Chefelf.com Night Life: Ian McDiarmid tastefully dissing Clive Revill - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Ian McDiarmid tastefully dissing Clive Revill A new reason to hate McDiarmid

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

"George felt that it was just and proper. When he made Empire, we hadn't met, and he didn't have a particular idea of who would play the Emperor or how the character would develop. And he had no notion that he would do the back-story - Episodes I, II, and III. So whoever played the Emperor in a mask and added to Revill's voice wouldn't seem authentic to the people who are going to watch the entire saga in the right order. It wouldn't make any sense. Since I was the Emperor [in the other Star Wars films], it felt appropriate that I should be inserted into Empire, and that's what George did." (on digitally replacing Clive Revill in the DVD release of The Empire Strikes Back) - Ian McDiarmid

Reading a quote like that makes me want to punch the smarmy bastard in the face (fortunately for him, he's safely over a thousand miles away).
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

at what point did he dis clive? seems to me he's being more apologetic than anything. there was nothing wrong with clive's performance; its just inconsitent (and very, very unnussual) for a different actor to play an important character in one scene out of a six part saga.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

It's also inconsistent and unusual Not to lay out the groundwork of a six-part saga Ahead of time.

#4 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

Oooh, BURN!! Nice one Despondent!
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#5 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Aug 11 2005, 12:15 PM)
It's also inconsistent and unusual Not to lay out the groundwork of a six-part saga Ahead of time.

well, if that were the case, it would be inconsitent. but is it really unusual? how many six-part sagas are there?

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

Let's see. There was a 12-movie series, a nine-movie series, and Lucas settled for six. for now.
You're right, Xenduck. Lucas planned ALL of them without speculating content or plot.

edit: thanks Dottie.

This post has been edited by Despondent: 11 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

#7 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

High five! *holds hand up, waits...waits...waits...*

Edit: thought I would add some content, you know, just 'cause. As an aspiring writer myself, I can't see how someone could NOT plan things out. How could someone not value his characters that much. I dunno.

This post has been edited by Dorothy: 11 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#8 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

ok ok, all other points aside, i still dont see how ian insulted anybody.

but out of curiosity, what series are you refering to, D? star trek, james bond? cause those are REALLY well planned out.

and for the record, im not suggesting every detail was planned out before hand, only that lucas had some idea of the backstory and that the movies are, in fact, consistent-but thats a debate for elsewhere.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

High five, Dottie.

QUOTE (xenduck @ Aug 11 2005, 03:22 PM)
but out of curiosity, what series are you refering to, D? star trek, james bond? cause those are REALLY well planned out.

Pop fly. Anyone?

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Aug 11 2005, 04:11 PM)
Pop fly. Anyone?

laugh.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#11 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

I wouldn't call what he said exactly an insult. It was an inconsistency that should be cleared up, but changing the dialogue went too far. Also, in the original version of that scene, you couldn't really see the emperor's face. I thought that that little detail made the emperor more mysterious and at the same time more evil. Evil characters sometimes like to disguise or somewhat hide their appearance.

This post has been edited by Zatoichi: 12 August 2005 - 09:46 AM

Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#12 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Aug 12 2005, 07:42 AM)
I wouldn't call what he said exactly an insult.  It was an inconsistency that should be cleared up, but changing the dialogue went too far. Also, in the original version of that scene, you couldn't really see the emperor's face.  I thought that that little detail made the emperor more mysterious and at the same time more evil.  Evil characters sometimes like to disguise or somewhat hide their appearance.

What can I say, I'm annoyed at what feels like blatant disrespect for Revill's contribution to ESB.
I am the Fisher King.

#13 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, it is kinda crap that they don't give credit where credit is due. As a matter of fact I wonder how different the two versions of the scene actually are (Besides the dialogue of course).
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#14 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Aug 12 2005, 08:59 AM)
Yeah, it is kinda crap that they don't give credit where credit is due.  As a matter of fact I wonder how different the two versions of the scene actually are (Besides the dialogue of course).

Aside from not seeing most of the Emperor's face in the original Clive Revill version, Revill's voice is steady, calm, collected and suggests intelligence and dignity. With McDiarmid, it's more of the miscalculated Monty Burns stuff; plus he's all blue and his eyes grow red for no apparent reason.
I am the Fisher King.

#15 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:55 AM

As far as disses go, that *was* pretty tasteful. In fact, I'd say that's not even a diss at all. *Incredibly* tasteful!

This is an insignificant argument.

This post has been edited by DarthTherion: 13 August 2005 - 12:56 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size