Chefelf.com Night Life: Umm.. Locking threads randomly? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Umm.. Locking threads randomly?

#31 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:20 AM

I've had a look at the thread, and I agree that it was due for either a mod popping in and saying "Play nice, children" or deletion. It descended into meaningless one-upmanship, which is not the mark of a good debate.
If you have a problem with any moderators then starting a public thread in a forum where it doesn't belong is no way to deal with the situation. If you disagreed with Slade's actions, it would have been in your best interest to simply contact another moderator and have them review the thread in question to get a second opinion or something.

#32 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:18 AM

LMAO, talk bout bureaucracy... i'm not pming other mods to "review" my case. I know how things like this work, once a thread is removed, its gone for good. Listen once someone points out the diff between that thread in another , ill shutup, till then its over.

#33 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:38 AM

No, it's not, actually. That thread with the off-site debate thing was initially kicked by me because it looked like solicitation, but somebody stuck it back in here. We admit when we're in err, or when somebody wants to throw a thread they don't want to deal with at another person...

This post has been edited by Slade: 08 July 2005 - 03:40 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#34 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:51 AM

All 'deleted' threads are actually removed to a seperate 'invisible' forum which only mods can see. If a thread shouldn't be there, it can be moved back.

#35 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jul 8 2005, 03:38 AM)
No, it's not, actually. That thread with the off-site debate thing was initially kicked by me because it looked like solicitation, but somebody stuck it back in here. We admit when we're in err, or when somebody wants to throw a thread they don't want to deal with at another person...

We'll i'm not goin to the trouble to get a thread back. I just wanted to see if the thread was randomly selected to be deleted or if there really was a reason, and i guess its the first. Nothing in that thread was any diff from say the Iran thread or even worst threads like the God one. If you can't see that as a Mod, theres no point in asking another mod.

This post has been edited by Renegade: 08 July 2005 - 04:35 AM

#36 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:38 AM

We're moderators, not gods. We can't read every single post in every single thread every day. If we miss something, we rely on the users to use that "report" button to let us know that there is a post that could be taken as offensive. From there, we use our best judgement in removing the offending posts. If there's something in these threads that bothers you, or that you think could be breaking a rule or two, please let us know! We'd be happy to take a look at the problem for you. We're all generally very good about helping users with problems on the board if we can. If a post is reported, it generally goes to me, and I deal with it at my own discretion.

#37 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:02 AM

Ya but you already said you agreed so what would be the point? I have no idea what debate is except for one-upmanship. The question is that competetion still professional and orderly which it was. And since i've been here its the only thread removed yet i've seen every other thread be the same or worst (atleast that thread had facts being presented and clear and genuine argument-counter arguments)

#38 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jul 7 2005, 02:32 AM)
You had some good posts in that thread, JM. So did other people (not me)  IT was one of those threads that you looked forward to seeing who posted next.

IT's almost impossible to stay friendly in heated debates!  I've heard some 'professional' debates at the University of Alberta, and even they get nasty.  The crowd laughs when one guy burns another.

You should post more often, I feel like a lone ranger sad.gif against everyone

#39 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (Renegade @ Jul 8 2005, 05:02 AM)
I have no idea what debate is except for one-upmanship.

There's your problem right there.

#40 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:38 AM

Well, debate means having a formal discussion. One-Upsmanship is pretty much simply arguing. I can tell the difference, and what you and JM were doing was simply arguing. I occasionally get into arguments, and often into debates, so I am a pretty good judge.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#41 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Renegade @ Jul 8 2005, 10:02 AM)

*opens Dictionary.com*

de·bate Pronunciation Key (d-bt)
v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
v. intr.

1. To consider something; deliberate.
2. To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
3. To engage in a formal discussion or argument. See Synonyms at discuss.

one-up·man·ship (wn-pmn-shp) also one-ups·man·ship (-ps-)
n. Informal

The art of outdoing or showing up a rival or competitor, as in exploits, privileges, or honors.

There we go, sorted. As a veteran in both the fields of debate and oneupmanship (moreso the latter than the former), I can tell you for a fact that if you're going to do either right, the other must stay at home.

Pimp'd! thumbsup.gif
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#42 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

Whatever you say, if anyone here actually thinks debate isn't for trying to out argue your opponent, your really not being realistic.

#43 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Renegade @ Jul 8 2005, 03:32 PM)
Whatever you say, if anyone here actually thinks debate isn't for trying to out argue your opponent, your really not being realistic.

Well if it's oratory you need to play to the crowd, so I see your point.

Actualy, I can picture the crowd:

"That Renegade is such a scoundrel, a scoundrel who know's his stuff"

or,
"No...they can't!, They can not allow that Chyld fellow to argue with the aid of a dictionary! Unfair I say! (hollers to the dais as the salon suddenly falls quiet)"

#44 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Rhubarb @ Jul 8 2005, 03:51 AM)
All 'deleted' threads are actually removed to a seperate 'invisible' forum which only mods can see. If a thread shouldn't be there, it can be moved back.

stop ruining the mystique...

next you'll be telling them about our liquor, sex, poker room!!!

#45 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:50 AM

There's an invisible forum for deleted stuff?
That's a handy trick... if one was a moderator and could acess the mod and admin control panels, how would you find the forum for deleted stuff?

And, as for Renegades thing of debate and one-upsmanship, I think the Monty Python skit would have educational value.

Still - a debate isn't a game or a competition - a contest perhaps but not a competition. The aim is to establish and support your point of view - and though counterpoint is something that is supposed to be there - but looking at a debate as though it is an argument, or as though you are supposed to beat the other guy does not produce a proper debate.

Edit - just to be clear, when I say a debate isn't an argument that's true - an argument is a kind of debate but they are not synonymous.

This post has been edited by Mnesymone: 14 July 2005 - 02:56 AM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked