Chefelf.com Night Life: The best strategy game for pc - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

The best strategy game for pc choose your favourite strategy game

Poll: Which is the best strategy game for pc?

Which is the best strategy game for pc?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Heccubus has more comics at Bacon Spoon. The link is in his sig...
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#32 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:22 AM

Bacon spoon contains the webcomics by most of the Nightlifers (Al Creed, Chyld, Shawnathan, Icey). I think there's a sign-up thread buried in the lobby somewhere.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#33 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

I vote for Age of Kings. Age of Mythology was just plain inferior. I don't like Total Anihilation, though I have no idea why. Just never liked it. Haven't played the Orion games.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to general dislike of the topic, anymore mention of mountain dew will be removed. Personally, I think mountain dew is the greatest cool drink(or soda, to those crazy foreign people), but it does not have a personality, and shall not be refered to as such.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#34 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:20 AM

And besides, its upsetting Sprite.

er... CIV

#35 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

There was a distinct lack of StarCraft voting here.

Ahem:

<Idiotguy69>:"OMFG zerg rush!!!!11111"
<PwnzorsSause>:"Wtf?!!"
<XxRetardedB.netDenzianxX>:"h4x!!!"

That reaction is priceless. biggrin.gif
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#36 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:24 PM

Yes, but for all Starcraft is fun, the zerg rush does not compare to the hundred-bomber raid. Also - airlifting enemy commanders.
Though glory and aprobation to the Templar and Dark Templar. Man those guys rocked.

But Brood War really underpowered the Zerg - the Devourer and Lurker are cool, but Medics and Dark Archons were just too effective. Also, the standstill fighting is inferior to the moving fighting in TA.

#37 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:46 PM

On the flip side TA has irritating AI that uses indirect fire weapons far too well. There's nothing more annoying than having your heavy plasma implacement killed by a bunch of AA robots that keep moving out of sight range.

The moving, turning circles and firing is hell annoying when you're trying to out range something.

And a large proportion of TA's units are ultimately useless.

But at least it's not as bad as TA kingdoms.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#38 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

A large number of the units are useless - the torpedo bomber, the crawling bomb, the artillery Kbot etc. But so many of them are useful - and the fact that you have to micromanage and still maintain overall tactics makes it more challenging and fun. Personally I think there is an imbalance favouring air power once you get an airforce going - once you get fifty heavy bombers or stealth fighters you win the game, but I like it. TA Kingdoms was a potentially good game - but the tactical element is much lower, the single resource system is unrealistically simple, the AI isn't particularly challenging, the units are easily confused when ordered to do elaborate moves, the mage units are overrated and are all alike, the balance is crap - Taros and Aramon overpower Veruna and Zhon, which is annoying because Zhon were the most interesting to play, the campaign is unsatisfying and seems poorly written and the dragons just turn into invincible destruction machines.

But at the end of the day, I think TA is the most tactically engaging RTS.
TA kingdoms was a failed clone/transcript that oversimplified it and stamped on a name that didn't really belong.

#39 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

AGE OF EMPIRES is alot of fun...

and if you cheat, it's even better.

i biult a fortress that covered a third of the map. the wall was made of castles with archery and cannon towers between every second one.

it was just awsom to see...

but starcraft has cooler stuff and great cutscenes...

#40 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

oh... while we're talking about it...

one thing i hate about these games though is the fact that you have to keep searchibng the map for your dudes to tell them what to do, and tell ech facility to research this and that, while the computer controlls all it's units and institutes simultaniously...

#41 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, it sort of is unfair, but I just keep it on the easier levels when I play RTSs. It's been sorted out lately by making resources that never deplete, and some games even have technologies that aren't in buildings, but in a seperate window. You score points somehow (I don't remember), and those opints add up, then you buy tech with them. Those two help to make the gaming smoother for you (but still not very fun...).
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#42 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:40 PM

Yeah, Age Of Empires is really funny. Me and my friends normally go to a friend's house and then we connect our laptops to playe age of empires, counter-strike-half-life 2, etc.

Age Of Empires is cool! I have played the demo of the next one and it looks great!

This post has been edited by SithAvenger: 29 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#43 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:09 PM

yeah, it is a gip what they computer does, but they also tend to build their buildings in an almost random fashion. I usually do it so that the greatest amount of biuldings fits on one screen and still allows for troop movement. Most of my defensive structures form an outer ring of sorts.

When playing as the Protoss on Starcaft, my favorite thing is building up the carrier ships with all of the little fighters. With the right upgrades those things pack a humongous punch.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#44 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:15 PM

It depends on what kind of units are in play for the building strategy. If your enemy has heavy area-of-efect units out, then you want your buildings more spaced out.

I always leave some room between my buildings if I can.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#45 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Sep 29 2005, 11:09 PM)
yeah, it is a gip what they computer does, but they also tend to build their buildings in an almost random fashion.  I usually do it so that the greatest amount of biuldings fits on one screen and still allows for troop movement.  Most of my defensive structures form an outer ring of sorts.

When playing as the Protoss on Starcaft, my favorite thing is building up the carrier ships with all of the little fighters.  With the right upgrades those things pack a humongous punch.

that's really the only benafite of being human in that situation... you have creative planning on your side.

that, and cheats...

and yeah, protos carriers rock.!! i use them as guards.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size