Chefelf.com Night Life: Rhu's Journal: The Half-Blood Prince Experience - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rhu's Journal: The Half-Blood Prince Experience Part 2 is now added!

#1 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

3:14pm
"The Prime Minister's pulse quickened at the thought of these accusations, for they were neither fair nor true." Hahahahahaha.

Well, that was a good start.

4:33pm

Can't say I'm too impressed so far. I'd forgotten about Rowling's habit of talking down to the reader. Snape's intro was totally ace, but then I was imagining all his dialogue being read in Rickman's cold, precise sneer. Dumbledore is still quite cool, but coming across as kinda smug. Impossible to lose myself in the story. It just seems twee, somehow.

Kinda says a lot about Rowling that Ginny, Hermione and Mrs. Weasley all turn into jealous harpies in the presence of a hotter woman. Also what's with all this Teh Precious Bonds Of Friendship crap that keeps popping up?

Okay, "resemblence to half a panda" was pretty funny.

Also, Mrs. Weasley is an annoying and ignorant cow.

4:47pm
Just noticed the little picture on the inside back cover. Snape's and Narcissa's hands, I'd imagine (heh, Narcissa, oh Rowling, how subtle). I'm unsure of whether to be annoyed or relieved at not seeing the artist's interpretation of the rest of them. Speaking of the cover, why does Dumbledore look like a crazy old drunken hobo shouting obscenities and waving bacon?

Forgot how stupid Hagrid's phoenetic accent is.

5:23pm
I can't really remember much about what happened in the previous book. Why is Neville suddenly important, again?

5:28pm
I should probably be indignant at Harry getting beaten up, but in all honesty, he's really had that coming for a long fucking time.

5:31pm
Snaaaaaaaape.

Ahaha. "Harry clung to this notion because it enabled him to blame Snape". OMG SYKOLOGY! Whoa, this book is DEEP.

5:40pm

"NOOOOOOOO! He cannot teach Defence Against Dark Arts cos he is evil! EVUL I SAYS!"

5:45pm

Oh wow, Snape is such a dude. Seriously. What an awesomely creepy teacher. He's crooning about horrific tortures and using cool adjectives and he keeps turning all his classrooms into a dungeon. Harry's such a boring jerk. He has no sense of awesome. He probably doesn't even like Bond villains. Wish Snape was my teacher.

6:03pm
Gee, I don't expect this luck potion to later develop into a plot point in any way at all.

And this Dumbledore's Mysterious Hand Ailment is really being laid on thick here.

6:15pm
Three hours in and I don't think there's even been any plot yet.

6:40pm
Okay, it's getting more absorbing now. At least when everyone isn't sulking or having hissy fits at each other.

Mundungus Fletcher is totally CMOT Dibbler.

"The curvy and attractive barmaid, Madam Rosmerta". If that just said 'barwench' instead of 'barmaid' it'd be straight out of Eye of Argon.

6:55pm
Wow, Voldemort/Riddler's backstory is awesome cool. Poor Merope. sad.gif This fucked-up Gaunt family is definitely the most interesting thing in this so far, by a mile.

7:15pm

At the sight of that kiss, Harry suddenly realised... HIS TRUE FEELINGS FOR GINNY.
Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Eehehehehehe. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Hehehehehehehe. Oh god. Ahahaha. Aha. Oh man. Ha. Ahaha. Wheeeee.

"He would have to control that particular brotherly feeling." EEEEEWWWWWW!

IT SO SWEET
LIKE BEAUTIFUL BIRDSONG AND ANGEL CHOIRS AND KITTENS
MY HEART BE ALL AFLUTTER

Christ I'm such a bitter old jade. biggrin.gif

Geez, Ron. Do you fancy Ginny as well or what?

7:25pm
Christ Hermione and Ron need to get over themselves. Fucking hell. Someone really needs to tell Rowling that even though teenagers acting like spoiled bratty cunts is realism, it does not make for entertaining reading. Stop reliving your school years, woman. It's creepy, like when Lucas showed the world that he thought lecherous comments and stalking were romantic. I mean, fuck. Throwing their badges at each other and having little hissy fits was pretty funny back in Chamber of Secrets, but four books later it's just... fuck off and die. Harry doesn't have that "oh well, he's just a kid" excuse anymore either.

7:35pm
AWESOME LIBRARIAN WOMAN biggrin.gif

7:50pm

"Luna was demonstrating her usual knack of speaking uncomfortable truths; he had never met anyone quite like her before."

Have I mentioned that Harry's a boring jerk?

8:15pm
What is it with all the song lyrics and titles relating to magic? It's like every damn thing in the witch/wizard world has to either be kooky and outrageous, or refer to magic in some way. Some fucked-up law or something. I can only imagine what the art and literature scene must be like.

8:33pm

That's what's missing from this book. The passion. The message. I'm surprised it took me this long to notice. Probably because I haven't read the others in so long. But the last book was full of scary Orwellian sociopolitical commentary where their government turned against them and started dealing out torture and imprisonment. What the hell happened to that? It's like, "Oh, Fudge resigned sorta, and now it's all okay". The fuck? Even the Azkaban horror doesn't seem to matter anymore, although it's apparently still there. Dementors are roaming around loose eating people's souls and no one's mentioned it since chapter 3, although you'd think it might be kinda important. Rowling really doesn't seem to care about this book much. The main theme so far is awkward bratty teenaged romance, which lacks quite the same punch as an entire society living in fear of being accused and tortured by the inquisition.

Yeah, now that I think about it, a lot of the themes prevailant in the previous books are just... either not present or are presented in a tired, here-it-is-again, formulaic kind of fashion. Rowling broke the mould with the last book, and now she's uninspired and trying to return to the old theme even though she could be doing so much more if she really gave a damn... considering what's going on there with worldwide hardcore terrorism and so on.

HALFWAY MARK REACHED

END OF PART 1.

This post has been edited by Rhubarb: 23 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

#2 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Rhubarb @ Jul 21 2005, 09:21 AM)
3:14pm
"The Prime Minister's

This makes the book alreayd funny if you consider that we (The Dutch) call our Prime Minister, Harry Potter.

Harry Potter

Jan Peter Balkenende

This post has been edited by Marky: 21 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

#3 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Hari Seldon: 21 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#4 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

Hilarious. I too had forgotten how dumb Hagrid sounds.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#5 User is offline   LiocModnar Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

Snape is great and he really got to come into his own in the book. If you like him in the first half, you'll love him in the second.

I agree about the Voldemort backstory. It was definitely a highlight of the book whereas the love stories... well, they just keep getting worse as the story goes on.

Did you enjoy the bit about dementor sex creating fog?

Why is Neville suddenly important, again?
In OotP, Voldemort uses Harry to obtain a prophecy concerning the pair of them. It's made by Trelawney to Dumbledore in the Hogs Head and says whoever will kill Voldemort will be born at the end of July to parents who had thrice defied him. At that time Voldemort will mark him as his equal. Finally, neither one can live while the other survives, or something to that extent.

Neville's parents were crucio'd into insanity by Bellatrix and co. and coincidentally, his birthday is the day before Harry's. Or perhaps not so coincidentally because the Longbottoms were as active against Voldemort as the Potters were. Voldemort "marked" Harry as the equal, hence the scar, which means Neville didn't get to be the prophecy boy.

Unfortunately the prophecy was destroyed in the showdown between the kids and the DE's and Voldemort still hasn't heard the entire thing.

This post has been edited by LiocModnar: 21 July 2005 - 10:22 PM

#6 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

I really liked how she played the prophecy out in this book. Normally prophecies are just an excuse to make someone who couldn't do something be able to do it. In this book, she made it like the old Greek prophecies, where the characters are given just enough information to make them try to complete the prophecy.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#7 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:00 AM

DAY 2

1:30pm
Hmm, the plot thickens. Plots and little twists are definitely Rowling's strong point. So what the hell is she doing writing bad teen romance? It was expected that she'd throw some hormone-laden love-scenes in somewhere, but I'm sure no one would have been indignant if she'd toned it down a bit. Which leaves the conclusion that she likes writing bad teen romance. Gnah.

1:37pm
"Yeah, when we pictured the scene, he was conscious." Hee hee hee.

1:38pm
...did Ron just say Hermione's name in his sleep?

:|

2:15pm
Slughorn is such a queen.

2:20pm
These memory-flashback scenes are all that's moving the plot along at this stage. In fact, they're all that's moved the plot along at all, aside from that scene with Snape at the beginning. I could burn 200 pages of this book so far and lose nothing important.

Oooh, Voldemort's face begins to show the Evil Within! You'd think the most powerful wizard who ever lived would be able to make himself look a bit prettier. Bet he wishes he had a Dorien Grey portrait.

2:33pm
Have a sneaking suspicion I know who Myrtle's boyfriend is.

Not much else to say at this juncture. Plot's finally moving a bit faster.

2:45pm
Goddamn I want me some of that luck potion.

And the Bloody Baron finally got a mention. Sweet. I totally expected him to have been more of a major player in the series eventually, like maybe you suddenly find out that he used to be someone important... considering he's a Baron, and covered in blood, and the only ghost who's actually scary. I feel let down.

2:50pm
Voldmort hid his soul away. That's unoriginal, but it's ripped off from fairytales, so it's sorta cool.

Ooooh, it all relates back to Riddle's Diary! I doubt that Rowling had this in mind when she wrote Chamber of Secrets. My respect rises.

Also, good to see her finally getting into the technical aspects of the whole VOLDEMORT IS IMMORTAL SOMEHOW thing.

2:55pm
Hahahahaha. Two Objects of Power destroyed, and four to go before the Chosen One must face the Great Evil! This is totally video game logic. I wonder if there's a minecart sequence in the last book.

THE POWAH OF LOVE DEFEATS EVIL. Hahahahahaha.

:|

3:00pm
I do like how all this Chosen One crap came about through Voldemort's own actions. Much more satisfactory than their being related or Destiny or some shit. But no, the actual prophecy was the catalyst. This almost makes up for all the whining teenage annoyance.

3:03pm
LOVE, HARRY, LOVE. LOVE IS WITHIN YOU. LOVE IS YOUR STRENGTH. LOVE CONQUERS ALL. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

3:07pm
Interesting how even though Harry apparently wuvs Ginny so much, you never see them interact. It's always, "They walked together and laughed and talked a lot and stuff" but the narration never actually follows what they do or say. It's like Rowling just can't be fucked. I mean, I wasn't aware that they were even friends before all this.

Betcha he ends up with Luna.

3:15pm

I love how Rowling's still trying to make out like Quidditch is important. The world is ending and everyone lives in fear, but she still tries to drum up the reader's interest in which house wins the championship. Also, I have to point this out: Worst scoring system ever.

3:17pm
Ha! Knew it was Malfoy that Myrtle was on about. That's kinda cute.

...christ Harry's a moron. Who the hell tries a spell out on someone without knowing what it does. Also, I think it's pretty damn obvious who this Half-Blood Prince was.

3:20pm
Woo, Hermione got told!. Ginny's cool. :D

Can't believe Harry's being so snotty about that detention. Fuck. He tore Malfoy open with illegal magic and he's only got detention and he's actually pissed off? I'm amazed he's not in Azkaban.

3:25pm
"After several long moments - or it might have been half an hour - possibly several sunlit days - they broke apart."

POSSIBLY.

SEVERAL.

SUNLIT.

DAYS.

I'm... speechless.

3:37pm
"The Prince isn't a girl, I can tell by the way he makes disjointed notes in margins." Yeah. Okay.

3:35pm
Convenient that Dumbledore just happened to find the Horcrux thing a couple of days after Harry found out what they were. Now that I come to think about it, it was a bit stupid how Dumbledore's like, "Aha, this confirms my suspicions that Voldemort made more than one Horcrux EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ALREADY DESTROYED THE SECOND ONE".

Eeee pale scary underwater monster thing. :( :( :(

3:37pm
WATER ZOMBIES

COOOOOOOOOOOOL

It was somehow cooler back when he was just talking about a mysterious Something down in the caves that traumatised the children. I guess it might not have been the zombies.

...holy crap, this potion scene is hardcore. "This will make it stop, Professor". Jesus. Why the hell isn't the rest of the book like this. That's like, 400 pages wasted.

3:55pm
The Dark Mark is over Hogwarts! Omg!

/reads avidly

4:06pm
Well, there it goes. Snape killed Dumbledore. I'd probably think that was really cool and unexpected if some spiteful fuckwrench hadn't told me about it prior to my reading. It was quite a good scene, if a bit messily written. Felt sorry for Malfoy. Didn't really expect him to be so reluctant, but I'm pleased Rowling suddenly decided to actually take his age into account after making him a villain for so long.

Yay, fight scenes. About time. Stupid fight scenes, but fight scenes nonetheless.

I'd like to see Rowling try to make Quidditch important after this.

4:18pm
SNAPE WAS THE PRINCE. Dude. I just walked into that one. I so totally didn't see that coming. Awesome! Sucked in, Harry. :D Snape pwns everyone.

4:22pm
Harry's such a fucking moron. Okay, so Dumbledore's dead and he can't possibly know about the Unbreakable Oath thing, but how much more obvious could it be that Snape's trying to save his ass?

Pretty cool plot development. Snape's gonna be working close to Voldemort now, and everyone in the world is gonna think he's a traitor and is on Voldemort's side, and he's gonna have to work alone. Betcha Harry fucks it up for him.

4:27pm
Aaah, Tonks and Lupin. That's kind of sweet.

Stanley Shunpike, political prisoner!

Boom. The End.

IT'S OVER!

Impressions: I'm actually kind of sad about Dumbledore. It just occured to me that he won't be in the last book. He and Snape were the coolest characters by far.

Overall, this book was kinda okay, but only cos the last quarter was awesome... the rest was largely lame. Doubley so, considering how intense Order of the Phoenix was. I spent two days with my eyes glued to that book, forgetting to eat or sleep, and was in agonies whenever the person who owned it insisted on taking it away so they could read it. Half-Blood Prince I only read so quickly because I had not much else to do... and I kinda skimmed quite a few pages when the action was slow, or when those horribly annoying and cliched love stories were happening. I didn't have that OMG MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT urgency going on. Even taking into account my hatred of badly-written romance, a good chunk of the book was pretty needless and dull. It wasn't terrible, but was definitely the worst of the series. Hope the last one is better.

#8 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

I knew that Dumbledore would die. I figured could be either him or Snape. I mean, the way that characters have been going, I knew it would be some-one important. It started with a unimportant little guy, (Quirrel) they then took the death off for a 2 books. Cedric proceeded to die (slightly more important character then Quirrel, he had been in at least two of the other books, then became relatively important. After Sirius died, I knew that there was a death pattern, and someone like Dumbledore would be next. I wonder if the last one will have Ron or Hermione dieing.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#9 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:09 AM

I think she'll be mobbed in the streets if Ron or Hermione die.

#10 User is offline   scubasteve4lyfe Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Kittens and soda

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

Maybe I'm just a big fat baby, but I bawled my eyes out when Dumbledore died. I knew it had to happen, of course, but not under THOSE circumstances. I think I called like three people while I was crying to tell them the bad news:

"Aw, I'm sorry, was he a friend of yours?"

I guess the Snape thing is open to interpretation. I never wanted to believe he was really bad, unlike a lot of kids who just hate him for being a meany to Harry. I always had a soft spot for the guy--I mean, I always believed he had Harry and the Order's best interests at heart. But, unless I'm mistaken, Snape murdered Dumbledore with "hatred in his eyes" or some such thing. When the whole Unbreakable Vow thing was introduced, I was convinced Snape would die breaking the vow, thus making him the raddest character in Harry Potter history.

My girlfriend and I have been discussing this whole "R.A.B." business, and together we've figured out who it is. It's actually not much of a mystery, come to think of it.

Also, is anyone else a little creeped at Harry? Dumbledore told him, straight up--it's his LOVE that will triumph over Voldemort. And then he pulls the "I-can't-date-you-'cause-I-needa-go-off-and-be-a-hero" card on Ginny. He's completely UNDERMINING Dumbledore's advice. He has to EMBRACE his love for Ginny.

But really, where the hell did Ginny come from? She just popped out of nowhere.

And Luna is a lot creepier in No. 6. She's not the lovable, spacey girl I fell in love with in Book Five.

Overall, I was kind of impressed with HBP. I was pretty sure that after the craziness in OotP, Rowling would've been plenty spent.

#11 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

I think she'll be mobbed in the streets if Ron or Hermione die.

I think she will be mobbed now.

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 23 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#12 User is offline   LiocModnar Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (scubasteve4lyfe @ Jul 23 2005, 08:10 AM)
My girlfriend and I have been discussing this whole "R.A.B." business, and together we've figured out who it is. It's actually not much of a mystery, come to think of it.
Yes, that was pretty obvious. I'll be disappointed if a Roger Aaron Burns is invented to be the owner instead but knowing Rowling it's possible.
Also, is anyone else a little creeped at Harry?
Of all the things to be creeped out about, that was the one that did it the least. I loved the scene where he was making Dumbledore drink the potion. There's been little hints all along that Harry could have done well in Slytherin but to see that side emerge was great. He and Tom have a very nice duality. *cough*

But really, where the hell did Ginny come from? She just popped out of nowhere.
She had a big role in CoS, dropped off the radar for PoA, showed up briefly in GoF, and told off Harry a few times in OotP. I didn't really like the way she was handled but part of that probably has to do with the fact Harry's only slightly more femme-savvy than Won-Won Ron.

It was a very bipolar book. Some parts made me want to gouge my eyes out, particularly any scene involving Won-Won. Others, generally those involving Tom Riddle, made enduring the crap love stories worthwhile. Some of the pairings felt like they were just tossed in without much background or reason (Remus/Tonks for instance) and never got any development. And once again, things like seeing Snape in action made up for it.

#13 User is offline   scubasteve4lyfe Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Kittens and soda

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (LiocModnar @ Jul 23 2005, 01:56 PM)
Yes, that was pretty obvious.  I'll be disappointed if a Roger Aaron Burns is invented to be the owner instead but knowing Rowling it's possible.

Haha. Well, the way I see it, there are three concrete reasons that prove Regulus is R.A.B., though Rowling's plot twists have been known to cause seizures.

#14 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (LiocModnar @ Jul 23 2005, 03:56 PM)
Yes, that was pretty obvious.  I'll be disappointed if a Roger Aaron Burns is invented to be the owner instead but knowing Rowling it's possible.

You mean a Rogerus Aaronus Burnsus.

And Snape is totally with the good guys. It'd just be stupid if he wasn't. Harry's been proven wrong over and over again about Snape's alignment, and there was stuff going on for ages about how "Dumbledore trusts him implicitly", and at the end of the book he saved Harry and called him stupid for trying to repeatedly and suicidally attack him. And he got really goddamn upset when Harry called him cowardly. Don't forget that when stripped of all the prejudice of reputation and appearance and behaviour, Harry felt quite affectionate toward the Half-Blood Prince. Rowling's already proven herself to be a fan of the 'not as they appear' theme, with Serius being a good guy, and Lockhart being a jerkface, despite their mutual reputations. It would be perfectly in keeping to have Snape turn out to be Harry's ultimate savior, and a huge plot twist.

It's entirely possible that he's evil now, but if he is, then Rowling's disregarding a lot of stuff she already built up, and that would be downright lame. Although yeah, possible.

#15 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

I think it was too hard to resist Snape going evil. I mean, why would he make a vow that would kill him if he failed. Then again, guess I don't read minds. I hope Snape isn'tgood though. He's a great villain.

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 23 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic