Youth Lit'rature nostalgia is so in right now

#16 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Aug 25 2005, 02:49 AM)
i have alot of the disc world books but i've not read them yet...

will i like them at 29?

Hell yeah! They're like spoofs of the fantasy genre. Cowardly/lazy wizards, gender-confused dwarves, and trolls working as doormen at the local inn. But they also contain numerous parodies of modern culture and famous periods/events in history which I would expect you to pick up on. I'd definitely recommend you give them a try.

Oh, and there's a Librarian who's an ape.

#17 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Aug 24 2005, 09:49 PM)
will i like them at 29?

That's a good question. I think I read my last one when I was about 16 or 17 so I can't really answer it for you. But I was in LOVE with them in high school. I left them all at my parents' house before I moved to NYC but I really should pick some up next time I'm at home. I'd like to read them again and see how they hold up. It seems like they'd hold up fairly well. Lots of really great characters.

WalkingCarpet, I totally forgot about the librarian! Friggin' awesome.

How are the newer ones? I've read the first 13 I believe (up until Lords & Ladies I think. I seem to remember liking that one.)
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#18 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:44 AM

I highly recommend Night Watch. Its one of the most recent ones (I think its number 26 or 27 in the series) but in my opinion its one of the best.

Was going to attempt a synopsis but its probably easier for me to point you here.....

Night Watch

#19 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:03 PM

Going postal was really good, too. I'm not actually completely sure what order they go in, though. One thing I've noticed about the Discworld books is that people either love them and become addicted to them or don't understand them at all. I lent all of my books to my parents, who just didn't think they were funny. I gave a friend five for her birthday, she lent one to her mother, and now her mother is trying to get her hands on as many as she can find. The same friend's father is completely uninterested. Hmm.

So you may or may not like them.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#20 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:10 PM

My father thinks the books are boring, but then, he doesn't read anything but spy novels. But yeah, if you don't like fantasy, you're screwed.

By the way, how do you edit posts so that people won't get annoyed at me for replying to my own posts?

Edit: I just found the edit button. Sorry. Is there any way to delet posts? whistling.gif

This post has been edited by Mirithorn: 08 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#21 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

Chronicles of Narnia
wayside stories
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic