Chefelf.com Night Life: Romances that Rival Anakin & Padme's in crapacity - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Romances that Rival Anakin & Padme's in crapacity Can you think of any?

#16 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Sep 25 2005, 12:34 AM)
Alright, fine I will admit that Titanic took a couple of forced viewings before it grew on me (same with Armegeddon).  The thing in the movie that really does it for me is when the one guy hits the propeller whilst falling (that and Leo dies at the end biggrin.gif ).

At least Titanic had a good balance, if you got bored with the tech of the ship's construction and sinking, they switched to the personal story, when you got tired of that, they went back to the disaster unfolding. A balance none of the PT films managed to achieve. And like you said, if you dislike a certain actor, you got satisfaction guaranteed with his icy death. I wish there was a director's cut of Armageddon where the likable Bruce Willis character emerges from the shuttle at the end and tells Liv Tyler Ben Aflek's character didn't make it and she doesn't miss a moment and asks the Steve Buscemi character (who also made it thanks for the Aflek character's noble sacrifice) if he was doing anything that evening.

#17 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Sep 25 2005, 10:44 AM)
That entire series of avatars is just gorgeous.

So Laughlyn takes requests?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#18 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Sep 25 2005, 09:08 PM)
So Laughlyn takes requests?

I believe there is already a queue smile.gif

#19 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

I'll have to look into changing my avatar then...

And a new one for the list, though I'm not sure if it should count or not, would be Monica Bellucci and Lambert Wilson, AKA: The Go-To-Guy for Smug, Smarmy, Effeminate French Villains, in The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.
I am the Fisher King.

#20 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:43 PM

You could even say the romance between Trinity and Neo, but it wasn't that bad. I'm unsure. wacko.gif
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#21 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Now that I think about it, a lot of romances in Hollywood films, primarily action films but not just action films, are unconvincing no matter how well the actors read their lines. Seriously, there are hundreds of romances out there were the characters involved seem to fall for each other over the course of five minutes.

I feel compelled to nominate the romances of the Highlander films, the 2nd film's "romance" in particular. I like the Highlander universe well enough, but romance isn't one of the series strong points (but I guess you don't need love when you've got decaptitations and Queen music).
I am the Fisher King.

#22 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

I've got another bad romance - the quote unquote "romance" between Tony and the Blonde waitress in American Pop. Their "romantic" interlude in a Kansas cornfield goes like this.

Tony: What is this?
The Blonde: Corn.
Tony: Corn? Corn comes in a little white box from Birdseye. Corn? Kansas is corny! Can ya eat it?
The Blonde: Yeah.
Tony: Can ya smoke it? Can ya drink it? Can ya lie in it?
The Blonde: Sure.
Tony: Then lie in it with me.
The Blonde: Are you crazy?
Tony: Yeah, I'm crazy. I'm crazy in love with your blue eyes... and your corn-silked hair. Your corn-silked hair. I'll never eat corn again without thinking' about you. Canned corn, candy corn, popcorn, Crackerjacks! You're the prize in my box! And my box is this country. It's all tinfoil on the outside. Corn and sweetness on the inside.

That's one of the worst romantic come ons I've ever heard, right up there with Anakin's "I hate sand" line in AOTC. You have to watch this particular moment in American Pop as I did to really grasp just how horrible it is.
I am the Fisher King.

#23 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Oct 17 2005, 09:24 AM)
Now that I think about it, a lot of romances in Hollywood films, primarily action films but not just action films, are unconvincing no matter how well the actors read their lines. Seriously, there are hundreds of romances out there were the characters involved seem to fall for each other over the course of five minutes.

Totally, I mean love takes time to flourish (not just being sexually attracted to one another). From what I know, even with people who fall head over heels for each other it takes some time. Maybe that's what made the OT romance of Han and Leia quite believeable. It took time, and spanned three movies.

This post has been edited by Zatoichi: 19 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#24 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Sep 24 2005, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me preface my suggestion by noting I have Not seen the film, and doubt anyone reading this Has. From Justin to Kelly.

Edit: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I take it back. FJtoK is on Abc family, and my tgif laziness after smallvillle was over, let it roll.

It's better than Clones. More enjoyable anyway. Now if I was to watch it without commercials....

#25 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

I liked the paint-by numbers nonsense of the romances in WING COMMANDER. Two pilots land on an aircraft carrier, and meet two women right away. These gals, apparently willing to date their fellow airmen, are gorgeous and don't already have boyfriends?

Countering the idea that romance in action movies is always terrible, Hicks and Ripley in ALIENS.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#26 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Sep 26 2005, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll have to look into changing my avatar then...

And a new one for the list, though I'm not sure if it should count or not, would be Monica Bellucci and Lambert Wilson, AKA: The Go-To-Guy for Smug, Smarmy, Effeminate French Villains, in The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.

Monica Bellucci please.

#27 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Jan 28 2006, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monica Bellucci please.

and speaking of monica bellucci - the romance (or whatever it was) between her and Bruce Willis in Tears of the Sun kinda sucked. Although I gotta say, its difficult to use the term sucked in anything associated with Monica Bellucci. Even The Brothers Grimm is worth watching again... or at least fastforwarding through...

On that note, I don't think its fair to compare any other movie romance to that of AOTC. IT was just so bleeding horrible that nothing else even comes close. I can't think of anything - and having read everyone elses suggestions...

You know, I really don't think AOTC gets the recognition it deserves for its 'all time rediculous romance.' There should be an award for such things.

#28 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

Countering the idea that romance in action movies is always terrible, Hicks and Ripley in ALIENS.

Hear, hear man. That was good stuff.

Straight from the directors cut (I'll never understand why they cut it in the first place):
"See you Hicks."
"Dwayne..."
Pause.
"Ellen."
"Don't be gone long, Ellen."

Absolutely beautiful.

#29 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (diligent_d @ Jan 28 2006, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hear, hear man. That was good stuff.

Straight from the directors cut (I'll never understand why they cut it in the first place):
"See you Hicks."
"Dwayne..."
Pause.
"Ellen."
"Don't be gone long, Ellen."

Absolutely beautiful.

Sigourney Weaver owns.

I might get yelled at for this, but I didn't find the romance between Christopher Reeve's Superman and Margot Kidder's Lois Lane all that convincing - and they're one of the most famed romances of pop culture.
I am the Fisher King.

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

Seemed Stilted in the first film. However, I could sense the relationship once SII was halfway over.

and they're one of the most famed romances of pop culture.

Once again, the lore of the romance was greater than what we got onscreen.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size