Page 1 of 1

Wes Anderson 4 for 4!

#1 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:24 AM

Never before have I ever put a director on a pedestal. Directors have never lured me in to the cinema, actors...maybe. That is until I came across Wes Anderson.

BOTTLE ROCKET
RUSHMORE (the best)
ROYAL TANNENBAUMS
LIFE AQUATICA

That's all of Wes' flicks. All 4 of them are in my top ten. Rushmore is my all time favorite movie. Never have a I understood, laughed at, or thoroughly enjoyed a movie so much. He shoots his films with wide angles, which I LOVE. One thing I hate about most modern films is all the different camera takes in a single scene. Old bogart or Cagney films all were shot with wide angles (I think all films back then were) It's so much easier on the eyes and also, if done right, feels more real.

Things I love about him.

1) Good use of the same actors. Just like Tarintino.

2) Great cinematography. Still over head shots of books sitting on desks, single scenes with no dialog that can sum up a character perfectly (Rushmore- scene where Bill is tossing golf balls in the pool, kinks song in back ground, bellismo! OR when Gene Hackman shoots his son with a beebee gun.)

3) Smart Humor. He doesn't go for the big joke, but the smart one. I love that.

4) Films never end the way I expect them too.

5) Character driven plots. I think that's the right term. His films focus on human relationships. My favorite.

6) Re-built BILL MURRAY. After watching Lost in Translation (which I originally hated but then later loved) Bill Murray became my favorite actor of all time. I feel that if Rushmore and Tannenbaums never happened, then Lost in Translation would not exist either, why? Because Wes Anderson took Murray's classic dead pan humor and elevated it from run of the mill comedy to smart dramatic comedy. The depressed and darker characters that Bill played in Wes' films are, what I think, inspired Sofia Coppola to write the character of Bob Harris in Lost in translation. In the special features, Sofia mentioned that she wrote the roll for Murray and if he refused the part, the film would not work. And I know Sofia saw Rushmore because the dude who played Max Fischer is her cousin!

For any one who has not seen a WES flick, go out and grab a copy from your local store. Any other people enjoy his work? Or how about the actors he casts?

I guess I also have to give credit to OWEN WILSON, since he helped co-write the scripts, but it's the talent of the director, and his style of shooting which really make the movies shine.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#2 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

I can't say that I like his movies all that much. I find his films, like his receipts, to be merely ok or underperforming. His films are quirky and employ a specific style of humor that one either really likes, or really doesn't.

However, he is vastly different and that is what Hollywood needs. Thus, I like him on principle. There are after all, very few originals operating in the film medium anymore. My favorite scene in Life Aquatic was the one with the dog where Jeff Goldblum whacks it and says, "Be still Cody." It was perfect in every way. It summed up Goldblum' character to a T. That scene played over and over in my head, and I couldn't stop laughing.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size