Chefelf.com Night Life: George Lucas. Open or Closet Rascist - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

George Lucas. Open or Closet Rascist There's some weird shit in Star Wars ...

#1 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:39 PM

I love Star Wars. I love the space battles and the light sabres. I love Leia's bikini and Han solos' kick ass waistcoat. I love Chewbaccca and Darth Vader, I love R2-D2's beeps and Vaders rasp.

But, I feel more and more disconcerted as I get older, the galaxy seems to be some kind of plantation.

I know that the quasi-rascism of Star Wars has been discussed MANY times before but it seems to be a little more deep seeded than perhaps suspected, especially in light of the NT.

A few disturbing points (I am a young white male so I feel the need to apologise for all the shit George perpetuates in these films. Good God when will us crackers learn!!!!)

Luke is the perfect Aryan
Darth is evil and therefore black
Jar Jar is the fieldslave comic sidekick - Steppin Fetchit anyone?
C3PO is effeminite and therefore cowardly
The Trade Federation dudes are a kick back to Fu Manchu Hollywood Stereotypes of early Hollywood, decietful asians.
Anakins 'owner' is a manipulative, cheap, sneaky creature with a long hook nose ... yikes
The Ewoks are seen as 'noble' savages, stupid but loyal and cuddly
There are no black people in the galaxy until Empire and he ends up betraying the rebels, he does redeem himself but his first instinct does appear to be impure, it is only once he's around good white folk and aliens that he learns to be noble.

Does George have any friends left after this?

#2 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Patrick Bateman @ Jul 7 2005, 05:39 PM)
I love Star Wars. I love the space battles and the light sabres. I love Leia's bikini and Han solos' kick ass waistcoat. I love Chewbaccca and Darth Vader, I love R2-D2's beeps and Vaders rasp.

But, I feel more and more disconcerted as I get older, the galaxy seems to be some kind of plantation.

I know that the quasi-rascism of Star Wars has been discussed MANY times before but it seems to be a little more deep seeded than perhaps suspected, especially in light of the NT.

A few disturbing points (I am a young white male so I feel the need to apologise for all the shit George perpetuates in these films. Good God when will us crackers learn!!!!)

Luke is the perfect Aryan
Darth is evil and therefore black
Jar Jar is the fieldslave comic sidekick - Steppin Fetchit anyone?
C3PO is effeminite and therefore cowardly
The Trade Federation dudes are a kick back to Fu Manchu Hollywood Stereotypes of early Hollywood, decietful asians.
Anakins 'owner' is a manipulative, cheap, sneaky creature with a long hook nose ... yikes
The Ewoks are seen as 'noble' savages, stupid but loyal and cuddly
There are no black people in the galaxy until Empire and he ends up betraying the rebels, he does redeem himself but his first instinct does appear to be impure, it is only once he's around good white folk and aliens that he learns to be noble.
Does George have any friends left after this?

You forgot that Grievous is a vodka swilling chain smoking eastern european mafioso, probably Bulgarian if he wears his gold necklace over his shirts.
Luke would have been a more perfect Aryan had he worn awful designer eyeglass frames and a shirt one size too tight.
Dark/black has always been associated with evil.
I thought Watto represented an Italian OTB salon manager, maybe he's half jewish.
Jawas remind me of the diminutive mexicans who work at the local junk yard that speak an indecipherable language. Instead, when iritated they yell, "Chingao!".
Wait...that's it Star Wars is making us all racists-that's been Lucas's plan all along.

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:17 PM

And one time, this one time I saw this movie, and it had this whacky black guy in it, and it was like "ALL BLACK GUYS ARE TEH WACKINESS ROFLLMAO!" and then this Asian man paid the black man to strip and so all Asians like to see Will Smith get nekkid and that's a stereotype and stereotypes in movies are bad and we shouldnt watch movies or else we'll be bad.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

he's a farm boy.

i don't think he's actually racist, but he does have a very country-simple interpretation of the world

#5 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

wrong forum.

#6 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:43 PM

Yeah.

Basically this is the product of people reading way too much into what they see.

Would you prefer to have Darth in a blue or pink outfit?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#7 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

I think this topic belongs to the ''Star Wars Fan Conevention'' not the ''Debate Club''.

And I think that Lucas doesn't like Asians. Then why do those Trade Federation guys have Asian accent?
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:08 PM

(obviously) I don't spend much time in this forum.

But considering how inflammatory the topic is, I'm all for where it is. smile.gif

#9 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:45 PM

I dunno man, Lucas might well be racist, but personally I think he's redeemed himself with all the anti-republican anti-war sentiment in Film The Third so I'm willing to overlook it.

"So this is how liberty dies. To the sound of thunderous applause."

Anyway, quote from a funky interview transcript -

Kevin (Smith): Well, those are clearly supposed to be Japanese people.

Simon (Pegg): Therefore they must be bad! It's when the first aliens spoke in The Phantom Menace – 'Oh, herro!' and it was like 'NOOOOO!!'

Simon: I wrote a thesis on Star Wars when I was at university about the racial equivalence in Star Wars and all the kinds of social things that had gone on in the film. And in terms of movie archetypes, Chewie was like the faithful Polish gunner in a World War II movie. And there were certain racial types that were filled by aliens. It's film theory, so you can call it rubbish. But I think that in the later ones, it was so much more evident. These creeping fears in society were being brought out rather unsubtly.

Edgar (Wright): But you know, the wily Japanese take-over. These are the things that trouble a billionaire tycoon. It's not something that bothers the man on the street, you know what I mean?

#10 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

What? vader is black? i thought he was the stereotype of nerds in big hats. wait, im thinking of nick moranis.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#11 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

I still say that they should have kept James Earl Vader instead of putting some pasty cue-ball in the suit.

It would have made him cooler and made Luke a bit cooler by proxie.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#12 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:45 PM

And I think that Lucas doesn't like Asians. Then why do those Trade Federation guys have Asian accent?

wait, let me write that one down before I forget it.

#13 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:15 AM

I never noticed those things in the films I've seen... I think sometimes you've really gotta be looking for something like this to have it apply.

But this has been done to death so often by such annoying characters that it makes my computer sad to display it on the screen. Do carry on, but for sanity's sake don't post pictures of Nazis.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#14 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:25 AM

This is taken from a Simon Pegg interview in FHM from a few years ago

FHM: We read that your university course thesis was a Marxist interpretation of Star Wars – was that really true?

SP: Yes – although I read it now and just think, “What the hell was I thinking?” My opinion was that it was just made to make Americans feel better about themselves, post-Vietnam. So all the aliens were these racial stereotypes: Lando Calrissian was the black, double-crossing scumbag, Chewbacca a kind of faithful Polish gunner type and so on. But it’s so much more blatant in The Phantom Menace. The Trade Federation are obviously Japanese – the “Yellow Peril” that Americans are so frightened of. Then there’s the money-grabbing salesman with this hooked nose – evidently Jewish – and Jar Jar Binks is just this comedy gay Jamaican. I mean, George Lucas is a fucking madman. And he’s got no neck.

#15 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:31 AM

I believe I love Simon Pegg. First Spaced, then Shaun of the Dead, now this. He is a God.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size