Chefelf.com Night Life: The "What Do You Expect" Problem - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

The "What Do You Expect" Problem PT destroys rep of Star Wars legend

#1 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

I was talking to a friend who is not a star wars "purist" like me. She said that she loved ROTS. I got a little frustrated because I thought the film was garbage. So, I started complaining about the wooden acting, the irrational use of CGI (the Mustafar battle esp), and the continuity errors. Do you know what her reply was?

"I wasnt expecting much from a Star Wars movie." Is that the last line of defense for the new generation of SW? We wont give you a coherent story but we will give you lots of fun creatures and planets. We wont give you an epic battle of good and evil, but we will give you muddled story lines about a trade federation and good guy-turned bad clones and Jedi. I cant believe that a Star Wars movie can have the same defense as a movie like the "Chronicles of Riddick." I am pissed, no more excuses Lucas just make a friggin good movie if your such a big shot director. You shouldnt be on par with the guy who wrote "Over the Top"
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:24 AM

It was better than the first two

#3 User is offline   Deleted Scene Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo)
Do you know what her reply was?

"I wasnt expecting much from a Star Wars movie." Is that the last line of defense for the new generation of SW?

Sadly, yes and as far as I'm concerned, that's the worst offense committed by the PT's - they lowered standards for what and how a SW film should be. As bad as the acting, the overuse of CGI and the destruction of OT characters was, the PT's have legitimized people dismissing SW with, "It's Star Wars. You shouldn't expect anything." The series is now regarded as campy, brain-dead fun for audiences alongside movies like xXx and Harry Potter. I've always argued that while the OT's were not classic literature, you weren't required to check your brain at the door to enjoy them.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

If my generation didn't place so much importance in the original films perhaps it wouldn't matter. It was just such a damn important part of my childhood. I don't think Lucas truly has any idea how much these movies mean to people.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

At least we got to see how that lovable little boy on Tattooine gradually began to turn into what would be Darth Vader. That selfless, full of wonder little boy, slowly but surely turning into one of the biggest villians in movie history. That little, innocent boy who warns all ofus born without a father who have to leave home and begin our epic quests at the age of eight and get seduced by a 14 year old elected Queen what perils could befall us. High midiclorian count surging through our bloodstreams notwithstanding. the PT was an overdue "Scared Straight" for myself and many of my generation. SE7EN wasn't a bad movie either........

#6 User is offline   Darth Borba Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Aug 7 2005, 06:59 PM)
At least we got to see how that lovable little boy on Tattooine gradually began to turn into what would be Darth Vader. That selfless, full of wonder little boy, slowly but surely turning into one of the biggest villians in movie history. That little, innocent boy who warns all ofus born without a father who have to leave home and begin our epic quests at the age of eight and get seduced by a 14 year old elected Queen what perils could befall us. High midiclorian count surging through our bloodstreams notwithstanding. the PT was an overdue "Scared Straight" for myself and many of my generation. SE7EN wasn't a bad movie either........

YIPEE
crying.gif

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size