Chefelf.com Night Life: Straight Eye for the Queer Guy - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Straight Eye for the Queer Guy Tuesday, November 11, 2003

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:20 AM

Straight Eye for the Queer Guy

IT was bound to happen. On the heels of the success of Bravo's reality makeover smash "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" comes "Straight Eye for the Queer Guy," a one-shot spinoff that flips the formula, letting five strapping straight men make over a gay guy, reports Variety.

The five connoisseurs on all things straight haven't yet been cast, but possible tutorials include Power Tools 101, NFL basics, decorating your garage, two-minute hair and sports event etiquette.
No word on whether the original Fab 5 - Carson Kressley, Jai Rodriguez, Kyan Douglas, Ted Allen and Thom Filicia - will appear.

No target air date has been set, but a Bravo spokesman said the special will air sometime next year.

http://www.heraldsun...55E2902,00.html

I hate this planet. This is why the Earth is like a prison to me.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:21 AM

*hypnotic tone* Those shows aren't so bad....
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:43 AM

I don't think Queer Eye For the Straight Guy is that bad. However everyone else on planet Earth talks about it like it's the second coming of Jesus Christ! It's like every girlfriend's wet dream to have their boyfriend on that show. It's just kinda a boring show.

And Food Gay isn't as much of a culinary expert as he'd like to think he is. He is, however, the coolest.

I DO think that Straight Eye For The Queer Guy is really genuinely a lame and terrible idea and I will defend that to my last breath.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 11 2003, 10:43 AM)
I don't think Queer Eye For the Straight Guy It's like every girlfriend's wet dream to have their boyfriend on that show. It's just kinda a boring show.

There's something wrong with me then... blink.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:34 AM

I think reality TV in general should be melted into a big pot, used to form a large axe, and then used to brutally murder whomever came up with such a ridiculous idea. Although "Monster Garage" is okay...actually I love Monster Garage, so I guess I shouldn't talk...

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:39 AM

Chef,

I like the way QUEER EYE works to dispel the usual stereotypes, how it doesn't just say that gay peple have culture sense and straight guys all just like to sit around and watch tv. Oh wait, it doesn't do that at all; it reinforces that nonsense. Hmm. And all the guys mince about all the time, often dressing like fools and fake flirting with everyone. Oh well, I guess this parody show will take the shine off that, pointing out that even gay guys can be fashion and pop-culture victims, that perhaps there's something a little embarrassing about Liza Minelli, CABARET be damned. Oh wait; no. The article implies that the "parody" show will just do the exaxct same thing as the show itself.

Curses.

(Jesus, that first paragraph reads terrible. If only there were some way to delete it! I'm just not so good with the sarcasm.) Anyway, I agree that QUEER EYE is the dumbest idea for a show ever. There are some fantastic cooking shows; Nigella Lawson's and Jamie Oliver's are among the best (we'll see about Jamie's foray into reality television, JAMIE'S KITCHEN, but so far, so good). The British CHANGING ROOMS and DEBBIE TRAVIS' MAKEOVER, as well as Canada's DESIGNER GUYS and DEVINE DESIGN are really good and often helpful. WHAT NOT TO WEAR is a genuine makeover show, even if its hosts are often too urban for their own good (the hostess always wants the women to show more cleavage, even on dresses they plan to wear to church). So QUEER EYE seems to me to fill no programming niche (at least not in Canada), and yet it is popular because of its gimmick. And the advice the guys give is often hard to defend. They just don't so much seem like pros to me. It's like the producers cast for "gay and kitschy" first, talent second.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 11 November 2003 - 01:37 PM

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Will & Grace are totally the Amos & Andy of the 2000's.

#8 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 01:51 PM

I have to say I don't watch T.V. all that often, as my dorm room doesn't contain one, but from what I gather, these ideas are begining to get on my nerves. As mentioned some ways above, these programs are not only reinforcing stereotypes, but creating new ones as well as dissolving any individualism in our culture. I mean, now there will be two kinds of guys, straight and gay/metrosexual. If you are straight you like football and power-tools and if you are gay/metrosexual you are all fashion concious. !@#$ this! I don't fall into either category (I'm straight but not all tough and football-y or a big fashion guy). So I no longer exist in the public eye.

Not that I really want the public to look at me in the first place, but it's a little bit of a downer to be excommunicated like that before I get the chance to desert on my own free will.

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:01 PM

I don't like football at all.

I watch hockey.

I drink beer.

I have an herb garden.

I drink herbal tea.

I am an excellent cook.

I'm good with electronics.

WHO AM I?!??!?! OH, NETWORK TV, WILL YOU HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHO TO HAVE SEX WITH? PLEASE?!?!

#10 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:25 PM

Results:

Barbara Walters from the View.

PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#11 User is offline   spastichero Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:People who I wish I didn't love as much as I do and therefore despair over forever because my heart is black and locked up tight, feel the pain pain P4INz0r!, being a spaz, and playing cliche bluegrass music on my pianolinman and bodhran

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:25 PM

All I'm waiting for is "Straight/Queer Eye for the Queer/Straight Gal," but lesbians aren't half as funny as gay men.

#12 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:58 PM

I'm just finding that with all the reality TV shows on TV now I'm beginning to get lost in my real world.

I wonder to myself why I don't have some sort of physical challenge in order to get into my office block - the guys on Survivor do! Or why I don't gt the option to vote the loud mouthed prat that sits a few desks away from me out of the office - the guys on Big Brother do! Or why someone doesn't offer me 1 million dollars to mince around on TV for a few weeks while dozens of women try to win my affections because they really like me for who I am and don't really want my money - the guy on Joe Millionaire does!

WHERE IS THE REALITY IN MY LIFE!!!!!
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:01 PM

Just dig a hole around your house or apartment, fill it with muddy water and hire a retired drill sergeant to live with you and yell at you a lot. It doesn't get any more real than that.

#14 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:05 PM

But are they going to give me 1 million dollars if I do it for 14 weeks?????
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#15 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:20 PM

Who was it that said that real reality televison would be a bunch of people watching themselves watch t.v.?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size