• Last »

Death Penalty The waif said let there be a topic

#1 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

My two pennies:

I support the death penalty, but it is to be only given to people that support the death penalty. This way, we can have some political cleasing by stopping people being right wing headcases by fighting them at their own game, the right wing attitude of "If it's broken, shoot it and if its not broken, fucking break it". They don't mind kicking other people but call you anti-*insert your nationality here* if you suggest a better place for them to insert their foot.

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 03 July 2005 - 04:09 PM

#2 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:20 PM

I agree.

Let them support capital punishment while staring down the barrel of a gun! Or syringe, or whatever
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#3 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Jul 3 2005, 04:20 PM)
I agree.

Let them support capital punishment while staring down the barrel of a gun! Or syringe, or whatever

Dear GOD,

My boyscout troop leader says that your avatar looks like a Bangkok she-male preteen hooker.
Can you please capitaly punish him for me?

-Bobby

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:04 PM

i don't like death penalties, purley for the sake of inccorect arrests, phone book beating induced confessions, and lack of closure for families of victims (one day you may want ask them questions), not to mention psychological study.

i'm also somewhat morally opposed to it...

but... having said that, if someone pulled a knife on me and demanded my wallet, i'd have no quams about tearing out thier epiglotus from their throat.

i'm a heat of the moment guy...

revenge is a dish best served while it's still on the stove!!! that way they can't slap that 'premeditated' crap on your ass!
thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by barend: 03 July 2005 - 07:05 PM

#5 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

Aye. Death penalty is cold-blooded, premeditated revenge... the most vicious kind of murder. I can't say for certain that I'd be of the same mind if someone had killed a person I care for, but I'd like to think that I still wouldn't advocate death penalty.

I also think I'd derive little satisfaction from watching a bunch of total strangers end the perpetrator's life as part of their daily routine. Much more satisfying, and somehow more honorable, to go to their house with a two-by-four and stave their fucking head in while you're still overcome with blinding grief and anger. The victim's family coldly watching the execution from behind glass strikes me as horribly ghoulish. Makes me ill... more so than the original murder.

Perhaps if the party who is advocating death penalty is the one who pulls the trigger. That way you get the double-whammy of knowing justice was served personally, and you also get to live with the fucking consequences of your actions rather than smugly hiding behind 'the law killed them'. Maybe that will make someone think twice about revenge-killings, if they were the one pulling the switch. Wheels of justice my arse.

#6 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:30 AM

See, putting aside the moral ramifications of "we're going to kill them because they killed someone.. erm, hang on...", there's no bloody point in the death sentence. Why? Dead people don't learn lessons. Its very hard to be made to feel remorse for yor crime if you're six feet under in a wooden box.

William the Conqueror had the right idea. Rather than killing criminals, he gouged out their eyes. Not sure if that just plays off of my eye phobia, but I see something like that being more effective. But I'll bet my gonads the hypocritical asshats wouldn't take to it.

Now, you can go back to detailing why its wrong for reasons of taking human lives. smile.gif
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#7 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:54 AM

Well, that's exactly why the "IT'S NOT REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!11" argument holds as much water as a seive. What other possible purpose is behind execution? Prisons keeps dangerous murderers away from society pretty effectively, and they sure as hell can't rehabilitate from death. Not that anyone's terribly likely to rehabilitate from a spell in prison either, but at least there's always an offchange.

#8 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

I'm against the death penalty for two reasons:
- because justice will never be 100% perfect and there'll always be a chance of killing inocents.
- because I think that being in prison for a long, long time is more than punishment enough (although in my country we don't have the "life in prison" option nor does the various crimes a person might have commited sum up to, say, 244 years or something like that; the max here, for any crime that's serious enough, is 25 years).
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:55 AM

Rather than a death penalty, why not just put all prisoners to work. Not licsence plate forming, but real work. Jails could be sweat shops. Prisoners that work hard could get a couple years shaved off.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

Slave labour, you mean?

#11 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

Pretty much, yeah. But I guess for most it's more like indentured labor. They get out after they serve their time.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#12 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:06 AM

I can't think of a worse punishement then having to work with out pay. And inmates that are productive could get a reduced sentence.

This could also help eliminate slave labour in foreign markets. It could be done at home with criminals.

It sounds crazy but so does every great idea.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#13 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

So does every crazy idea.

#14 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jul 4 2005, 03:06 PM)
I can't think of a worse punishement then having to work with out pay.  And inmates that are productive could get a reduced sentence.

For me it's much worse to just do nothing all day. And let the years, slowly, pass by. Argh.
And I don't like reduced sentences.
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#15 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

Britain is an odd country... you can be sentenced to life in prision, but only go to prision for like 15 years... so if you will someone that is 30 years old, shouldn't you get two life sentences... since 15 years according to our system is one life?

PS Yes, I know I'm hi-jacking my own thread

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 04 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size