Chefelf.com Night Life: Umm.. Locking threads randomly? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Umm.. Locking threads randomly?

#16 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Jul 6 2005, 09:08 AM)
Start another debate if you want,nyour bitching here only seems to serve the purpose of taking cheap shots, but stop whining about the moderator, because Slade does a damn fine job of a near impossible task round here.

I wasn't taking a cheap shot, but when a mod does something he should be able to explain it. And I didn't say he wasn't doing a general good job, but I've never liked mods who lock threads when there really is no reason. I'm a mod on another forum, and I always get in arguments with the other staff about locking threads and excessive control on what people say.

#17 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Renegade @ Jul 6 2005, 05:06 AM)
Especially from someone who quote unquote thinks America is imperialistic and thinks Bush is a tyrant. OH THE IRONY  thumbsup.gif

Yes, It's amazing how you can see this both ways. the use of caps and emoticons is especially good to prove that your not being sarcastic\insulting. Since you're a 'mod' I'm sure you can appreciate this.

If all that you say is true then why didn't you PM you arguments to slade directly instead of starting public thread? Why didn't you give us all the facts to begin with? If Slade locked a thread and told you why then it would really help your case to put that in your initial post instead of accusing him of 'randomly' locking threads?
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#18 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

It was Slade. He said it had gotten "entirely out of hand".

Again, it was just two people bashing each other over the head with opinions over and over, and I for one won't miss it. But that's pretty much what the Debate Club is for really, the people posting in it seemed to enjoy it in their own warped way, and I didn't see a reason for a deletion/move IMO...

/shrug

#19 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

I wasn't aware that people could delete or modify threads. Can anyone tell me how to do this as I feel a little totalatarianism attack coming on.

P.S Soothsayer is now my favourite person for chucking a line of mine in his signature. God, if only mum could see me know ... thumbsup.gif

#20 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

Who? Me? Well, it was a good one liner.

But my name is Kirby, soothsayer is just a title.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#21 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Jul 6 2005, 07:52 PM)
Yes, It's amazing how you can see this both ways. the use of caps and emoticons is especially good to prove that your not being sarcastic\insulting. Since you're a 'mod' I'm sure you can appreciate this.

If all that you say is true then why didn't you PM you arguments to slade directly instead of starting public thread? Why didn't you give us all the facts to begin with? If Slade locked a thread and told you why then it would really help your case to put that in your initial post instead of accusing him of 'randomly' locking threads?

The reason given was that we were "quoting each other" too much and that it basically got out of hand. Pretty ridiculous if you compare it to other threads, anyway this thread is pointless now that Slade has decided to not answer for what his decision was. As usual moding in forums is always a wreck unless the mods really keep themselves as a passive role.

#22 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:49 PM

Oi. Slade's modding methods aren't "a wreck". He moved a thread, and some people don't like it, so let's chalk it up to experience. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone kick up any real fuss over a mod action here.

#23 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

Eh? What's all this? I've been busy lately, and haven't been able to lurk on the forums like Batman waiting for the signal to swoop in and stop craziness.

But if I simply must state an explicit reason here for something I do, lest everybody run around yelling something like "FACIST! ADMIT IT!", what little intelligence was in that thread had degraded into Renegade and JM shouting at one another and various other people cheering them on from the sidelines. And that was after it had calmed down for 20 posts or so. Throw in some flaming, endless repetition, mix all together in a shaker, add ice and serve DELORTED with a dash of dry.gif.

Renegade: It wasn't random, but if you'd really really like it to be moved back you can ask ChefElf very nicely to review it for you. If I was wrong in my judgement, I'll take responsibility for it. And my PM to you was unrelated to the mod action.

As usual, assuming makes an ass out of you, and jumping to conclusions is still a stupid idea for a mat.

And thanks to you guys that appreciate what I do. You can't please everybody, but it's nice to know that some people understand what it all entails.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#24 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

Forget the experience, let's secede, like we did in that one thread I started once that noone was very serious about and resulted in a lot of quibbling. It was ap erfect simulation of politics!

But seriously, the thread was starting to get mean, so I can see where a preemptive strike could have been warranted, though I don't agree with it.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#25 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:32 AM

You had some good posts in that thread, JM. So did other people (not me) IT was one of those threads that you looked forward to seeing who posted next.

IT's almost impossible to stay friendly in heated debates! I've heard some 'professional' debates at the University of Alberta, and even they get nasty. The crowd laughs when one guy burns another.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#26 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:42 AM

My two cents? That entire thread can be summed up by that picture Rhubarb did. You know the one? That one Rhubarb did? Someone help me out here.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#27 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:52 AM

this one?

(It was in the Iran debate, but it's too still funny to waste.)
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#28 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:08 AM

:D

edit: Screw you, Laughlyn.

This post has been edited by Rhubarb: 07 July 2005 - 05:08 AM

#29 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

That picture is so great.

It makes it even funnier that neither of them even bothered to notice it. :D
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#30 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jul 7 2005, 12:04 AM)
Eh? What's all this? I've been busy lately, and haven't been able to lurk on the forums like Batman waiting for the signal to swoop in and stop craziness.

But if I simply must state an explicit reason here for something I do, lest everybody run around yelling something like "FACIST! ADMIT IT!", what little intelligence was in that thread had degraded into Renegade and JM shouting at one another and various other people cheering them on from the sidelines. And that was after it had calmed down for 20 posts or so. Throw in some flaming, endless repetition, mix all together in a shaker, add ice and serve DELORTED with a dash of dry.gif.

Renegade: It wasn't random, but if you'd really really like it to be moved back you can ask ChefElf very nicely to review it for you. If I was wrong in my judgement, I'll take responsibility for it. And my PM to you was unrelated to the mod action.

As usual, assuming makes an ass out of you, and jumping to conclusions is still a stupid idea for a mat.

And thanks to you guys that appreciate what I do. You can't please everybody, but it's nice to know that some people understand what it all entails.

What are you talking about shouting at each other? Trying to back up arguments with opinions and facts and point by point counter arguments is now "shouting" at each other? Neither of us was offended by the other and nobody else was flaming or spamming it. I can't see how that thread was ANY different from ANY other thread in this debate forum. I'm not gonna send it for review cause i know how forums and mods work, when one makes a decision the other backs no matter what. Plus you could come up with ANY reason you wanted to close a thread and nothing I could do as long as you "believe" its "shouting". Thats why threads should only be closed when both the mod AND individual members feel they are being abused/flamed.

Anyway whatever.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked