Chefelf.com Night Life: Foolish Frog Flames Fine Foreign Food - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Foolish Frog Flames Fine Foreign Food Tuesday, July 5, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

Chirac pours scorn on Britain - and haggis

JACQUES Chirac has mocked Britain and singled out haggis for particular scorn in front of Germany and Russia's leaders, just days before he enjoys the hospitality and cuisine of Gleneagles at the G8 summit.

The French president even jokingly blamed his country's poor relationship with NATO on attempts by Lord Robertson, the former secretary-general, to coerce him into trying haggis.

He also risked the wrath of Britons by telling Gerhard Schröder, the German chancellor, and Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, that "one cannot trust people who have such bad cuisine".

His jibes, made at a three-way summit in Kaliningrad, Russia, have ruffled diplomatic feathers just two days ahead of the announcement by the International Olympic Committee over which city will host the 2012 Games. Paris is favourite, closely followed by London.

Mr Chirac's comments appeared in the French newspaper Liberation yesterday, the day that Tony Blair started lobbying Olympic voting officials in Singapore.

Mr Chirac - believing he was out of earshot of the press - had told his German and Russian counterparts that he had been forced to eat an unappetising Scots delicacy by Lord Robertson, adding: "From there sprang all our difficulties with NATO."

The French have been at odds with the military alliance following their push for a European army, which the Americans fear will undermine NATO.

Mr Chirac also inflamed sensitivities over British beef and BSE, in a reference to Britain's row with Europe over the Common Agriculture Policy.

"The only thing they [Britain] have contributed to European agriculture is the mad cow," the president said. Britain's cuisine was also the second worst "after Finland", he added.

However, Mr Chirac appeared more prepared to set aside his differences with the United States. When Mr Putin asked Mr Chirac what he thought of hamburgers, he replied that he preferred them to British food.

Egon Ronay, the food critic, disputed Mr Chirac's gastronomic tastes with a robust response: "A man full of bile is not fit to pronounce on food."

He added that "no other country in the world" had such an improved cuisine.

Tony Blair's official spokesman insisted it was better to maintain a dignified silence, but the Prime Minister could not resist a dig at his rival when asked what he would say to Mr Chirac if Paris was victorious.

Mr Blair said: "I just hope I'm commiserating with him rather than congratulating him."

It was too late for No10 to rise above trading insults, after consultants to London's bid criticised Paris's flagship stadium, forcing Tessa Jowell, the Culture Secretary, to issue an apology.

Mr Chirac may also have difficulty snubbing haggis at the G8 summit. The Queen will host a dinner for the world leaders tomorrow night at Gleneagles Hotel, where Scotland's finest is likely to be on the menu.

http://thescotsman.s...fm?id=737612005

*reins in his temper*

1.) Weren't our fine friends, the French, supposed to ahve big ol' heards of cattle with BSE? If I'm right, he's a fine fat (ahem)head to talk.

2.) Snails? Snails? And you're moaning about cod-damned haggis?

This is why you should always check your mike is off, otherwise you'll get coshed in the night by an Englishman with a nosering and a Maglite.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

But what about the cucumber sandwhich? Smoked salmon? Chips? Any number of potato dishes? England has some fine food, I say. The guys invented the sandwhich!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

hmmm... tough choice... who's side do i take...

the people who gave us cornish pasties or the people who gave us chocolate croissants?

still it's nice to see the french defying the stereo type that they are all pompas arrogant insulting and condescending jerks!

wink.gif

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

..and i'll bet he feels like an absolute ass now...

This post has been edited by barend: 07 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:44 AM

Oh hell yes. Lost the Olympic bid and had to have "revolting English" dinner with the Queen. However, I'm too lazy to make a picture saying "Ha ha you suck", as was the tradition when Busted split. Still, HA HA SILLY FROG! biggrin.gif

Less Is More v4

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

i meant more because he insulted a country publicly and then they got bombed...

you'd feel like shit, really.

#7 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:13 AM

Well, that as well then.

Less Is More v4

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size