Chefelf.com Night Life: Revenge of the Sith: The Console Game: Your Review - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Revenge of the Sith: The Console Game: Your Review Let me know what you thought of the game

#1 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:02 AM

Okay, honestly now, since the ROTS hype has died down some.. was this much ballyhood Revenge of the Sith liscensed game for Xbox and PS2 really all that?

Was it akin to "Enter the Matrix" for the Matrix sequels?

Give me your reviews, explain what you liked or didn't like, it's features, strong points, spoilers, whatnot.

I'm curious since I don't have either system but I wondered if it was worth renting some day or I'm not missing anything (I'm a big Jedi Academy and JK series in general fan).

Thanks guys! And no cheating by linking to magazine/site reviews, those guys were obviously bought off by the ROTS hype machine ™. wink.gif And no just saying "it sucks" either... tell me why it sucked or didn't suck. wink.gif

This post has been edited by KurganX: 20 August 2005 - 05:02 AM

#2 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:04 AM

Okay, I'll paste in some replies from that other topic to get us started:

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Aug 3 2005, 08:29 AM)
It sucks so bad it's unbelievable.  I can't believe how it got such good reviews.  There's no camera control... you're often running towards the screen, getting shot at by droids you can't see.  Not that it matters since you're an all-powerful Jedi anyway and can just deflect their laser fire.

I only played the first stage but it was utterly dreadful.  It takes great liberties with the elevator sequence which was already like a video game in the movie.  It's even more absurd with flying droids, etc.

I was going to write a full review but after playing it for 20 minutes I doubted I could stand to play the whole game.  Maybe I'll do it later.  It won't be as timely but I don't have the patience for a game that shitty right now.

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Aug 3 2005, 09:42 AM)
Am I wrong?  Is it not the most dreadful game?  Even the graphics aren't really that great.  Play control is terrible.  And camera angles.  C'MON!  No third person 3D game in this day and age should be without camera control.  It's the most frustrating thing in the world.

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Aug 3 2005, 08:43 AM)
And only 4 co-op levels.  Pfft.

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Aug 3 2005, 09:50 AM)
If they were trying to make the game an accurate reflection of the film then I think they got it spot on - it seems to be just as flawed. 

You are right about the camera angles.  First time I played it I think I got killed a few times, simply because I was trying to find the button that centred the camera behind my character.  I probably ended up force-choking myself.

And how they managed to find a voice actor worse than Hayden Christian for Anakin I'll never know.

QUOTE (Jordan @ Aug 3 2005, 01:31 PM)
Rotten Tomatoes gave it like 20%.  So you're not alone.  Who gave it a good review?

QUOTE (Darth Monkey Rancher @ Aug 3 2005, 10:47 AM)
I though the same thing, the game really sucked. It really felt slapped together and lacked any depth that is not only standard but mandatory in this style of game. I couldn't figure out why this got average to good reviews until i remembered that no one is willing to make a bad review on a video game that is backed by a major company like Lucas Arts. if they give a bad review it just means they don't get advanced copys, "exclusive" interviews, or other goodies from the company for future releases. The game reviewers like everything is controlled by money.
For more on my thoughts please send a check payable to "Monkey Rancher Inc." anywhere USA.

People bash LucasArts games all the time. Episode I: Obi-Wan got universally bad reviews, as did Jedi Power Battles (both versions). There have been a lot of mediocre Star Wars Games. I figured either ROTS game was either really good, or it was really hyped well. I review games and I get most LucasArts games for free in fact, but I call 'em as I see 'em. True, I don't get paid, but I get free games, so according to that logic I should be "biased" and give only glowing support for their games. wink.gif While it's true some magazines may fear losing money from advertisers, I think it isn't a universal thing across the board or else they wouldn't bash these obviously bad games.

Anyway, please post! wink.gif

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:45 AM

Well most people have sounded off about it here: http://www.chefelf.c...?showtopic=4066

But since this is dedicated to that game I'll just move it along to the SW EU Forum. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:12 PM

The game stunk, like rotten cheese. Which I'm told stinks.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#5 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:28 AM

Pity. I was kind of hoping for a kind of "people's review" of the game. I guess I'll have to be satisifed with the posts I quoted above.

Thanks anyway guys!

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:19 AM

The people say it sucked.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

That much is obvious. ChefElf made his judgement after 20 minutes of gameplay. I don't know how much the other people suffered through, but still.

I was asking for reviews, not a thumbs up or thumbs down. I want to know WHY they liked or disliked it, since obviously people have different criteria for why a thing is good or bad.

I was hoping to cut through some of the hype associated with Episode III (Ie: people hating it just because they hated Episode III or liking it just because they liked Episode III, etc).

Again, I'll just have to be satisifed with these tidbits...

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

Why did I dislike it?

1.) Terribly crafted recreations of the movie that bare little or no resemblance to the actual scenes of the movie.

2.) Stiff wooden gameplay in the most linear possible way.

3.) Terrible play control. Lack of any innovative battle system.

4.) Lack of camera control. Often walking towards the screen, unable to see enemies as they approach you.

5.) Repetitive battle against unchallenging foes.

That's all I got from the first 20 mintues. I'm sure I could come up with plenty more if I could bare to play it any longer. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

You also get Jedi duels that range from hold this button to win and bloody nigh impossible to win. With like, nothing in between.

#10 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

I have actually played it through to the end and unlocked the Ben Kenobi / Darth Vader duel characters, along with the Death Star duel arena.

I only mention it because there is a contender for most pointless Beat Em Up move ever. It's called "Jedi Submission" or something like that, which actually recreates Ben's surrender to Vader from ANH. Your energy bar decreases to the point that just a wiff of your opponents bad breath will kill you.

Short of a self-pleasuring fanboy need to actually play out the scene from the film yourself I fail to see who would ever want to do that!

#11 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Aug 24 2005, 10:53 AM)
Why did I dislike it?

1.) Terribly crafted recreations of the movie that bare little or no resemblance to the actual scenes of the movie.

2.) Stiff wooden gameplay in the most linear possible way.

3.) Terrible play control.  Lack of any innovative battle system.

4.) Lack of camera control.  Often walking towards the screen, unable to see enemies as they approach you.

5.) Repetitive battle against unchallenging foes.

That's all I got from the first 20 mintues.  I'm sure I could come up with plenty more if I could bare to play it any longer.  smile.gif

90 reasons to Hate the Revenge of the Sith video game? Anyone?

#12 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Aug 24 2005, 02:48 PM)
I have actually played it through to the end and unlocked the Ben Kenobi / Darth Vader duel characters, along with the Death Star duel arena.

I only mention it because there is a contender for most pointless Beat Em Up move ever.  It's called "Jedi Submission" or something like that, which actually recreates Ben's surrender to Vader from ANH.  Your energy bar decreases to the point that just a wiff of your opponents bad breath will kill you.

Short of a self-pleasuring fanboy need to actually play out the scene from the film yourself I fail to see who would ever want to do that!

Interestingly enough, one of the great Sword fighting video games of all time, Bushido Blade 2 on the PSX (and possibly BB1 before it) had a "surrender" button. It made you crouch down on your knees, and then all the other person could do during a cutscene was slice your throat. Just for "shits 'n' giggles" I guess.

wink.gif

Sounds like this game was all hype after all.

#13 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

if you want a good prequel game try star wars lego[/offtopic]

#14 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

Try Roller Coaster Tycoon.

That game will rock your shorts off.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#15 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

I played the LEGO Star Wars demo. Not too bad, but it reminded me a ton of the (mediocre) Episode I Phantom Menace PC game. With two player it might be fun, but I just don't have a sparring partner to sit at my PC with me to play, so nevermind.

I played "The Sims" with at Star Wars themed family. A bunch of stormtroopers (with different heads) and their maid (Mara Jade). Also made a family made up of villians (Freddy Kruger, Wicked Witch of the West, Spawn, Darth Maul, Darth Vader... and Jar Jar Binks). Jar Jar broke the expresso maker, so I made him fix it, and then drink six or seven cups of expresso until he pissed his pants. Then made him mop it up. wink.gif

Freddy got depressed, even after I gave him a cake with a dancer who jumped out of it. Oh well! I made them all super lazy too and gave them a giant house full of amusements (full video arcade and party room). The Stormtrooper family I parked next door at some medieval looking house.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size