Chefelf.com Night Life: George Lucas. Open or Closet Rascist - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

George Lucas. Open or Closet Rascist There's some weird shit in Star Wars ...

#16 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:37 AM

Yeah, he's an absolute legend.

Check out his performance in Black Books as well, he plays a control freak book-shop manager in one episode. I'm not one for exaggerations but I would suggest that its the funniest thing ever shown on TV!

#17 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

What makes Pegg so great is that not only is he a comedic genius and a cool actor, he sounds like a really cool guy to know. Like someone you wouldn't mind hanging out with. He's an opinionated nerd. He's one of us.

#18 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (Rhubarb @ Jul 8 2005, 11:25 AM)
What makes Pegg so great is that not only is he a comedic genius and a cool actor, he sounds like a really cool guy to know. Like someone you wouldn't mind hanging out with. He's an opinionated nerd. He's one of us.

Funny you should say that, only the other day we had a "which celeb would you most like to have a pint with" conversation in the pub, and I put his name forward.

#19 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, totally. Like, when reading that interview I linked to with Pegg and Smith and Wright, I kept having the urge to jump into the conversation and go "Yeah yeah!" and stuff. What an awesome crowd. Why don't I know anyone like that?

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

I think some people are confused to why there are no Asian Jedi roles. Since Jedi are based on samurai warriors, roughly.

You have to understand that a lot of the production for ANH was shot in London, so there were not many asian people available. ESB and ROTJ were shot to be consistent with ANH in terms of casting.

The PT had a black Jedi and Jango Fett was an indian (i think) or an aborignal dude (same thing?) so he did cast more colored folk this time around.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jul 8 2005, 03:23 PM)
The PT had a black Jedi and Jango Fett was an indian (i think) or an aborignal dude (same thing?) so he did cast more colored folk this time around.

I love the almost innocent qualities of the term "colored folk", you can picture some old fella down in Alabamy saying it in complete sincerity without any intentions of racism.

#22 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Whenever I hear that, I picture bright green people walking around, and this old guy on his front porch says "The world would be better without all these colored folk."
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#23 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

Aborigianl people and Indian people the same???

Oh oh ermm.gif

#24 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Patrick Bateman @ Jul 8 2005, 07:22 PM)

Oh oh ermm.gif

Yes and no. Aboriginal people are the original inhabitants of a location, but in common parlance refers more directly to the aboriginal people of Oceania, where as the aboriginal people of the west have the misnomer "Indians".

#25 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

Oh oh 

I think that what they meant was in the eyes of the viewing public, both count for the same amount. And in appearance they are quite similar.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#26 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Jul 8 2005, 07:30 PM)
I think that what they meant was in the eyes of the viewing public, both count for the same amount. And in appearance they are quite similar.

Yet, he should have used "Native Americans" instead of Indians, unless of course he was talking about Indians from the Indian subcontinent which despite being the aboriginal people of the Indian subcontinent are not the same as Aboriginals from Oceania despite the scientific evidence that demonstrates that the Aboriginals reached Oceania by way of the Indian subcontinent from Africa, but the aboriginal Africans are quite different from both despite the genetic lineage, and even further different from aboriginal peoples from the western hemisphere who are more directly related with asians, the aboriginal people of the asian continent and mongolians.

#27 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:52 PM

I am confused. Aboringal of course refers to native to the land, but commonly refers to the native people of Australia. For example, I am a New Zealander, and the aboriginal people of New Zealand (Aotearoa) are Maori. But if you to refer to someone who was Moari as an Aborigone you would get a well deserved cock punching.

Hmmmmm..... let's move on.

I still think that all excuses aside - lack of 'dark' people (really????? seems slighly suspect to me) genuine mistakes, etc - it appears that George really just made this series sticking to a tried and true movie serial formula. He has always said that SW and Indiana were supposed to be like the old movie seials that came on before the films in the old days

These serials work on the same premise as short stories, that there is limited time/space and therefore it is preferable to shortcut where possible. Want a villian? Give him a mustache and an English Accent. Want a fool? Make him a black
/jive/coon/dancing boy. Want someone untrustworthy? Give them a hook nose?
Stereotypes are a real time saver as the saying goes, George has simply used them and not had the guts to admit it.

Theres only one thing worse than a rascist and that is someone who hides his rascism behind suppoesed eloquence ...

#28 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Patrick Bateman @ Jul 8 2005, 07:52 PM)
Theres only one thing worse than a rascist and that is someone who hides his rascism behind  suppoesed eloquence ...

Yes, because George Lucas, as his well written screenplays attest, has always used his knack for eloquence to lend a guise to his true feelings.

Move over Longfellow, Keats and Kipling!

#29 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

I AM GEORGE. I MAKE MOVIES ... MOVIES ARE GOOD ...

LUKE FIGHTS VADER AND HE IS BAD AND HE KILLS VADER BUT NOT BEFORE THERE IS A FIRE AND LUKE SEES VADER AND OBI IN THE FIRE BUT NOT BURNING BECAUSE THEY ARE DEAD.

What a genuis!!!

He's still using rasicm to propel his films to box office glory, it's not cool.

#30 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

This is absurd. You're simply reading way too much into what you see. You have to be looking for this stuff before you actually notice it. This movie doesn't make people racists if they watch it. Just because there are some coincidences doesn't mean anything. The black riders from LOTR were black. Why aren't you ripping Peter Jackson to pieces for holding back the black community?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size