Chefelf.com Night Life: The Darth Plaguis problem - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

The Darth Plaguis problem not only the name is bad...

#16 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (julie123 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:45 AM)
Someone lend Anakin (or showmethemoney) some glasses he's obviously short sighted.

I mean passion blind Yourusename, not you Julie123! I'm with you. ohmy.gif

#17 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

Is darth plaguis even mentiond in the EU?
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#18 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:04 AM

I don't seem to understand what the criticism is. I thought it was pretty clear that Plagueis *was* the Sith Palpatine learned his powers from. Plagueis, I imagine, was not a "nice guy" at all -- but he did love people. Y'know, not everything is black and white...even people who are commonly considered evil have loved others.

Only a Sith thinks in absolutes, people. wink.gif

Everyone criticizes Anakin's turn because Palpatine is the stereotypical villain. "He might as well have been twirling a moustache," one reviewer said. How could Anakin not see through him?

You have to keep in mind that Anakin trusted Palpatine -- alot more than he trusted any Jedi. Look at the scenes between them...Palpatine treats him kindly and encourages his abilities. In AOTC, Anakin cites Palpatine as an example of a respectable politician; later, he states that politics don't work in the current form..."someone wise" would be needed to make everyone agree, to make decisions for the populace. Hmmm, wonder who Anakin is thinking of....

Anakin is desperate...*and* he learns that his long-time mentor and friend is actually that which he had sworn to fight. That might make you reconsider your views on the Sith, learning that the only person who really treats you kindly (as you see it) is a Sith.

Ontop of *this*, the Jedi Council has been acting in ways that have definitely made Anakin question their loyalty to the Republic...such as giving him a secret mission to spy on the Chancellor and talking about removing the Chancellor from office despite the wishes of the Senate. Anakin doesn't turn just because Palpatine tells him to -- he turns because he's confused, he's desperate, and the actions of the Jedi are making him feel very, very uneasy.

I thought it was all handled well.

This post has been edited by DarthTherion: 08 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

#19 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:20 AM

You have to keep in mind that Anakin trusted Palpatine -- alot more than he trusted any Jedi. Look at the scenes between them...Palpatine treats him kindly and encourages his abilities. In AOTC, Anakin cites Palpatine as an example of a respectable politician; later, he states that politics don't work in the current form..."someone wise" would be needed to make everyone agree, to make decisions for the populace. Hmmm, wonder who Anakin is thinking of....

The question you should be asking yourself is WHY does Anakin trust Palpatine more than the Jedi. Obi-Wan has been Anakin's 'father' for over 12 years. I think it pretty safe to assume that he has also treated Anakin kindly and trusted his abilities. Anakin also refers to Padme as a politician he can trust in ATOC, why then in ROTS, doesn't he get her side re how politics work, she seems pretty clued up to me. Also, you refer inaccurately to that politics scene in ATOC - Anakin says they need a system where people can sit down and discuss problems etc and Padme very kindly points out to him that they already have such a system but that it doesn't always work because people don't always agree. And that's when Anakin suggests putting someone in place, someone who will make it work and Padme tells him, yes a dictator. Hmmm, wonder who Padme was thinking of ...

Anakin is desperate...*and* he learns that his long-time mentor and friend is actually that which he had sworn to fight. That might make you reconsider your views on the Sith, learning that the only person who really treats you kindly (as you see it) is a Sith.

Anakin has another long-time mentor and friend - Obi-Wan. One whom he spent a lot more time with than Palpatine, one whom Anakin considers has been like a father to him. Anakin's switch to the darkside has nothing to do with Palpatine being a mentor etc, and more to do with is own self interest, that is keeping Padme alive.

Ontop of *this*, the Jedi Council has been acting in ways that have definitely made Anakin question their loyalty to the Republic...such as giving him a secret mission to spy on the Chancellor and talking about removing the Chancellor from office despite the wishes of the Senate. Anakin doesn't turn just because Palpatine tells him to -- he turns because he's confused, he's desperate, and the actions of the Jedi are making him feel very, very uneasy.

I think you will find that Palpatine asked Anakin to spy on the Jedi Council before the Jedi Council asked him to spy on Palpatine. Interesting how this didn't seem to effect his conscience. Palpatine relocated the power of the Senate in himself, this was against the Constitution and moreover the Senate, I think the Senate were more bothered about this little matter, than the Jedi removing the Chancellor from his office.

Anakin does indeed turn against the Jedi because Palpatine tells him to, Palpatine is obviously acting against the Constitution and the Senate, and his classes in how the Constitution worked would have told him this.

This scenes weren't handled well at all. I hate to think of Anakin transposed to Earth during the 1930s. Just think of how Hitler could have used him. Oh wait, Hitler had many Anakins, they were called Himler ....

[/quote]

#20 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:24 AM

Well, it is kind of hard to see him as a fully rounded character when his name is Darth Plagueis.

This is only one micron better than just going ahead and naming him "Darth Evilguy."

#21 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Xombie @ Jul 8 2005, 08:24 AM)
Well, it is kind of hard to see him as a fully rounded character when his name is Darth Plagueis.

This is only one micron better than just going ahead and naming him "Darth Evilguy."

Extracted from Luca's Cool names notes:
Darth Villanous
Darth Vicious
Darth Infamous
Darth Faked
Darth Agnian
Darth Laden
Darth Money
Darth Anonimous
Darth Tilaginosous
Darth Tender
Darth Olomeus Simpson
Darth Badder (mmhh resembles Vader too much)
Darth Youbuyingthistory?

This post has been edited by showmethemoney: 09 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

#22 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

*micron* tongue.gif

Darth Mean
Darth Nasty
Darth Hesabadguyyouknow
Darth Darth

Darth Pander
Darth Gasp
Darth Vacant
Darth Stumped
Darth Bored
Darth Bloat

Darth Diggler

#23 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

jajajaaa

Oh, and i think this is the place for this conclusions:
Anakin is Sandpeople's son!
That's why they kidnapped his mother and did'nt kill her!
Was a family thing.
They never accepted Anakin bicouse he hate the sand!
And that's why she did'nt confess who is Anakin's fhater to Qui Jon, she was a cheap prostitute talkin to a monk. She lied!
She was the sandpeople sex-toy. Warhto used to rent her to them and she was their favorite, but after the expulsion of little Anakin she stop visiting them, so they took her back.
It's all in the next cartoon: SW: The Sand Menace who covers the pre-PT times.

This post has been edited by showmethemoney: 09 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

#24 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

mellow.gif

#25 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

The idea that Anakin went to the darkside for love is just a bit silly. I've seen times where people did evil things for love in the movies, but you have to actually work at this to make it plausible. Slaughtering a bunch of kids so that some guy will help you to keep your wife from MAYBE dying is stretching the limits of plausibility.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#26 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

Yeah. Darth Plaguis is a really stupid name. Even Darth Pippy sounds better...
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#27 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:13 PM

Showmethemoney- That post rocked by the way.

As for Darth Plagueis' name, it's good that it's so memorable so we can all ridicule that character. I still think it was a mistake to not have Palpatine as an apprentice and a Sith master above him to be the evil one for most of the prequels. That would have given it an element of mystery and surprise. The whole time we could have been wondering how the Sith lord became Palpatine, only to discover that his apprentice took him down and became the emperor we know.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#28 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jul 11 2005, 12:13 AM)
Showmethemoney- That post rocked by the way.

As for Darth Plagueis' name, it's good that it's so memorable so we can all ridicule that character. I still think it was a mistake to not have Palpatine as an apprentice and a Sith master above him to be the evil one for most of the prequels. That would have given it an element of mystery and surprise. The whole time we could have been wondering how the Sith lord became Palpatine, only to discover that his apprentice took him down and became the emperor we know.

Great idea! thumbsup.gif
One of the mayor weakness to conceive this prequels is the notion that we all know who is gonna become the Emperor. (Except lucas, who write the Palpy character with that useless mistery aura)

#29 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

If it could have been done it would have been one of the greatest plot twists in modern film making, probably even rivaling the Luke I am your father thing.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size