• « First
  • Last »

Thecomplaining thread. For depression.

#61 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

Complaint: New people at work. It just stinks like a big stinky sock. Every time new people come in, they have this "fresh perspective" and they're going to make "big changes" and it's all because they are the "boss's buddies" and then you have to go through all of the work of "breaking their spirit" and "teaching them that in fact you are supreme ruler of your place of working even though it doesn't say it in the employee manual...yet." New people. And kids with crusty boogers on their faces. But mostly new people.

Slade: I hate to say it, but I think that San Andreas is overrated as well.
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#62 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

Vera!? Is that you?

Complaint: Having 2-4 people shout "GET BACK TO WORK" in chorus like unisun every five minutes at my job, it's like my boss hired those guys for the sole pourpose of pissing me off.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#63 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

I work at a desk in the middle of the lobby of my office building, and I HATE it when people walk by and knock on my desk. Especially when they have just come from the bathroom. Oooooooogh.
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."

#64 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

Rhubarb, that seems like a pretty good description of nihilism to me. I feel the same way, that once you realize that everything is perception you relax and simultaenously relish things more, life is the big game not the rehersal.

Fuck worrying about this that and the other, do what you want (within the context of not hurting others) and let the consequences slide.

#65 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:30 AM

The trouble with nihilism is there's no breathing room. It's essentially "The entire world is meaningless, nothing at all matters." and then you sit around like a lump waiting for death to take you because nothing has any merit or value. That's my problem with it; it demeans life and requires that life has meaning in order for it to have value, and value to have meaning, which is sheer folly.

You and Bateman both sound more like you're either leaning toward existentialism or are a whole lot more pessimistic and cynical than I am, which would be quite a feat. I reccomend you look into that, and then decide if you're still nihilist.

I am a nihilist in the political sense, however. The world's gone to hell and is beyond saving, we must start over for any real progress to occur.

You seem to have a habit of thinking that most popular philosophies and alternative lifestyles are only ever employed by capacinno-sipping beret-wearing posers.

Pheh... you accuse me of being the anti-snob after admitting you don't know much of what you're talking about? I'll have you know that I don't go around spouting off criticism at things I know nothing about. I'd be a bleeding philosophy major if there was any decent career in it besides teaching it to others. Actually, now I'm really ticked off because you've insinuated that I'm asumming things about ideas based entirely upon who's using them... I'm going to assume that you weren't deliberately trying to get under my skin and not flip out, take a couple of deep breaths...

Editorium: Clarity

This post has been edited by Slade: 02 August 2005 - 01:46 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#66 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:53 AM

I pissed off Slade! I pissed off Slade! And I wasn't even trying! biggrin.gif

Jesus you're overly-defensive. You keep on and on and on with opinionated bollocks about whichever demographic you decide to talk about at any given time, so quit wigging out and don't be so goddamned surprised whenever anyone says you might possibly have your head up your arse. It's clear that however little I know about nihilism, you know even less, but at least I admitted that there might be aspects of it I'm not currently aware of.

I always thought it was existentialism, because my schoolteacher called it that. Then I actually went and researched them after a remark by jariten, and spoke to some people who also had researched them, and compared the two, and realised I'd been wrong. I'll just point at Bateman here and say 'What he said', since you apparently didn't pay any attention the first time around.

From what I've read of nihilism, it is NOT defeatest unless you feel that you need a godhead or some sort of explanation to the universe in order to enjoy your life. But I for one feel a hell of a lot more comfortable believing that neither of these things exist. I love that there isn't a god and that everything is just chaotic and random. I mean, what an awesome idea. Assuming that you can accept the responsibility, it's just the ultimate freedom.

#67 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:24 AM

Back to complaining: I'm coming to the end of my degree, and am getting the impression that I'm not going to end up with a job. This is leading to great depression on my part.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#68 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:39 PM

Don't worry little fella... Just look at me... I got my degree about two years ago, and now I am stuck at a crappy desk for ten hours a day, four days a week and weekends whenever my job tyrants decide that they can't be bothered to get off of their heinies and bring me the work in the four hours a day four days a week that they work. The marvelous thing is that my work has nothing to do with my degree or my eventual career plan, so I am basically getting no useful experience, and having a ball doing it.

You can find a job...don't worry about that...worry about the crap you will have to deal with.

#69 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

Am I the only person here who actually likes his job? unsure.gif

That sounds pretty typical really. Get degree, get job which has nothing to do with degree, forget everything you learnt to get the degree.

I'm under the suspicion that university is just there to give you humourous anecdotes and conversation topics.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#70 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

But you work at a bar right? How could anyone not want to work in a bar?

TALES OF INTEREST.

#71 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

anyone who has

#72 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

Laughlyn, university is NOT there just to give you "humourous anecdotes and conversation topics!" University is there to teach you new ways to look at things, and other things including, but not limited to:
-How to make a thong for a duck piņata
-How to use up all of the hot water in the dorm by leaving the water in the bathroom on all night because you were having a water fight and forgot that you left a bucket to fill in the sink.
-using the bucket of water on a innocent bystander
-realizing there are no innocent bystanders.
-plotting revenge and forming alliances.
-stealing cars
-putting cars back, full of some foam-like substance.
-not putting marshmallow bunnies on someone's car and leaving them there in the rain and letting them stay in the sunlight.
-Marshmallow bunnies are a pain to clean off of a car, and they could eat the paint off.
-coming to the realization that one of your friends is more gullible than any other.
-coming to a realization that even if someone sings about having a daisy on their toe, it doesn't mean they really have one.
-closing your curtains and never opening them again because the people that meet by the dumpster can see inside your room.
-it really doesn't hurt that bad to fall off of a moving car.
-if someone is lying in bed, and they say they don't have pants on, believe them.
-you could walk out of a catholic hospital with all of the holy water.
-holy water does work against vampires, but only if you hit them in the eyes.

and so many more...

#73 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

Like I said humourous anecdotes. (and good ones they were too laugh.gif)

The long and the short of it is that your degree comes second to the knowledge learned from the overall experience.
and not paying any taxes for 4 years
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#74 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

Degrees are well worth it, in the end you may not use it in your working life but in your daily life, which is what you work to enjoy anyway.

Back to depression, why is it that none of us are depressed that kiddies are dying of starvation right now and are depressed about shitty little personal problems??
I am not excusing myself from this, it's just weird that we can compartamentalise (sp?) our minds so that the big picture is lost but the little picture dominates.

#75 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:35 PM

It's because our minds cannot comprehend big pictures.

I think of it this way: Imagine you have a telescope pointed at an apartment building a block away. You can focus onto a single apartment window and see that in pretty good detail, or you can look without the telescope and see a big ol' brick building down the road.

But then again, I'm a twat who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

TALES OF INTEREST.

• (375 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size