Chefelf.com Night Life: Prequels ripping off scenes from the original trilogy - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Prequels ripping off scenes from the original trilogy why?

#1 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:07 PM

just saw ROTS today and this bugged me a tad.

the end scene in ROTS (i have a feeling they didn't know where to end it so they said "rip off one of the defining scenes of the original film!").

like chef-elf stated in his nitpicks, the "somehow this is familiar to me" three way character scene complete with steep fall nearby, lightening, someone in distress and the other in confusion of what to do. couldn't they have come up with something different? same goes for the emporer egging on anakin against dooku from a chair like he does in ROTJ with luke.

and also certain characters are always falling from great heights (It's like "yes we know luke falls from a great height at cloud city - now we must have every major character falling from great heights and be in similar perilous situations). it happens twice in AOTC during the chase through NYC (sorry coruscant) in that yellow sports car, and again with obi wan and yoda in ROTS, complete with anakin in that elavator shaft hanging on like luke in cloud city. even yoda escapes in bail organa's red convertible in similar style to luke in ESB. it's almost as bad as the dialogue rip offs as well. and don't get me started on AOTC's tatooine scene with anakin in luke's chair and also being told "where are you going" while he's having the same stance. it's just ridiculous.

should you draw the line somewhere?

This post has been edited by Prequel dialogue coach: 25 November 2005 - 11:23 PM

#2 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:48 AM

I think the mirroring is intentional.

#3 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

yet slightly over the top? my point is couldn't they find something a little more subtle without resorting to basically recreating the exact same scenes?

#4 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:50 AM

This isn't really a nitpick since Lucas has admitted over and over again that he's doing this on purpose. He also did it in the original trilogy (mostly with ROTJ vs. ANH, but still).

It was more like Lucas was trying to fit in as many homages to other films as well as his own, including reversals of various scenes (some of which work, others that don't).

He does have a certain habit of beating you over the head with stuff, but oh well, that's our Lucas. wink.gif

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Nov 26 2005, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the mirroring is intentional.

QUOTE (KurganX @ Nov 27 2005, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isn't really a nitpick since Lucas has admitted over and over again that he's doing this on purpose. He also did it in the original trilogy (mostly with ROTJ vs. ANH, but still).

these both remind me of the ONE scene i ever saw of Alley McBealle.

Other female single lawyer: "Ally, Why are YOUR problems always so much worse than everyone else?"
Ally McBealle: [quip mode] "Because they're mine" [Duck faced exp​ression]

just because you admit to being an asshole doesn't make it okay.

okay?

females everywhere in Sydney emulated that attitude and now they're just unbearable to be around!

i hate THAT!!!! angry.gif

This post has been edited by barend: 27 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

Well, it could have been foreshadowing... but it was written after what it foreshadows. I believe we must coin a new word today... BACKSHADOWING!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

Yes, the cynical side of us could say he's doing this on purpose in order to try to make the prequels seem better to us by copycatting the (better) OT films.

The less cynical side would take his word for it that he's repeating the same themes as part of internal continuity and metaphorical consistency, etc.

He wanted to show how, faced with the same or similar choices and situations, Vader fails to do the right thing, while Obi-Wan and Luke succeed in doing right. Reversals also keep the audience guessing (sort of like how in Raiders of the Lost Ark Indy just shoots the guy who wants to sword fight him and then in Temple of Doom (?) he goes for his gun and realizes he forgot it so the swords man is now an actual threat).

#8 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

I leave you to the master chefelf:

"The Ending
While I appreciate George Lucas' attempt at trying to rekindle the emotions felt by Star Wars fans at the end of The Empire Strikes Back I think that possibly it could have been done in a way where it wasn't just EXACTLY the same ending! Cut to guy with his arm around a girl, cut to prosthetic hand, cut to C3P0 and R2D2 making noise. It was the same damn ending. It wasn't nostalgic. It wasn't cute. It was cheap, repetitive and just plain bad. "

with the emporer, mace and anakin scene in ROTS it takes scene rip offs to a new low. seriously, there has to be a steep fall nearby. there has to be the exact same same as in ROTJ to put across different things happening. couldn't they have at least done something SLIGHTLY different?

I hated the end of ROTS, because it reeks of "how do we end it?" watch the OT and just find a scene in their somewhere.

#9 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that I shouted at the end of the TPM was repeated by Vader....
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#10 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

that "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was ridiculous.
OH NO!!!

#11 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

again, vader has to say no because luke said it in ESB. why not try something different.

#12 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

It was the way he said it that threw me off.
OH NO!!!

#13 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:36 PM

dude just incase, i wasn't talking to you. it's just that becuase luke says nooooo, george is like "okay now everyone has to say it - cue obi wan, darth vader".

#14 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

I think you're giving GL too much credit for lifting the "Noooo!!!" from ESB. If anything, the evidence points to a guy who didn't watch his own first three movies of the OT before writing the PT, and the other acts were written after each one ws done, for a rather hurried, first draft feel throughout. I just don't think the guy's that clever.

#15 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

I agree player...Lucas used the campy NOOOO because hes a wierdo...he doesnt understand dialogue...saying that Lucas lifted stuff from the OT for the PT is doing a disservice to the OT...never compare them!!!!!!!!!!! devil.gif
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size