Chefelf.com Night Life: Meat being murder - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Meat being murder

#1 User is offline   spastichero Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:People who I wish I didn't love as much as I do and therefore despair over forever because my heart is black and locked up tight, feel the pain pain P4INz0r!, being a spaz, and playing cliche bluegrass music on my pianolinman and bodhran

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:08 PM

I'm having an inner struggle over whether or not meat is murder. Sometimes it goes deeper than that, and I have an inner struggle over whether or not I care about whether meat is murder. I have turned down steak for the past few days, and it has brought me no joy at being a moral child of morals at all! Does this mean I should not stop eating it because I have no reasons that are not moral?

#2 User is offline   Bananer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:35 PM

If we did not eat meat, we would have oh so many cows and pigs wandering the earth. I've never seen an animal be killed, and I am sure it is very gruesome. However, life without meat would be like...well...vegetarian....

Meat is good, don't knock the meat.

Meat contains protein which you need in your diet. Sure there are alternatives, but who wants those?

Not me, that's for sure.

#3 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:27 PM

Look at it this way: pigs (for example) are raised in farms, and there are hundreds upon hundreds pigs, because they are so useful to humans. If nobody ate pigs, nobody would farm them. If nobody farmed pigs, they would go off into the wild, where they would either live in very small populations or be killed by pollution and poaching. Because that what happens to animals that aren't cute or edible. They get killed by humans.

I guess it would be possible for pigs to become a pandemic like squirrels, but do we really need another species growing unchecked?

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:28 PM

Vegetarians are often much more prone to sickness and that's no good!

Paul once brought something up while we were having a barbecue in my back yard during high school. It's kinda a slap in the face to cows that we kill them to eat them but we feel that they are not delicious enough so we cook their flesh, put it between some bread, season it, smother it with ketchup and mustard and pile on tomatoes and lettuce.

Cows would be pissed if they knew what was going down.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:21 AM

I can't say that I'm not vegetarian, mostly because I am. Though I'm not the judgemental type. If I was gonna lock you up for eating a chicken, it'd be hypocritical of me not to lock up a large amount of wild dogs as well. And that would be silly.

However, involving sickness, I have found quite the opposite in my life. I have been sick maybe twice in the last three years I have been vegetarian. I do tend to wonder whether it depends on your body type whether you need meat or not. I certainly don't need it, but if some people get sick without it.... Well anyway There's my two cents on the issue.

#6 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:22 AM

Oh poop. That was me. Sorry.

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:30 AM

I have no problem with locking up wild dogs. I have no problem locking up domesticated dogs.

And Walrus, you probably eat well. A lot of vegetarians are just bad at getting the right nutrients because it is kinda hard.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:52 AM

Hey,

A great many who eat meat do not eat enough fibre, do not get the right vitamins, have thick arteries and weak hearts. Many meat eaters are obese and the meat they eat is low-grade, usually factory chicken or processed hamburger, with the odd monoculture farmed tuna or salmon (from a can) thrown in for variety. Typically the only vegetable they eat is the lettuce on their burgers, and the only fruit the odd slice of tomato. these people are sick a lot of the time, and prone to diseases of the colon and the heart.

Both omnivores and vegetarians can lead healthy lives. Entire societies on this planet (Buddhists, Hindus) are founded on vegetarianism and the food they eat is varied and healthy and quite tasty (especially the Hindu diet, yumm). You can get your protein, by the way, without ever having to resort to supplements or tofu.

However, Chefelf, you are right that a great many North American vegetarians are more prone to sickness than the meat-eaters. I think this is because a good many North Americans use vegetarianism as a cover for annorexia and bulimia. They supplement their diet with cigarettes and candy, and so fail to get the necessary calories they need to survive, let alone the vitamins. A secondary theory is that many people drop meat from their diets without replacing the protein intelligently. I think to become vegetarian one should read about vegetarian dietics, though I don't think this is because it is "hard" to get the right nutrients from a vegetarian diet. It's just because a balanced omnivorous diet is known to all; it's in the pop culture. very little is known publicly about vegetarianism, so a little reading would help.

As for Ninja Duck's comment about how food animals would likely be endangered were it not that we eat them: I suspect this would be a good thing. The populations of those species are artificially high (like the human population), and the land cleared to raise animals has cost us large areas of wilderness and trees and has contributed to global warming. It is more efficient, space-wise, to raise crops than animals, and of course, the crops recycle the air, whereas the animals produce carbon dioxide and methane.

For the record, I like steak and am a total hypocrite on the issue of vegetarianism.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:18 AM

Meat is technically murder, but everything has to die eventually. Being omnivores we would've killed any animal anyways. I just don't understand why animals are killed so gruesomely (ie. throat slitting, hanging, etc.)
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#10 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:31 AM

As someone who was a vegetarian once, I can honestly say that meat is not murder. Murder is usually killing with malicious intent, and since we kill animals for the eating, I don't think it's murder. I started eating meat again because it's bloody (no pun intended) good. 'Nuff said.

#11 User is offline   rogue_scholar Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 November 2003 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (spastichero @ Nov 10 2003, 10:08 PM)
I'm having an inner struggle over whether or not meat is murder. Sometimes it goes deeper than that, and I have an inner struggle over whether or not I care about whether meat is murder. I have turned down steak for the past few days, and it has brought me no joy at being a moral child of morals at all! Does this mean I should not stop eating it because I have no reasons that are not moral?

I'm actually not sure if I should call myself a vegetarian or not, because I have gone back to eating fish and don't believe in the idea that fish is not meat. It is.

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for a few years before I started eating fish again, and, no, I did not suffer from any health problems or experience weakness. I didn't believe that eating meat was murder when I stopped eating it (I just decided to stop for my own reasons), and I don't believe it's murder now.

The reasons I stopped had much to do with what you describe as an "inner struggle," which is kind of what I experienced when I stopped eating beef, poultry and pork, and still experience now whenever I even think of eating certain types of sea life. My advice to you, don't ignore this feeling you're having. I don't want to get too metaphysical about this because I don't want to seem like I'm imposing my spiritual beliefs on you, but if you're experiencing an inner struggle over something you are doing, perhaps you should stop whatever it is.

#12 Guest_platinum_child_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:02 PM

I am a vegetarian in that I enjoy vegtables, when they are the bedding for a nice juicy steak. I don't ever go hunting for substance, and the meat at the super market is already there, and if I don't buy it someone else will or it will be disposed of, so thats just wasting food, and my parents were constantly reminding me of the people in africa that are starving. I also think its worth noting that I and other carnivores such as me dont work at slaughter houses or their subsidiaries. Would vegetarians be happier if I would just start eating roadkill? Once meat has been deemed roadkill I think its fair game and there should be no moral obligations to abstaining from eating it. Unless of course you ran something over on purpose for eating or other purposes, that would probably be considered murder.

#13 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:00 PM

Now see, I just don't get that. How is you eating something over letting it go to waste going to benifit starving Africans?

When confronted with the question, "How can you let that go to waste when people in Africa are starving to death?" I believe the only possible answer is, "You're right. Just a second and I'll FedEx it."

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:07 PM

a former flatmate of mine once said to me:
"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have packed them full of meat."

i am an omnivor. i think to be healthy you should have a meat:vegetable ration of 1:2 and futher more meat should only be in one meal a day. you don't need that much.

i think it's a bit harsh on an individual to try and fit into a role. either you eat alot of meat or you eat hardly any. why does there have to be a lifestyle choice about it. especially one you can't truly maintain. vegitarian dishes are often cooked in animal fat, animal bi-products are in EVERYTHING (and traces of nut).

i say eat what ever and don't make a religion out of it. you didn't kill it. so don't feel so bad. those shoes you are wearing were made by some kid who gets paid $0.03 a week and will probable be shot dead for asking to use the bathroom.

so the meat issues not a real big deal.

#15 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 20 November 2003 - 01:21 AM

You have some good points in there though I wouldn't say I agree entirely. It's not all that harsh on all of us not to eat meat. I din't even like it in the first place and was delighted when I realized that if I became a vegetarian my parents couldn't make me eat chicken anymore. (I became a vegetarian quite a few years ago.)

I also don't really think that there are any shoulds about it. I don't think humans follow a formula life, with 1 part meat two parts vegetables. I don't know why we aren't all formulated like that but form observation, I really don't think we are.

I don't make a religion about it, like you said. I'm not alergic to animals and am perfectly willing to pick the pepperonis off my pizza. In that I pretty much agree.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size