Chefelf.com Night Life: Women & Action Films - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Women & Action Films The New Wave?

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

Source: London Times
Nov 6 2005
John Harlow, Los Angeles

Goodbye Hollywood hunks, hello superbabes. Women action heroines are now more popular with cinema audiences than traditional granite-jawed heroes. Film studios are skipping over a generation of “sensitive” young men and turning to Oscar winners such as Catherine Zeta-Jones, Charlize Theron and Halle Berry to woo audiences back to the multiplex.
A report for Warner Bros said a female superhero will generate about 25% more in box office receipts than a man in tights. “Young men have realised they prefer to spend two hours in the dark with a wild woman than a man,” said the report.

But the rise of the cinematic superbabe is worrying campaigners for family- oriented films. “These women are both more sexually aggressive and, helped by special effects, much more rawly violent than John Wayne or Arnold Schwarzenegger used to be,” said a spokesman for Plugged In Movie Review, a syndicated conservative radio programme.

“The old-school heroes would just gun a baddie down and then make a banal quip. The women, aided by invisible wires, keep kicking you in the head until you crumple. It’s more realistic in a way and some of them are just terrifying.”

A case in point is Aeon Flux, a Japanese comic character about to be brought to athletic life by Theron. The former model describes Flux as a “strong free-thinker”. Teenage boys are more likely to be attracted by her scanty clothing and big guns.

The film, to be released in Britain in February, will be followed by a tidal wave of post-feminist fury. Milla Jovovich, the Ukrainian model, will beat up zombies in Resident Evil: Afterlife; Kate Beckinsale will hunt werewolves in Underworld: Evolution; and Berry will play Storm again in X-Men 3. All three films are expected to earn a lot of money.

All this may be bad news for Hollywood’s vintage action heroes Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis and Sylvester Stallone who are all planning to revive their muscle-bound alter-egos.

Film executives have long been fretting about a lack of young male action stars.

“Many young men think playing an Arnold-type role is silly and could not do it without a patronising smirk,” said a veteran agent. “That is why today the action women of Hollywood are glowing.”

Do you think this is valid?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

Yes and no. They do have a point, but there is usually a place for all sorts of films, always (why else would there ever be crap movies). I'll take the two Spiderman films over Catwoman (which I never even bother to see cause it looked like crap) hands down. As for this persons argument, talking about X-men 3 is pointless because there are a lot of both male and female roles. Concerning Arnold, he isn't doing much until he is no longer the gov. of California if at all.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size