• (4 Pages)
  • +

Live Concerts Rate the artists

#31 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:10 AM

I would have liked to see Nine Inch Nails, but sadly they didn't come to this side of the country. A friend of mine flew to Melbourne or Sydney or something to watch them. Lucky.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#32 User is offline   Coco Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

This weekend Pearl Jam played here. I went both nights. Man, what a show.

Every time an artist or a band comes down here, they are always surprised to see how the audience responds to the show. It would be great if they took that into account and start coming more often...

#33 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:58 AM

This Sunday, I'll be going to see Caribou play downtown. Opening acts are Holy Fuck (who have my vote for the best band name ever), and Winter Equinox. So it should be a fun night of instrumental pseudo-electronic....stuff.

#34 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

Holy Fuck? ROFL.

I could have seen 50 cent but I passed. I heard from a guy in my class, that 50 forgot one of his lines in the middle of a song. SO he yelled out "cut the track dog".

He then got the camera man to focus in on this girl, in the front row, with really big boobes. He got her picture up on the big screen so every one could see it. "How can I remember my lines with these titties looking at me".

What a lame excuse! I asked if people boobed him, and nada.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 19 December 2005 - 03:32 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#35 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

Well, its not like Mr Cent has anything in the ballpark of talent, integrity, or that other one, really.

Saw Arch Enemy with Strapping Young Lad on Thursday, and OMFG, enough said.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#36 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

Yo, I'm chillin with my homies and I'm actin real cool,
Eatin lots of pasta while I'm sittin by the pool.
Somebody drop a beat!
And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man! And we want to get loaded!

#37 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:08 AM

Well, summers coming, so its time to play Kicky Uppy Thready!

Last summer, it was System of a Down. This summer, provided we can organise anything more complicated than a piss-up, my uni crew are hitting the Download Festival in Donnington. Quite frankly, I'm looking for reasons not to go!

Well, apart from having no money and not having a job, but lets not quibble here.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#38 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

Saw Coheed and Cambria the other day. It was pretty good, but I was a little focused on not getting crushed in the crowd, and I didn't pay enough attention to the show sad.gif

It was pretty good, though.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#39 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

Oooooooh! I saw the Bad Plus a month ago, that was just insane and amazing. First time I ever laughed out loud to music. There was just this super energy out there, they were giving it their all and the audience loved every single moment. Anthem for the Eager. Best concert song ever.

#40 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:24 AM

I got to see Canadian power-pop legends The Killjoys perform last night for their first reunion show, and it couldn't have been better. Well, it could've been a longer set, but it was still amazing. I was lucky enough to get some CDs signed and chat with the band a bit.

#41 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Nov 3 2005, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The violin is a gimmick. It's a shame that no one has picked up on that. Take that out, and they sound exactly the same as every other whiny pop punk band out there.

I completely agree. It's a shame there aren't too many decent bands with a violin player.

By the way, Heccubus, I dig your Strong Bad avatar.

#42 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Dec 7 2005, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This Sunday, I'll be going to see Caribou play downtown. Opening acts are Holy Fuck (who have my vote for the best band name ever),

they could open for australian band 'the fuck fucks'

#43 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Nov 14 2005, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have liked to see Nine Inch Nails, but sadly they didn't come to this side of the country. A friend of mine flew to Melbourne or Sydney or something to watch them. Lucky.

a (female) friend of mine pretty much followed them to every gig...

which is both excesive and expensive....

#44 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:16 AM

Saw the Racontuers last month, Quality live gig. Played a Nancy Sinatra Cover, Bang Bang. Not bad.

Jack White has great stage presence, to make up for the lack of it coming out of the greenhornes. I was suprised at how little Jack actually sang. Some other dude, Brian somthing did most of it.

October 15-----------------> KASABIAN! Can't wait. They're playing at the commodore, which is imo the best place to play at in Vancouver.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#45 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

I saw Paul Simon the other night. Great show, even if I was among the youngest there. A monority actually got out of their cushioned Orpheum seats (non-locals think a neo-classic 1920s opera house) and watched the show from a few feet from the stage. There, the crush of the small crowd dancing to traditional faves such as "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" intensified, somewhat, an otherwise rather mellow night. Paul doesn't have his old voice anymore, such as it was, but all the same he still braved an acoustic solo performance of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and managed it quite well. The show was too short at a mere two hours, and many favorites were left out, and you could tell he knew that, as Paul apologetically shook the hands of the front-row standees (that's right; I shook Paul Simon's hand), and walked off after a third encore to an all-standing, long-cheering crowd.

I also saw the Charlatans UK a few months back, at the Commodore (non-locals think a 1930s dance hall) and that was awesome.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size