Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Lucas quotes Defends dialogue and acting

#1 User is offline   DINVADER Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

It's not deliberately camp. I made the film in a 1930s style. It's based on a Saturday matinee serial from the 1930s, so the acting style is very 30s, very theatrical, very old-fashioned. Method acting came in in the 1950s and is very predominant today. I prefer to use the old style. People take it different ways, depending on their sophistication."

George Lucas cbn.com

"I've always been a follower of silent movies. I see film as a visual medium with a musical accompaniment, and dialogue is a raft that goes on with it. I create films that way - very visually - and the dialogue's not what's important. I'm one of those people whosays, yes, cinema died when they invented sound. The talking-head era of movies is interesting and good, but I'd just like to go to the purer form."

"I don't think of myself as the best writer or director in the world, I've never equated my opinion of what I do to the rest of the world's opinion of what I do. And because of that, I am always amazed whan I do a movie and it is so well-received. But just like all the other SW movies, for every person who loves it, there will be 2 or 3 who hate it, or won't see it & couldn't care less about the whole thing. All I can do is throw it out there in the real world-and wait and see what everyone thinks."

George Lucas in "Making of TPM" book

"He (Anakin) lets himself go there...he's spilling his guts out to her (AOTC couch scene). It's intended to be overly dramatic, even operatic... You've got to remember that this whole series of films is based on a
30s genre, The acting style is very much from the 30s,conceptually it's using the influence and the inspiration of the 30s films as its basis, the most central of which are the Saturday matinee serials."-

GEORGE LUCAS on AOTC DVD COMMENTARY

"I wanted to write a love story in a style that was extremely old-fashioned, and frankly I didn't know if I was going to pull it off. In many ways this was much more like a movie that from the 1930s than any of the others had been, with a slightly over-the-top, poeticstyle-and they just don't do that in movies anymore. I was very happy with the way it turned out in the script and in the performances, but I knew people might not buy it. A lot of guys were going to see this movie, and most guys think that kind of flowery, poetic talk is stupid--'Come on, give me a break.' More sophisticated, cynical types also don't buy that stuff. So I didn't know if people would laugh at it and throw things at the screen or they would accept it. Let's face it, their dialogue in that (couch) scene is pretty corny. It is presented very honestly, it isn't tongue-in-cheek at all, and it's really played to the hilt. But it is consistant with the over all Star Wars style. Most people don't understand the style of SW. They don't get that there is anunderlying motif that is very much like a 1930s western or Saturday matinee serial. It's in that more romantic period of making movies and adventure films. And this film is even more of a melodrama then the others."

--GEORGE LUCAS "Behind the scenes AOTC" book

#2 User is offline   Failureboy2 Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:smoking cigars and pipes, playing computer games, writing, buying stuff

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

Yeah. I totally see the 1930s influence during Yoda's scenes in Empire, I just never noticed it until now.

Look, dude, he's a bag of wind. If you can't realize that after reading these quotes, then... ermm.gif

#3 User is offline   Sagacity Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:57 AM

Never listen to what he says; watch what he does. His actions will completely contradict anything that comes out of his mouth. dry.gif

#4 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

Dont you heretics understand? hes obviouslyl the most brilliant director in the history of the world. he understands the awsome beauty of the old silent films. his next version of star wars should be silent except for music.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#5 User is offline   DINVADER Icon

• New Cop

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jul 20 2005, 10:02 AM)
Dont you heretics understand? hes obviouslyl the most brilliant director in the history of the world. he understands the awsome beauty of the old silent films. his next version of star wars should be silent except for music.

Why don't you focus directly on what he has said. Other than just saying something like "he sucks or he's a liar." It's no different than a fanboy who says "everything is great" with no explanation why.

This post has been edited by DINVADER: 20 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

#6 User is offline   darth gimp Icon

• New Cop

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (DINVADER @ Jul 20 2005, 12:48 PM)
Why don't you focus directly on what he has said. Other than just saying something like "he sucks or he's a liar." It's no different than a fanboy who says "everything is great" with no explanation why.

OK Dinvader, I'll take that challenge. He claims in the above that he likes the good 'ole days of silent films. And yet, in the opening interview to the first special additions, he argues that there is no reason to stick with the "old way" of making settings/props - CGI is just fine. Doesn't that seem hypocritical to you?

#7 User is offline   Casual Fan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

I'm just curious to find out which 1930s movies had people riding on lizards and lines like "I don't like sand".

#8 User is offline   Failureboy2 Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:smoking cigars and pipes, playing computer games, writing, buying stuff

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

Not to mention the part when Lucas says he's, "not interested in making a movie with a bunch of talking heads."

Right. Why'd you do it, then, George?

#9 User is offline   DINVADER Icon

• New Cop

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:59 PM

Flash Gordon anyone? That's what George would have made instead of SW had he got the chance in the 1970s

#10 User is offline   dougte Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (DINVADER @ Jul 20 2005, 09:26 AM)
Method acting came in in the 1950s and is very predominant today. I prefer to use the old style. People take it different ways, depending on their sophistication."

So, basically, if you're a fanboy who agrees with Lucas's crappy prequels you're "sophisticated"....and if you point out the horrible dialogue and directing you're not?

rolleyes.gif

#11 User is offline   Harvey Globetrotter Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Apathy.

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:56 PM

You're all fools! George Lucas was the genius that came up with the best line in the history of film - "Oo, goober fish!" How can you insult such a great man!

#12 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (DINVADER @ Jul 20 2005, 12:48 PM)
i think you just insulted me. i found your speech to be a little confusing. if you were, well i was being sarcastic pisshead. but if you werent then no big deal.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#13 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:32 PM

Because they were nothing like 1930's silent films.

Exhibit A: Bouncing Yoda, CGI spilling out the ass, Rocket R2, Jar Jar Binks over here.
Exhibit B: Silent 30's Movie over there.

Other than the wooden acting/cheesy dialogue, I see no simularity to any Victor Flemming or Frank Lloyd film (maybe Charle Chaplain?)

#14 User is offline   darth_newmacer Icon

• New Cop

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

I don't understand this shit! Obviously Lucas is obsessed (and has been since he created Ewoks) with taking it a little TOO much further
ex: Funny Character that will provide some comic relief for the audince.....Jar Jar Binks TOO FAR!!!

I think it has to do with his want to Make More MONEY....You see, he is a great director, that might have got a HIT movie too soon, and TOO big for him.. you see if he had gotten it later, than I bet he would be more independant making films much more similair to what he set out to do, which was make HIS films
(which in theory he is, but now they suck thanks to CGI)
So, what I'm trying to say, is that the special effect screwed up his mind and now he thinks he can pull any shit off = Fighting Yoda!!!Damnit!!!

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

People take it different ways, depending on their sophistication?

yes...

it takes real sophistication to appreciate a line like: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size