Chefelf.com Night Life: Trapped in Vernon - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Trapped in Vernon

#1 User is offline   Officer B Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:54 AM

As an employee for the little known website "ebay.com", I am stuck in the town of Vernon, British Columbia for 5 weeks working with an outsourcing company. Please tell me what life is like in the real world, so I may keep up to date.

P.S., please use simple language, as living in the bush with it's native inhabitants has made me unresponsive to all but monosyllabic communication.

#2 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

Man, I'm jealous. I wish I worked for a dot com and was in British Columbia.

The real world is not all that spectacular. Nothing much going on here. I've been a bit busy lately so I haven't been quite as prolific as I'd like to be here on the forums or elsewhere. tongue.gif

I hope everything else is well. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#3 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

Trapped? I am also envious as I'd prefer to be living in the interior of British Columbia rather than the Lower Mainland. If you have some spare time drive down to Kelowna. It's only about a 40 minute drive. That may change you mind about being "stuck" here in British Columbia wink.gif

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 27 February 2005 - 01:33 PM

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:13 PM

No kidding. Big White is one of the best mountains in the province. Whistler, frankly, is overrated.*

I appreciate your frustration at working at an outsource location. Don't work too hard, since those are the guys they'll be giving your job to when they decide to outsource your workload as well. devil.gif

PS: Not really joking. ebay stock is still in the toilet, man.

*Well, ok, it's great, but it's overpriced.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   Officer B Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

Don't get me wrong. I love British Columbia. I live in Vancouver, after all. Yes, Kelowna is lovely. However, I'm in Vernon, which is less so. I went up to Silver Star a couple of days ago for some wonderful snowboarding.

As for eBay stock, yup, it's down the crapper. However, with a 2:1 stock split three weeks ago, I'm in the money. The french have a term for it: "Descendre le crapper, mes doublez la moolah".

And no, I don't lose my job. smile.gif We're outsourcing the shittiest work possible, so we never have to see it again.

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:08 PM

Hmm. With a 2:1 stock split, I imagine what you do to see what your stock is worth compared with late December, is to double the value. So the stock's worth $42, or about $84 pre-split. Late December it was topping $110. That puts you down $26/share pre-split, or $13/share on twice as many shares post-split.See here!

I hope you're right that it's for the best, and that the stock will climb and make you money. But you're not "in the money" just yet: you now have more shares of a tragically devalued stock.

Note to everyone else: eBay stock is tragically devalued. Now is the time to buy. It will make Officer B happy, prove me wrong, and possibly make you some money!

As for outsourcing "The shittiest work possible," I'm not even sure what that would be, but there's no reason they won't come after your work later, once they prove that this other work, formerly done by guys just like you, can also be done by the good people of Vernon or, God forbid, Indonesia.

Anyway, have a nice time, and don't get anyone pregnant (nod to MC) thumbsup.gif .
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

Oh thanks Civ. BTW, I did receive your shipment. We both shall knew if our "virtual baby" is on its way later this month smile.gif

As to being in British columbia - HOW exectly is life in British Columbia and in what way is it worse than living in Vancouver?

My mum has a dread of living in a village since she, as a young girl desperately wanted to get out of there and live in a town. Now she is stuck in a village again, and has fresh air, lakes, woods to walk her dog, garden to work, and if she needs anything from the shops, there is a car to drive. She has her TV, and never goes to cinema anyway. What else is there to be missed in big city?

Unless, of course you are fond of heavy clubbing.

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:30 AM

Vancouver is a city in British Columbia. Sorry, ammend that. Vancouver is THE city in British Columbia. Other large towns include the provincial capitol Victoria, great also-ran ski resort Kelowna, and jewel of the north Prince George. Vancouver is the place to be, containing as many people as the rest of the Province. It has a good number of parks and plenty of recreation, and yes, movies.
However, everything is sprawled all over the place, it's similar in that way to LA, but without the amazing system of highways. It's a pain in the ass to drive around. But if oyu want to get away from the city to hike, ski, sail or climb world-class rocks, everything is available from 30 minutes to two hours away.

#9 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:36 AM

Really, reading the above it seems to me that only a matter with living in Vernon is driving a little bit longer from thereto reach all these places to hike, climb or sail. Not exactly urban amusements, are they?

As for films, you can always rent a DVD a few monts later.

Anyway, it really is a matter of having time to do these things.

#10 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:35 PM

Don't misunderstand me. I understand you don't have a map of Canada in front of you. Vernon is a dusty little hellhole a short drive away from the very nice smallish town of Kelowna. Kelowna is however landlocked and while there is boating on some nice lakes, and a wonderful ski hill, and plenty of outdoors, there is no sailing.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you are a city person or not. I like cities, and I like that Vancouver has ways to get out of the city, unlike, say, LA, that I compared it with. LA has boating and that's about that. Vancouver has mountains and forests and lakes and the great big fucking Pacific Ocean, which is awesome.

Also Vancouver's DVD rental houses will carry obscure titles, while Vernon's mom and pop shops and Blockbuster franchise are less fantastic.

#11 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:11 PM

Between Kelowna and Vanouver, everything is a vernon. Golden, Hope, etc... All those places give me the creeps.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#12 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

Hm, I am a village person. The idea of a place far, far away from any big city is very appealing to me. Even better - far away from a mind-eating job in a corporation that just sucks away your soul.

Problem is, I need this mind-eating job just to enjoy the hiking, climbing and or even an occasional drive to see the pathetic excuse of a sea that we have here.

Right now my social life is limited to the forum. This is my only entertainment in the long hours at work. Pretty pathetic, I suppose.

Will you take me one day to see the big fucking awesome ocean? blush.gif

#13 User is offline   Officer B Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:50 PM

Well Civilian, you understand my problem. Vernon is dusty and tiny, and is driving me mental. It never rains here. After 24 years of living in Vancouver, you need 1 day of solid rain every week to keep you from turning into a dry and scaly lizard-man.

Kelowna is quite nice, but it's basically a low-budget Vancouver. And the girls are skanky. I haven't seen a classy broad in weeks.

For anyone who is reading this who has never been to Vancouver, please understand that Vancouver is the closest you will get to a Utopia on this dreary planet.

Edit: Spelled Utopia "Uptopia"

This post has been edited by Officer B: 04 March 2005 - 07:07 PM

#14 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

Im still always amazed at how gorgeous this city is on a nice day.

But it seems Kelowna's skankiest has rubbed off on the woman here. Try driving down Robson on a Friday and Saturday night after the clubs close. The things the girls do on the streets is....well it's eye catching

#15 User is offline   Eckard Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:50 AM

Hi, Officer,
ok, being away from home is always crabby.
However, doing a quick exploration on the Vernon internet-sites I gather there would be quite a lot to explore.
Me for one, would hunt down those murals the have all over the place. Also the list of activities going on in the region looks anything but dull.
So I'd recommend to take a closer look.

After all "A hand you can't cut off, you have to shake."

Wishing you a pleasant time at Vernon
Eckard

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size