• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Most Hated Characters Wald

#46 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (ernesttomlinson @ Jul 13 2005, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God, yes. What was Lucas on when he came up with that two-headed announcer? Was he chuckling to himself while he typed? "Heh heh, 'That's gotta hurt,' I'm a genius!"

Annie still takes the prize, though, beating out even Jar Jar (although he almost wins the race with "exsqueeze me!".)

when Lucas came up with Wald,..I think he was trying to take a few jabs at Al Michaels and Bob Costas.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#47 User is offline   makingfun22_sw Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

As far as i can tell it was mentioned only ONCE. WHY?
I hate prequel YODA.
I am no Star Wars fan though i have watched all six movies. I REALLY liked original yoda. Seeing him in the prequels i think is vomiting. For me a no Star Wars fan. How can you the fans accept "it" (i mean the prequel yoda).
Other than that all the others (except Padme and Obi-Wan because of the good acting and NOT writing) especially the bad guys.

#48 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Let me first say that, I think the quality of acting in a movie, is overrated as to the overall quality of a movie...yes I will admit that there are great performances that make a movie better, but in reality, the performance has to be pretty bad to make the movie worse for me. That being said, there are so many bad...scratch that...terrible acting performances in the Prequels I don't know where to begin. I think in large part, it is the acting, that is really worse than the characters themselves. Obi-Wan is obviously not a bad character, just not played that well, Qui-Gon Jinn the same, Padme the same, Anakin the same, and so goes on and on and on...Jar Jar is so obvious a terrible character and has been hit on so much I won't go there...if for no other reason than that I think there is so much hatred that has been directed his way that alot of other characters/actors deserving of being hated and despised get overlooked. Here is my most hated character(s) in the trilogy...

Queen Amidala's head of the "Royal Naboo Security Forces" Captain Panaka & Qui-Gon Jinn - Sorry these two tie for top honors...I just don't see why everyone is not crashing in on Liam Neelson for one of the worst performances ever, and definately the worst of his career. At least Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan showed some emotion/effort in trying to play his role, Liam was absolutely terrible...TERRIBLE...including having one of the worst lines of the entire Prequel trilogy to Queen Amidala..."My feelings tell me they will destroy you." Huh??? What was that? Are you speaking to an intelligent, informed audience who has seen the original trilogy? Or are you speaking solely to eight-year olds who will ignore your crappy lines just to see a "cool lightsaber battle"??? Qui-Gon was suppose to the "Ben Kenobi" of the Prequels...the all-knowing, wise, powerful old Jedi who would set the scene and leave a lasting impression throughout the rest of the trilogy. Instead we got garbage lines like "My feelings tell me they will kill you", a God-awful acting performance and a nice tidbit of info later in the trilogy from Yoda that Qui-Gon, somehow after he died, had "learned the path to immortality". Does this development really need commenting on???

Anyways Hugh Quarshie as Captain Panaka has to turn in the worst acting performance of the entire trilogy. He (for me anyways, I know many of you wouldn't agree with this sentiment) was more annoying than Jar Jar...his only saving grace was he wasn't in as many scenes...his lines were completely stagnant, he was as stoic as a statue delivering them, and just sais the dumbest things to boot...he sounds like the biggest idiot in the world trying desparately to sound intelligent. I realize that for many actors in the Prequels, that it wasn't completely their fault and they were doing the best with the pathetic material they were given, but I'm sorry Panaka was just over-the-top. Topping this off was the fact that he very will may be in the worst scene (I agree with Chefelf on this one) of all three movies, when R2 got awarded for saving the ship from being destroyed in their escape from Naboo. Just being in that scene automatically puts you in line to be on this list...not only was he IN this scene, but he was a major player...recognized you are Captain Panaka...

I know both of these characters were from Episode I (mainly), but that movie left such an awful first-n-lasting impression on me being the dissapointment it was that when I saw this forum these were the first two characters to come to mind. I know this subject is relative, and someone else may see it from a completely different perspective, but these two were by far the most hated characters of the Prequels for me. At least we all for sure can agree on one thing, the Prequels were terrible...May the Force...I mean...Midi-Chlorians be with you!!!!!

This post has been edited by Hoth: 07 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

#49 User is offline   stephen Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:35 AM

Boss Nass. Seriously awful.

And who and where is Yaddle? I missed this particular nugget.

#50 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo @ Jul 13 2005, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any way who is your most hated TPM character?

Looking past the obvious Jar Jar and Boss Nass:

Midochlorians: OH GOD WHY GOD WHY?
Padme: She's whiny and annoying.
Anakin: Yipee! Ooops! Oh wow the engine has started all by itself and I'm now flying into space.
Nute Gunray: Everything about this character sucks. Limp low-grade evil. As threatening as Clippy.
Roger-roger droids: They suck absolutely and totally. More annoying and less threatening than Clippy.
Two-headed Announcer: I don't care what Galaxy you're from but this character really sucks.
Jaba the Hutt: For a cheap, greasy cameo.
Black Nabooian Guards: because they keep changing them and think we won't notice.
Artoo: For not bleeping back "Since f*ng when do Droids get medals you stupid b*?"
Qui-gon: Because it was role made for Liam Neeson, not the other way around.
Gungans: They suck, and with the Roger-roger droids gave us a huge CGI battle that no one cared about.
Yoda: He's just plain annoying these days, and keeps says dumb things.
The Senate: This was just bad, pretentious, dull cinema.
Everyone involved in that Pod Race: Even before it dawned on me how much TPM sucked, while I was sat through this I realized it was just there to sell toys.
Jedis: They now look like the gatecrashers in Weird Science. And they keep saying dumb things.
Smee: For having such a stupid name. For the virgin birth thing.
Naboo Underwater Monsters: For being in such a cheap joke. For not eating the underwater spaceship. For not pointing out the stupidity of an underwater spaceship.
Young Greedo: Another sleazy cameo. He should have bit George Lucas' nuts off.
George Lucas: for continuing to rape my childhood, and getting shirty when I complain about it.
Watoo: Oh it seems unconnected but if it wasn't for this ugly Arabic stereotype, Bush could have never sold the invasion of Iraq to the American Public.

Redeeming features:

That Red and Black Sith Thing: It was pretty cool.
Obi-won: Ewan played him well EXCEPT FOR "his midochlorian count is off the scale"

This post has been edited by Toru-chan: 07 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

#51 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Jan 7 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Artoo: For not bleeping back "Since f*ng when do Droids get medals you stupid b*?"
Yoda: He's just plain annoying these days, and keeps says dumb things.
The Senate: This was just bad, pretentious, dull cinema.
Jedis: They now look like the gatecrashers in Weird Science. And they keep saying dumb things.
Smee: For having such a stupid name. For the virgin birth thing.
Young Greedo: Another sleazy cameo. He should have bit George Lucas' nuts off.

I loved these! Especially the "biting GLs' nuts off." laugh.gif

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Jan 7 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Redeeming features:

Hell yeah! He was friggin cool! I wanted to see more of him. I am dissapointed with this film, not only with the poor direction, acting, writing, etc... but not enough of this "red and black Sith thing." happy.gif

#52 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:26 AM

Redeeming Features:

Obi-won: Ewan played him well EXCEPT FOR "his midochlorian count is off the scale"

I may have agreed with you on the wikipedia thing but I simply cannot on these...Ewan was terrible as Obi-Wan...albeit so was everyone else but his own saving grace was the fact that he was one of the "least" terrible...in my opinion he did "okay" at best...

And Darth Maul didn't even look real, just a guy with paint on his face, and he had NO personality. Why didn't he speak? They could have done much better with him, a major dissapointment.

#53 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Hoth @ Jan 8 2009, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Darth Maul didn't even look real, just a guy with paint on his face, and he had NO personality. Why didn't he speak? They could have done much better with him, a major dissapointment.

He didn't speak (much) because he's an assassin. He doesn't need to say much at all. His personality was shown in just a few seconds and that was his pacing before Qui-Gon's power nap. Not much character development was needed for him especially if he's going to die in that film. Speaking and personality didn't have to be done with him much because really, he's just an action figure character and again, he died in the first film.

I personally think though, that Boba Fett has a far elevated and unneeded reputation in comparrison to Maul. I mean four lines in a film is better than Maul, but we only saw him shoot at Luke, fly once on a jet pack, then fall in a pit. At least with Maul, he looked crazy, rode the motorcycle, looked angry, and handed Qui-Gon his cauterized @ss, gave Obi-wan some roughin' up, ... then fell in a pit.

Now if an older Anakin had to face off with him, then sure enough, there should have been more added to this character.

"They could have done much better with him," Yes, they could have, they could have elaborated his character into something even more awesome by having him through the entire PT. But I'm actually glad they didn't being that the rest of the films weren't that good either.

This post has been edited by Vesuvius: 08 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

#54 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

He didn't speak (much) because he's an assassin. He doesn't need to say much at all. His personality was shown in just a few seconds and that was his pacing before Qui-Gon's power nap. Not much character development was needed for him especially if he's going to die in that film. Speaking and personality didn't have to be done with him much because really, he's just an action figure character and again, he died in the first film.

I'm sorry I just don't buy this argument. Wasn't Greedo an assasin? And he spoke more in one scene in ANH then Maul did in a number of scenes in TPM. There are numerous characters that only exist for "a few scenes" throughout the Star Wars universe that get more character development than Maul does. If the fact that he didn't need much character development because he died in the first film is true, then there are some other characters in the Prequels that I wish didn't say anything either. I would think if anyone would need character development, it would be the main (or main "visual") antagonist in the movie...

Again as far as he looked, the first time I saw him I was COMPLETELY disappointed...yeah he looks crazy, but he also just looks fake. It is so obvious he is just a guy with paint on his face and his appearance just doesn't let me believe he's real. And I will also say that while the Boba Fett rage may be unwarranted, it is without doubt more warranted then anything Darth Maul brings to the table. First Boba Fett appeared in more movies than Maul, and in my opinion, he is a MUCH more intriguing character and just looks better/more realistic than Maul. Who cares if Maul rides a space/motorcycle, Boba Fett can fly around in a jet pack...who given the choice between the two would take the motorcycle??? I'm sorry I just find Maul to be a huge disappointment and don't see what anyone sees in him...at all.

But that's the beauty of the prequels isn't it? There is so much bad to talk about how could anyone be wrong...even if they disagree???

This post has been edited by Hoth: 08 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

#55 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Vesuvius @ Jan 9 2009, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"They could have done much better with him," Yes, they could have, they could have elaborated his character into something even more awesome by having him through the entire PT. But I'm actually glad they didn't being that the rest of the films weren't that good either.

Well, true. I guess it's all relative. If the other characters were stellar, I would have expected more from Maul but at least being cool was one thing he had going for him. I couldn't say that about anything else in that movie.

I personally think though, that Boba Fett has a far elevated and unneeded reputation in comparrison to Maul. I mean four lines in a film is better than Maul, but we only saw him shoot at Luke, fly once on a jet pack, then fall in a pit.

Boba Fett could be the most overrated character in the history of cinema. I love the way GL can change his mind and suddenly have him survive being a poo in Sarlacc, and fanboys go along with it. It is my fantasy to creep into GL's room when he's on his deathbed and make him sign a declaration that tears apart the myth of Boba Fett for fanboys for all time.

The droid medal thing. Now that is weird. GL (supposedly) said that Chewie didn't get a medal in ANH because it's against his religion. But if R2 could get a medal for fixing a broken machine in TPM, why didn't he get one for the fight against the Death Star? As GL and I'm sure he's got a perfectly good explanation he claims to have written in 1973.

#56 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Hoth @ Jan 8 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry I just don't buy this argument. Wasn't Greedo an assasin? And he spoke more in one scene in ANH then Maul did in a number of scenes in TPM. There are numerous characters that only exist for "a few scenes" throughout the Star Wars universe that get more character development than Maul does. If the fact that he didn't need much character development because he died in the first film is true, then there are some other characters in the Prequels that I wish didn't say anything either. I would think if anyone would need character development, it would be the main (or main "visual") antagonist in the movie...

But that's the beauty of the prequels isn't it? There is so much bad to talk about how could anyone be wrong...even if they disagree???

Good answer. Yet I also see a problem and not with your answer but with the film, like with your "other characters in the Prequels that I wish didn't say anything" oh yeah. I think the movie needed more of that. GL has this "boast" that the SW films are "silent films" and able to convey the message clearly with just the music. I don't buy this. The PT needed a bit of silence and a bit more creativity in the music department.

happy.gif Trully though, as much as the PT was a dissapointment, that's why I'm here, to shred what I hate, elevate the few things I liked, and blow snot on the rest.

BTW, I like Maul because I enjoyed how Terry Brooks wrote about him in EP I the book and I liked all of his back story in the book "Shadow Hunter." He was a near flawless assassin fueled by rage against self-righteous Jedi, and he displayed more of a Samurai philosophy (Bushido in a darker sense) toward his master. Although GL did take a lot from Japanese cinema, and try to convey the Jedi as intergalactic Samurai, he failed in comparrison to how Maul turned out due to other writers.

#57 User is offline   Tolhurst Icon

• New Cop

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Sio Bibble. Every word out of that guy's mouth is some sort of complaint.

Captain Panaka was dour as well.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size