slade: 02 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#6 User is offline   banned Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:B Horror Movies, Distopian Literature, Cult Rituals, Puppies.

Post icon  Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

Personally, Robert Jordan, author of the Wheel of Time Series, is my favorite author so far. However, his storytelling gets repetitive and non-interesting after a while. I personally did not like the first book, though by comparison it was the only one that didn't seem as repetitive as the others. I'm not saying he's that great of an author, I'm just saying everyone else sucks a lot more then him.

This post has been edited by banned: 08 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

#7 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

Aha! Have you read the dune books Banned?

EDIT: Dune Book, because if you ask me the first one is the only one worth reading.

This post has been edited by Wayne: 10 October 2005 - 08:34 PM

#8 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

I agree.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#9 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

Did you say "Everyone sucks alot more then him?" What about Tolkien? Or Orwell? Or Huxley? Or that dude who wrote Lord of the flies?

#10 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (banned @ Oct 8 2005, 09:00 AM)
Personally, Robert Jordan, author of the Wheel of Time Series, is my favorite author so far.  However, his storytelling gets repetitive and non-interesting after a while. I personally did not like the first book, though by comparison it was the only one that didn't seem as repetitive as the others. I'm not saying he's that great of an author, I'm just saying everyone else sucks a lot more then him.

Can you tell me more about this "Wheel of Time" series? What else has RJ written?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#11 User is offline   BobEPeru Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

I've read his 11 WoT books, but I certainly wouldn't call myself a fan. I've read the last three basicly out of stubborn resolve to finish the series. He has a maddening fixation over describing the outfits of practicaly every female character that appears in any scene in great detail. A tip for those that may decide to pick this series up: when he starts detailing a womans outfit, skip down to the next paragraph. Over 11 books, and around 10,000 pages, you'll save yourself, I would estimate, between 100, and 200 pages of needless, repeditive blathering. Books 8-10 were mind-numbingly dull, (10 especially) and I was planning on quiting the series in spite of my stubborness if it didn't look like he was finally going to wrap the story upf finally in book 12.
Incidentally, I was duped into reading this series while I was bedridden in a hospital in Europe. A friend of mine had been nagging me to pick the series up, and brought the books to me when I had the option of staring at the ceiling all day, watching German game shows, or reading these books. By the end of the week, I had finished 3 and 1/2 books, and back then that was half the series, so I figured I may as well keep going.

I feel like I have to justify myself for spending so many hours on this nonsense.

#12 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

Dude, RJ wrote the Conan Chronicles. The only thing I can say about that is WTF? And yeah, pointless description of outfits, continous use of the phrase "Wool-head" or, "women are harder to understand than the sun." He needs an editor. A good one.

#13 User is offline   BobEPeru Icon

• New Cop

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:31 PM

There also seems to be a disturbing amount of "knuckling" of foreheads, and mustashes by the men, and "smoothing" of skirts by the women when they are nervous or disturbed. It seems like no one in his world has ever heard of biting nails or cracking knuckles. I swear, you can find several instances of this in each chapter of the latest book.

#14 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

I like Robert Jordan, but as everyone said, I'm still in the fourth book (on page 600 no doubt!) the thing which amazes me is his ability to write so much! Back in the old days, I used to cringe at reading any book that is longer than 300 pages, but after reading through RJ's books, 400 pages or so sounds like an 'average' novel!

I know that some of his phrases may sound weird (especially 'wool-head') and his constant and continual talk about how immature some characters are (you'd think he'd lay off what is and what is not childish for once), he's still a good author, mostly. I didn't read the last two novel yet since I haven't gotten there, but I did hear that he starts to lose his sense of story and make descriptions of everything here and there like some hack writer (and I HATE those).

Personally, I believe that he's a friend to fantasy since his writing doesn't remotely resemble the crap that other's have written in the genre in the past two decades. His most recent novels are apparently an exception to that, from what I've heard.

#15 User is offline   BobEPeru Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

The latest book (11) was actually pretty enjoyable. Most of my complaints come from being overly familiar with his style. I'm looking forward to 12, as he has promised he will be the last WoT book.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic