• Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:48 AM

Please ban dinvader lol

#17 User is offline   dougte Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

Maybe he meant to call himself dim-vader.

#18 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:44 PM

zimvader would have been cool...

#19 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

*laughs* Lucas probably thinks he can get away with bloviation like this because, for the new generation of fans he's trying to impress, the '30s are as mythical and remote as King Arthur or Helen of Troy. (Lucas has already stated that it's the new generation he's hoping to capture; he's given up on the older generation that likes the original movies better.) The trouble is, some of us have actually *seen* movies from the '30s and so we know what Lucas is claiming is just bullshit.

Let's just say that when great movie love affairs are remembered decades from now, I don't think "Attack of the Clones" is going to rank up there with "Rebecca" or "Wuthering Heights". There's a difference between great melodrama and bad cheese.

Oh, and since when has flowery love-chat been in the Star Wars style? The style of the original and only Star Wars is fast-paced, colloquial, and informal. Only with the prequels did Lucas inexplicably decide to try to imitate movies where they write with feathers. It's completely out of character and Lucas does a very bad job of it.

Moreover, Lucas isn't fooling anyone when he says that he doesn't care what people thinks about his movies, that he just happy if someone likes them. He's said it before - dozens of times. He's forever been defending himself, over and over claiming that he's just putting his "vision" into effect and the hell with the critics and the fans. Fine, George - have your "vision" and shut the fuck up then. Self-confident artistes don't have to explain themselves as often as you do, George.

#20 User is offline   darth_newmacer Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (ernesttomlinson @ Jul 22 2005, 12:25 AM)
*laughs*  Lucas probably thinks he can get away with bloviation like this because, for the new generation of fans he's trying to impress, the '30s are as mythical and remote as King Arthur or Helen of Troy.  (Lucas has already stated that it's the new generation he's hoping to capture; he's given up on the older generation that likes the original movies better.)  The trouble is, some of us have actually *seen* movies from the '30s and so we know what Lucas is claiming is just bullshit.

Its just total bullshit coming from Lucas to even mention 30s films when creating these movies! He's just making an ass of himself, now I have never seen a 30s film, but I am sure that anyone in my generation who was to see one of these films would think its a piece of shit, so why even try to make a movie for a YOUNGER generation thats supposed to be like a movie for an OLDER generation.... It hurts my brain!

what an ass!

#21 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:04 AM

Interesting quotes. Did anyone happen to notice that Lucas freely admits he's not the world's best director or writer? He's not a genius and doesn't claim to be. I wouldn't be surprised if he's rather harsh on himself in private. That's the impression of him I've gotten from what little I've seen of him.

He also says specifically that more "sophisticated, cynical" types would not buy the love story. It appears he understood before the release of AOTC what kind of reception the love story would receive from many of his fans, who would either 1) be bored with it or 2) ridicule it.

#22 User is offline   Rick McCallum Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:33 AM

yeah that cunt is so sensitive... so is he just a lucky geek? maybe you're right DarthTherion

#23 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:33 AM

I think he's lieing. I don't believe his romantic rant about silent being better. I think he made crappy PT's and is now trying to justify the lower than low quality of the actors.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#24 User is offline   darth_newmacer Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

DarthTherion, thats a load of BS! No one would buy it!! I saw the movie when it came out in theaters, and I am not sophisticated, and I didn't like it, but my mom who saw it, who loved the OT, loved this movie (mostly because she thinks the clones are stormtroopers, so....) Anybody who saw the "romantic shit" of that movie would hate it!!!, hell I hate the romantic stuff from ESB and ROTJ!!!! Although I can handle SOME scenes in ESB like when they're in the Millenium Falcon...

Basically, if Lucas was hard on himself he would recognize the fact that he has created some sub-par movies in the past six or seven years and acknowlege the fact and try BETTER next time (although after TPM, cleaning up the new trilogy would be almost an impossible task... the youth was already tainted with Binks as their leader...)! If he was hard on himself, wouldn't he have recognized things while writing the script, maybe that things were'nt that original or great!!! If he's not the greatest director he shoulda gotten the greatest!!!! If he isn't the best writer, he shoulda gotten the greatest writer!!! Its just that what he wants to see on the screen, no one else wants to, so no one else will write it!!!

#25 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

My dog has more sophistication than the Prequels.

*Edited for crudeness. You can replace dog with whatever you want. smile.gif

This post has been edited by diligent_d: 22 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size