Chefelf.com Night Life: Bats... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Bats...

#1 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

Bats have taken over my house in the past few days and i just want to know who likes them, and who is deathly scared of them like batman.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#2 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:09 AM

I like them. I remember going to the zoo when I was a kid on a school trip and we went to a chamber were the zoo had some night creatures including bats. The girls freaked out, but me and some friends found them awesome. Since that day I read Batman comics...
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#3 User is offline   Whirlpool Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:36 AM

I like bats. I've had the opportunity to see wild ones up close during camping trips, and they are interesting creatures to observe.

#4 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:18 AM

I don't know why people give me funny looks when I say I think bats are cute*. They are!

*I rarely use the "C" word.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:24 AM

I think bats are pretty rad. They're definitely interesting creatures at any rate.

#6 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:34 AM

They're *awesome*. I used to live in this house out in a rainforest, and one morning I wandered into my bedroom (sloping ceiling) and there's this tiny tiny bat hanging from a rafter at around waist height. I sat there and looked at it for ages while it wriggled around doing whatever it is bats do. The wings are surprisingly soft-looking, not leathery at all. Sorta like a velvet membrane. At night it would fly around the room eating mosquitos. It was cool. I'd hear this whine near my ear, and I'd be all, "Fucking mosquitos," and there'd be this *swoosh* and a rush of air and there'd be no more mosquito.

They've got awesome sonar. The same bat would flap around the downstairs level now and then and would look really erratic and ungainly, but it would never hit a thing, and would always head straight for the smallest gap of an open window with uncanny precision. I can't imagine there's a grain of truth in the 'caught in your hair' myth. Makes me wonder where that idea came from.

Fruit bats are less cool. They're all huge and ugly and screechy and spend all night in the trees fucking and fighting. Sucks to be you if you happen to have a mango tree in the backyard or something. They do look cool flying around on a clear night though.

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:39 AM

I have been witness to a bat getting caught in someone's hair, so I know that it can happen. I've never bothered to find out how they can get confused though. Maybe this is only something that the dumb bats do.

#8 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:57 AM

Bats are always fun. We don't get enough here, so its a nice treat when, on holiday, I see a couple of bats flitting around.

On another note, is/was Batman scared of bats? Seems a bit odd to me...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#9 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:26 AM

Becoming Batman had something to do with confronting his fear of bats. See "Batman Begins" damn it!

#10 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:09 AM

Batman Begins is all about taking your fears and using them to drive you. I'll save the rant for the other forum (or probably I won't because I don't feel like discussing it with rabid fanboys) but he's a bat because bats scare him, and by becoming Batman he has, in essence, become fear itself.

#11 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jul 10 2005, 04:48 AM)
Bats have taken over my house in the past few days and i just want to know who likes them, and who is deathly scared of them like batman.

I'm not afraid but I also don't like them that much.

One cool thing, though... if you have a bat flying around outside and you throw a rock upwards, high in the air, they'll follow it, circling it, as it falls down to the ground. I use to do that when I was little.
Must have something to do with the radar thing.
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size