Chefelf.com Night Life: Atkins diet founder was obese - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Atkins diet founder was obese Friday, February 13, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:35 AM

Atkins diet founder was obese

Dr Robert Atkins, who pioneered the low-carbohydrate diet that bears his name, was clinically obese when he died, according to a pathology report.

Dr Atkins weighed more than 18st when he died after a fall on an icy footpath in New York last April.

The post-mortem report was revealed in the Wall Street Journal, which received it from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which opposes the Atkins Diet.

The report also revealed that Dr Atkins, who died after suffering head injuries aged 72, had a history of heart trouble, congestive heart failure and hypertension.

Dr Atkins suffered a heart attack in 2002 but was revived.

http://www.ananova.c.../sm_864685.html

C'mon! How could something called "the bacon lover's diet" lead to obesity or heart disease? Next thing you know the founder of the "sugar lover's diet" is going to get diabetes and the lover of the "standing in front of a bus lover's diet" is going to get hit by a bus!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:41 PM

But... the FDA hasn't issued any warnings about standing in front of busses! Nor has it said anything about cholest-- wait, I should probably research that.

#3 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:02 AM

What about the Bread Couch diet?

#4 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:29 AM

Fucking hacks, I hate smear campaigns. Especially when the poor bastard is dead.

"This just in!! Creator of gillette shaving products was unable to grow facial hair"
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#5 Guest_sam_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:17 PM

i really don't see how anyone could live without carbs- i NEED to eat them- lots of them, otherwise i think i'd starve to death (or pass out)...but that might just be my high metabolism speaking...well, the tape worms might have something to do with it too...

#6 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:44 PM

I just figured I should chime in.. I've been on the atkins diet for a few months.. have lost 25 lbs or so.. and am slowly trying to get off of it so I don't totaly load up on carbs and gain it all back.

It does work, but for the first few days you are nothing but hungry.

anyway.. your results may vary or something like that

#7 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:28 PM

My impression of Steve on the Atkins diet:

"Man, I've lost 25 punds. Boy am I tired. I'm so tired"

Go Sam! Carbs rule!

#8 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:43 AM

I heard that the Atkins diet is the only weight loss regime that is proven to work.

I'm only 170 lbs 6'0 so I don't gotta worry about losing weight. smile.gif
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#9 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 15 February 2004 - 11:32 AM

My impersionation of me not on the diet "Man I'm so tired.. so tired" heheh I'm always tired smile.gif

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Feb 15 2004, 01:43 AM)
I heard that the Atkins diet is the only weight loss regime that is proven to work.

I'm only 170 lbs 6'0 so I don't gotta worry about losing weight. smile.gif

Wired magazine recenty ran an article highlighting 10 or 12 of the most popular diets based on average weight loss, nutritional safety and overall effectiveness. Atkins came in dead last.

As someone with a background in the culinary arts and nutrition I can't say I agree with all the hype surrounding the Atkins diet. If you do it an it works for you then more power to you but depriving the body of its natural energy source--complex sugars--doesn't really sit too well with me.

There are a lot of healthier ways to shed pounds and diet is (though this is usually always glossed over) only half of the battle.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:55 PM

the atkins diet, musch like speed and other anphetamines, is a good jump start to weight loss, but not a healthy life style. the atkins diet is sooo very unhealthy for you and can lead to severe heart damage, speed rots your teeth and leads to heart conditions aswell.

i'm affraid the only real answer is lots of greens, and lots of exercise, It's hard at first but it speeds up your metrabolism, so your body proccesses fat faster.

also, alcohol slows your bodys' fat proccessing abilities to 30%.

so bite the bullet that bit me, and take up something healthy like kung-fu, or just start walking everywhere, leave earlier for work/school.

I'm sorry, but that's the answer if you want to survive weight loss and keep it off.
don't listen, to annyone trying to sell you anything. and don't loose it too fast or you'll get stretch marks!!!!!!!!!!

#12 User is offline   tanzanianchimp Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 16 February 2004 - 04:54 PM

i heard atkins starves your brain so much of glucose, which is needed for ATP(sorry for throwin in the nerdiness), that you pretty much become like youre on drugs and your cells kinda self destruct. and that the weight comes back in a flash in a half. barfy. who wants that when the alternative is PASTA?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size